The virtues of formal nights & why we like them

keithm

Our two most recent cruises were on Royal Caribbean, but we did enjoy dressing up. It's pretty much the only time my wife gets me into a suit. Lol

My parents have been dressing up for church for decades (dad in a suit, mom in a dress), but for some reason have balked at the idea of doing so on the two cruises we've gotten them on (one Princess, one RC). Have never gotten a straight answer as to why. Hoping to change their minds with number three, next year. Fingers crossed.

I wore shirt and tie my entire working life-still like to dress up. Tux for formal night is great, one of the reasons we cruise. Princess seems to be holding to it more than others-Celebrity has surrendered, Royal gave up long ago. Love formal nights hope they keep going:)

I guess that you can call us “Old School” ;p as we have always loved “Dressing Up”! However, since we moved to Oklahoma we just don’t get that many opportunities locally!

Just a reminiscence, Prior to our first cruise to Alaska, we both went over 9 or 10 Etiquette videos on YouTube. Just to make sure that we wouldn’t embarrass ourselves.Then we found out that they constantly replace the silver-ware with each course! "WAH-LA" Problem solved!

Now back to Formal Nights, we always take my DW’s dresses, etc. and of course my new Tux! We both love to arrive early in the Piazza and find a place to watch everyone “All Dress to the Nines”! It’s so much fun to see everyone enjoying themselves going out for a great time!

But we never, cast dispersion's on those that choose not too! On one cruise, we wanted to have our pictures taken in our Hawaiian outfits and then had to rush back to the room and change into our “Best Bib & Tucker” for dinner with friends!;)

Rushed but we made it! Whew! :eek:

Just Mike

I love formal nights. I hope Princess never does away with them. I dress for dinner every night. If I wanted to wear shorts or jeans , I would just stay home. Dressing up for me is what makes cruising so special. If you don't want to dress up that night, there are other choices. Yes it takes a little effort, but my husband enjoys seeing me looking so nice. I love seeing him polished to the nines. It's a cruise! Make it special!:cool:

I love formal nights. I hope Princess never does away with them. I dress for dinner every night. If I wanted to wear shorts or jeans , I would just stay home. Dressing up for me is what makes cruising so special. If you don't want to dress up that night, there are other choices. Yes it takes a little effort, but my husband enjoys seeing me looking so nice. I love seeing him polished to the nines. It's a cruise! Make it special!:cool:

Thanks Love reading that. I'm glad most are enjoying this thread. Wish I was retired, so I could view the many threads on CC. But I'm still one of the worker bee's! I try to check on things in the early AM or late day/eve.

Oh man, lots to cover here, not even sure where to begin, or if I'll even try to put it all in one post.

Wife and I do love formal nights, but also the special atmosphere and sense of occasion that is created when making an effort for dining out and other events like theater, various holiday dinners with family and church, weddings and other special occasions.

I grew up with a very formal, old world family, but was raised in a pretty informal environment outside of them. So, while in most of my life, I do not dress up, any time there was a special occasion, we put out effort and cared about our appearances.

It's hard to put my finger on why I enjoy putting in the thought and effort to try to look good, but it's never been alien to me and never been something I dreaded.

I guess it's something about when I feel I look good, and I certainly feel good and want to be seen alongside my wife looking her best too. We also enjoy everyone else around us putting the effort in too.

So, for me, formal nights are one reason why I enjoy Princess. If I didn't want that, I'd look elsewhere. Lots of other options in cruise lines, but for me, the atmosphere created by encouraging everyone to put their best foot forward is something I look forward to. All of the lines I'm most interested in have formal nights and some level of formal evening dress. Those that don't are really low on my list.

For some reason, I'm intrigued by the mentality of others on these dress code and clothing threads and never thought I'd be one to comment on style. I'm very interested in classic style, and recently bought a tuxedo, mostly for cruising as I'm not sure when else I'd use it. But I really love sport coats, suits, ties, quality footwear, flattering jeans and various other things I look forward to wearing on non formal nights. Heck, for some reason I even love the planning. I've always loved travel planning, and now planning the wardrobe has become an interesting sidebar that I put quite a bit of thought into as well. We take a lot of luggage, so paying $50 or whatever for the baggage is just part of traveling.

