The virtues of formal nights & why we like them

keithm

I love formal nights....for everyone else but myself. It provides me entertainment to see people dressed up not realizing that it not a requirement but if they enjoy dressing up, then why not?

Cruise long enough & the novelty wears off quickly. The whole formal routine on Princess will be gone shortly so the formalists should enjoy it while it lasts. It's the last mass market cruise line that hasn't officially eliminated them.

That's pretty much how I feel. I am quite happy NOT "Dressing to the Nines" but I do like watching those who enjoy all the fuss and have professional photos taken for the occasion.

It would be a shame to drop it completely. I'm not sure how formal nights affect the bottom line of a cruise line. I'd be interested to know if someone here has an idea.

I love this thread- thanks for starting it........

My wife and I have enjoy formal nights since our first cruise in our early 20's (Her) and 30's (I).

By now, we know what we look like, so it's more about the elegant atmosphere it creates than for us personally.

In a way, it makes us feel humanity can be dignified, sophisticated and worthy of admiration in a time where it seems to be regressing.

Looking at old photographs from the 20's - 30's and earlier, it's fascinating to see how even common people dressed in the cities just to take a stroll. They weren't all rich, but still managed to show class and pride in themselves thru a polished image.

Many may call the erosion of these standards "Progress" or freedom, but we disagree.

Thank you! I appreciate that. I'd still like the casual set to start their own thread dialog as well. That way there are 2 sides to the story. I will keep close watch on posters who start getting nasty(on both sides) and will not hesitate to have the "mods" intervene, if necessary. Do remember this thread is for the enjoyment of those of us who like the style of formal dress. I do try to consider others posts on this issue. I feel that those who want to forego the most formal of dress are welcome to do so. But I also impress on those that a little finery: Sport coat/tie & nice slacks & shoes can go a long way. I see enough of the "fleamarketeers" during the day, myself included(surprised?) who do like to kick it up a few notches to look a lot nicer at night. As Princess is really vague on after dinner dress, I kind of leave that one for Princess to figure out. For those of us who have cruised Cunard, we know the formal dress code is ship wide(exception winter garden & the Lido)That system works well for them & you think it's hard for Princess? try that on Cunard. Cunard is the cruise line we absolutely wear our tuxes. Though I'll need a refit the next time around.

The formal dress code only applies to the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues.

True. Smart casual is standard elsewhere on the ship. That obviously is really open to interpretation

I like the idea of country club casual rather than a formal night. That said, I like the idea of dressing for dinner a few nights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oceania seems to have that as their "shtick". Again, that one is really open for varying interpretation.

I really enjoy wearing my tux and seeing most everyone looking sharp. I think it really adds to the special experience of travel and the overall atmosphere of the ship on those nights. It seems like everyone acts a little more courteous and polite. That is the magic of clothing to affect attitudes.

I hardly ever get the opportunity to dress up, so enjoy doing so when I can. I know not everyone likes to do it, but for me, it makes a cruise extra special, and we take the opportunity to have some nice photos taken. I find it fun! :)

A tux is NOT necessary. Button shirt/slacks & shoes will, in most cases get you in. A sport coat will add to the flavor. Shorts are NOT acceptable at night in the MDR, unfortunately. Most lines still adhere to that.

Then why are kilts allowed....seems contradictory....a man's legs are a man's legs no matter how you dress them up?

The formal dress code only applies to the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues.

Yes, I know. This is why I avoid MDR during formal nights. As much as I like seeing sharp-dressed people, I do not particularly enjoy doing it myself. So I stay out of their way, and not mess up their night. Since a ton of people gather around Piazza before heading to MDR, I try not to loiter too much there.

jwattle,

You guys are going to love your cruise on the Rowboat. Formal night is a big thing on the Rowboat.

I love wearing my tux!! Billy Chrystal once said it's better to look good then feel good. :D :D

The Captain of the Rowboat,

Tony

10828987125_c9d28e5512.jpg

Bob

My wife and I have enjoy formal nights since our first cruise in our early 20's (Her) and 30's (I).

By now, we know what we look like, so it's more about the elegant atmosphere it creates than for us personally.

In a way, it makes us feel humanity can be dignified, sophisticated and worthy of admiration in a time where it seems to be regressing.

Looking at old photographs from the 20's - 30's and earlier, it's fascinating to see how even common people dressed in the cities just to take a stroll. They weren't all rich, but still managed to show class and pride in themselves thru a polished image.

Many may call the erosion of these standards "Progress" or freedom, but we disagree.

Well said. I completely agree.

Then why are kilts allowed....seems contradictory....a man's legs are a man's legs no matter how you dress them up?