Obviously there are those that don't want to participate in formal nights, and while I accept that, I don't share their thoughts, nor do I understand why they choose Princess instead of the other lines. I'm glad to see so many that also enjoy it and would hate to see it go away. If Princess dumped formal nights, there's a fair chance I'd jump immediately to Cunard and put serious thought into Silversea or blow off cruising in favor of independent travel, while still looking for ways to enjoy special nights out on the town with others who are like minded.

(y) Well said!

As much as I enjoy being able to just relax as far as clothing* on a cruise, I do enjoy dressing up**. I'll probably eventually get around to buying a proper tux, but for the moment my thai-tailored suit works just fine.

As to why I like dressing up? I just like feeling classy, and it's a simple way to look as well as feel classy, as well as showing you're willing to put in the effort on special occasions. Plus as someone who is quite young compared to many people I see on cruises, its really not that hard for me to take the 5-10 minutes to change into a suit (though sharing a cabin with others does slow things down a bit trying to move around haha).

*My relaxed/everyday clothing is "smart casual".

**Either in formal attire or in a costume, for princess formal nights, the former though.

Ditto.

Oh man, lots to cover here, not even sure where to begin, or if I'll even try to put it all in one post.

Wife and I do love formal nights, but also the special atmosphere and sense of occasion that is created when making an effort for dining out and other events like theater, various holiday dinners with family and church, weddings and other special occasions.

I grew up with a very formal, old world family, but was raised in a pretty informal environment outside of them. So, while in most of my life, I do not dress up, any time there was a special occasion, we put out effort and cared about our appearances.

It's hard to put my finger on why I enjoy putting in the thought and effort to try to look good, but it's never been alien to me and never been something I dreaded.

I guess it's something about when I feel I look good, and I certainly feel good and want to be seen alongside my wife looking her best too. We also enjoy everyone else around us putting the effort in too.

So, for me, formal nights are one reason why I enjoy Princess. If I didn't want that, I'd look elsewhere. Lots of other options in cruise lines, but for me, the atmosphere created by encouraging everyone to put their best foot forward is something I look forward to. All of the lines I'm most interested in have formal nights and some level of formal evening dress. Those that don't are really low on my list.

For some reason, I'm intrigued by the mentality of others on these dress code and clothing threads and never thought I'd be one to comment on style. I'm very interested in classic style, and recently bought a tuxedo, mostly for cruising as I'm not sure when else I'd use it. But I really love sport coats, suits, ties, quality footwear, flattering jeans and various other things I look forward to wearing on non formal nights. Heck, for some reason I even love the planning. I've always loved travel planning, and now planning the wardrobe has become an interesting sidebar that I put quite a bit of thought into as well. We take a lot of luggage, so paying $50 or whatever for the baggage is just part of traveling.

Obviously there are those that don't want to participate in formal nights, and while I accept that, I don't share their thoughts, nor do I understand why they choose Princess instead of the other lines. I'm glad to see so many that also enjoy it and would hate to see it go away. If Princess dumped formal nights, there's a fair chance I'd jump immediately to Cunard and put serious thought into Silversea or blow off cruising in favor of independent travel, while still looking for ways to enjoy special nights out on the town with others who are like minded.

Thank you for a really beautiful post.

One of the big reasons for cruising is simple: The most bang for the buck!

My first Princess sailing 1991 on the Crown Princess there were 2 semi formal nights (jacket and tie, cocktail dress) and two true formal nights (tux and gowns). The service in the MDR was white glove. Some food, was prepared table side. One of the entrées was surf and turf and deserts were Crepes Suzette and Bananas Foster. There was no such thing as anytime dining or specialty restaurants. Everyone was forced to eat in the MDR, yet you weren't squeezed in and the tables were spaced properly so you weren't in anybodies personal space. We were much younger and enjoyed dressing up for this special occassion. 26yrs later you hope the suit and dress you wore to the last family wedding still fit because you dread having to shop for another one time wear closet classic. Formal night attracts more passengers to the MDR than any other night. The thought of having to wait on line to be seated to be served a subpar meal in crowded surroundings sends chills up my spine. We still follow the dress code with a dark suite and cocktail dress as we do like to dress up and we wait to eat as late as possible to avoid the masses. I am rethinking our next cruise and possibly making reservations in the specialty restaurants. The money we save not buying a suit or new dress plus the money we save not having to pay to check a garment bag will more than cover the specialty restaurants or even a balcony dinner.