It's not about whether or not a man's legs are exposed. It's about the level of formality of the clothes. Kilts are made in different styles and fabrics with varying embellishments.

My husband has a less formal kilt that he wears to appropriate occasions but would never wear on formal night. He is a straight up tux man on our cruise formal nights. However, some gentlemen own more formal kilts and those are on the same playing field as my DH Kiton tux.

In most cases, it would fall under the military uniforms section.

As many people to not comply with the dress code on formal nights and Princess does little to enforce it - the whole concept of formal nights should be abandoned.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most STILL do follow it within reason. So at the present time it is still in use. Some pax still get refused into the MDR. There DOES need to be some kind of dresscodes or you will start seeing pax trying to go to the MDR in bathing suits & such. I've seen it before at lunch.

Yes, I know. This is why I avoid MDR during formal nights. As much as I like seeing sharp-dressed people, I do not particularly enjoy doing it myself. So I stay out of their way, and not mess up their night. Since a ton of people gather around Piazza before heading to MDR, I try not to loiter too much there.

Just do "smart casual" around the Piazza.

Beautifully put!

Thank you! :D

It's not about whether or not a man's legs are exposed. It's about the level of formality of the clothes. Kilts are made in different styles and fabrics with varying embellishments.

My husband has a less formal kilt that he wears to appropriate occasions but would never wear on formal night. He is a straight up tux man on our cruise formal nights. However, some gentlemen own more formal kilts and those are on the same playing field as my DH Kiton tux.

For those of us that aren't Scottish - please ask him to wear the non-formal kilt.

I love to see a man in a tux but it is so much more special to see him in a kilt! :D

If you are thinking about a "utili-kilt" that I used to see sometimes - usually made from canvas or khaki type material and looks more like a cross between cargo shorts and a skirt then I would agree. A true kilt though, wool or wool blend with proper pleating (and worn at the proper length, not several inches above the knee) is a wonderful formal look.

My wife and I both enjoy dressing up for Formal nights. We lead a busy life and most of the time if we go out it is always casual. My wife ALWAYS looks great no matter what she wears (after 46 years of marriage)! But, Formal nights give her the chance to wear her best, go shopping for something new. No one dresses up anymore, not to go out, not to go to church seems lot not to anything. Dressing up takes us back to a time when maybe life was simpler for us all. So, dress up if you wish, or dress casual. All a matter of choice. But for us, we're dressing up.

DH and I take along the appropriate attire for formal nights, tux (or if his weight is up) dark suit, with a variety of cumberbunds and ties, and I take along gowns and very dressy cocktail slacks attire. We usually make at least one of the formal nights before we get "fooded out" in the main dining room, and resort to pizza for me, and burgers for him for dinner some evenings. When we are traveling with a group of friends, we do make it to all of the formal nights and thoroughly enjoy everyone being quite dressed up, providing the opportunity for a great group photo of the cruise. When we travel alone, we will make one or two of the formal nights, and generally be too tired from shore excursions or too relaxed from sea days to make the third and/or fourth in the series. But, we are definitely in favor of them.

For those of us that aren't Scottish - please ask him to wear the non-formal kilt.

I love to see a man in a tux but it is so much more special to see him in a kilt! :D

I agree completely. However, his is one of the utility kilts made out of a heavy black canvas. It weighs like 10 pounds (I have never weighed it so I am just making this up but it is incredibly heavy) and is beautifully made with wonderful detailing. When worn with the right shirt, socks, boots and belt it could be worn on a regular night in the MDR, but it would not be appropriate, in our eyes, for a formal night. Another poster mentioned the kilts made out of fine wool and these would be quite appropriate on formal night.

We are doing a quick 5 day Cabo cruise for Thanksgiving and I think I will pack it for that. He looks incredibly dashing in it:hearteyes:

However, my VERY favorite part is seeing men in dress military uniforms and in kilts.

I know both are very heavy to pack and so don't expect to see them any more on Celebrity so I am extremely grateful to Princess for keeping them!

I'm retired military and wish my Mess Dress still fit. If you think buying a Tux is expensive......Let's just say the only way I will ever get to wear my uniform again is to lose a lot of weight.

We started cruising with NCL and the "Casual" has sort of worn off. Granted even on NCL you will still see a few men in tuxedos or dark suits. Many more women dress than the men.

We are looking forward to being able to get "gussied up" on Princess.

As a humorous add on: Ever have a 42LB. Curling stone dropped on your foot? Then don't ever upset a Scotsman!(Longtime Curlers here!)

It'd be even better if you blokes admitted it's wonderfully romantic when you and your partner dress in beautiful formal wear.

You're absolutely right! It just makes you look your absolute best!