The reasons we like to dress up is because it's a special elegant occasion. Mass market cruise lines are no longer able to provide this atmosphere. Princess does a better job than the other lines but it's still a free for all atmosphere.

I like Formal nights because the MDR menu is generally a little more upscale.

I consider dressing up the price I pay for my lobster tails.

It's mostly the better food that attracts them. ;)

We're vegetarians (I eat fish but not shellfish) and formal night is usually the worst meal of the cruise for us! :((n)

Still enjoy getting dressed up and seeing everyone else dressed up, though.

We're vegetarians (I eat fish but not shellfish) and formal night is usually the worst meal of the cruise for us! :((n)

Last cruise on the Royal we had a sous chef in the buffet who make my wife a piece of salmon whenever she wanted it for dinner. We just let him know ahead of time so it was defrosted. ;)

I enjoy formal nights because Princess crew members welcome me to the MDR wearing slacks and a button up long sleeve shirt.

This is the way it is handled on all the ships I have sailed, and I will keep sailing Princess as long as they continue this.

Edited by swedish weave
Correct wording changed by spellcheck

I have found Chef to be extremely accommodating. On the day before formal nights, please let the head waiter or Maitre d' know what you would like for dinner on formal night that would make the experience special for you. If you ask for a meal using ingredients on board I am pretty sure they will make it for you.

My first Princess sailing 1991 on the Crown Princess there were 2 semi formal nights (jacket and tie, cocktail dress) and two true formal nights (tux and gowns). The service in the MDR was white glove. Some food, was prepared table side. One of the entrées was surf and turf and deserts were Crepes Suzette and Bananas Foster. There was no such thing as anytime dining or specialty restaurants. Everyone was forced to eat in the MDR, yet you weren't squeezed in and the tables were spaced properly so you weren't in anybodies personal space. We were much younger and enjoyed dressing up for this special occassion. 26yrs later you hope the suit and dress you wore to the last family wedding still fit because you dread having to shop for another one time wear closet classic. Formal night attracts more passengers to the MDR than any other night. The thought of having to wait on line to be seated to be served a subpar meal in crowded surroundings sends chills up my spine. We still follow the dress code with a dark suite and cocktail dress as we do like to dress up and we wait to eat as late as possible to avoid the masses. I am rethinking our next cruise and possibly making reservations in the specialty restaurants. The money we save not buying a suit or new dress plus the money we save not having to pay to check a garment bag will more than cover the specialty restaurants or even a balcony dinner.

The reasons we like to dress up is because it's a special elegant occasion. Mass market cruise lines are no longer able to provide this atmosphere. Princess does a better job than the other lines but it's still a free for all atmosphere.

The bolding is mine . . . statements I very much agree with. Our first Princess cruise was on the Coral last month. While there was a lot that we liked, it was a real disconnect seeing formally-dressed passengers standing around in the atrium with beepers. It brought back visions of high school kids in prom clothes waiting with beepers at a casual chain restaurant.

The illusion of better food. Last time I was on Princess the prawns were better than the rubber lobster tail.

On the last 3 or 4 trips the lobster was served on a casual night. The lobster is only OK but we sometimes bypass the DR for the buffet on those nights, which on the Royal is always outstanding.

The formal nights they had a beef fillet steak which was better than anything served at the buffet.

We have 20 cruises with Princess, and still LOVE Formal nights! I think it makes each cruise special. How often would we get to dress up like this otherwise? Never! I also dress up pretty nice for other dinner nights too. :D

I know others don't feel the same, and that's ok! It's nice to have options. :)

I Love formal nights and getting dolled up! I live on the beach in Florida so my days are spent in casual clothes and flip flops. I also dress up for the theatre. But on the ship it IS extra special, gliding down the spiral staircase, and having photos taken. I'm envious of all of the couples that have a hubby in a tux or their finest, but maybe one day I'll find my prince charming and he will be cruising with me. Until then, it's 86y/o DM

The bolding is mine . . . statements I very much agree with. Our first Princess cruise was on the Coral last month. While there was a lot that we liked, it was a real disconnect seeing formally-dressed passengers standing around in the atrium with beepers. It brought back visions of high school kids in prom clothes waiting with beepers at a casual chain restaurant.

60 something goes to the Prom. What is wrong with that? lol