The virtues of formal nights & why we like them

keithm

I have worn my military mess dress(Air Force Tuxedo), I have rented tux's and shoes for other trips. By renting I don't have to pack a suit or shoes and don't have to clean it either.

Last cruise on the Royal we had a sous chef in the buffet who make my wife a piece of salmon whenever she wanted it for dinner. We just let him know ahead of time so it was defrosted. ;)

I have found Chef to be extremely accommodating. On the day before formal nights, please let the head waiter or Maitre d' know what you would like for dinner on formal night that would make the experience special for you. If you ask for a meal using ingredients on board I am pretty sure they will make it for you.

I wasn't complaining - just commenting.

We've ALWAYS found the dining room staff on Princess more than willing to accommodate!!! :D

I just have always found it funny (not sure if that's the right word) that people rave about the meals on formal night and the menu is always our least favorite.

Same thing on Celebrity and, while they accommodate, they're not always so amenable.

Astro Flyer was kind enough to post a link to some pictures on the Regal Balcony thread. I happened to also come across some pictures that were taken in the Atrium on formal night. If it wasn't for the Champaign tower I wouldn't have know that it was formal night. Everyone was dress very nicely but it was no way formal. Tux and gowns were far and few between. My question is where and when do all of you formal people sail? Maybe it's a regional thing? The pictures that I saw were even less formal than I remember on my last Princess cruise 5 years ago. It looked more like Celebrity Evening Chic.

Astro Flyer was kind enough to post a link to some pictures on the Regal Balcony thread. I happened to also come across some pictures that were taken in the Atrium on formal night. If it wasn't for the Champaign tower I wouldn't have know that it was formal night. Everyone was dress very nicely but it was no way formal. Tux and gowns were far and few between. My question is where and when do all of you formal people sail? Maybe it's a regional thing? The pictures that I saw were even less formal than I remember on my last Princess cruise 5 years ago. It looked more like Celebrity Evening Chic.

I have suspected for a while now that all the formal loving people don't actually dress formal at all. They think black pants and a bedazzled top pass for formal.

I have suspected for a while now that all the formal loving people don't actually dress formal at all. They think black pants and a bedazzled top pass for formal.

That wasn't even the case. More like a PTA or Church meeting. I'm not judging or criticizing everyone looked fine. It's just not a formal event. I have no objection to dressing either way. It doesn't ruin my cruise experience in any way. I just go with the flow. I just don't want to stick out looking showy in a Tux. If what I saw in the pictures is what is typical for formal night (I haven't sailed on Princess in five years) we will have no problem pulling something together from our closets.

You would be wrong on my account. I always wear a gown when I go to formal night in the MDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As much as I started this thread, we don't wear tuxes unless it's Cunard. We wear suits & ties & vests. On smart casual nights we still usually wear khakis with a sport coat. I've seen plenty of tuxes on smart casual. It looks nice, but I still like dress down just a bit at times on the casual nights, most especially if I got sun burned on a beach excursion.

We love the formal nights, but have no problem with those that don't. We don't get many opportunities to really dress up, and the fact that my DH looks fabulous in his tux certainly helps.

We did an Alaska cruise with my mom several years ago. She's one of those beautiful people that always thinks of others, but doesn't spend much energy on herself. She didn't want to dress up - said it was fine that "appearances were important to us," but they weren't to her. I told her that we didn't dress for "appearance's sake," but for how nice WE felt when we did it. Dressing your best just makes you feel your best. She listened.

She changed her mind, had a wonderful night, and looked more radiant that night than I've ever seen her.

I would NEVER trade that night for anything in the world!

You would be wrong on my account. I always wear a gown when I go to formal night in the MDR.

Ditto. I always wear a long dress. Black pants and a top is smart casual as far as I'm concerned.

But if the pants were a flowing palazzo style and the top was very elegant that might get close to formal.

We've sailed over 100 nights on Princess over the past five years and I have never worn pants on formal night. I have a couple of evening gowns and if there's more than 2 formal nights I recycle and/or intersperse with very upmarket cocktail dresses. My husband always wears a dark suit.

BTW on our last cruise there were 3 formal nights and lobster on one night only in the MRD. As an Australian I find the quality of the seafood on all cruise lines to be pretty sub standard anyway.

wishfulone, did you see my earlier post about Camilla? Page 2, I think.

Superlight (under 220g) for full length silk crystal embellished kaftans. They are fantastic for cruising. :) And they don't crease!

Yes, not the greatest seafood from our perspective but on a couple of cruises they've done prawns very well indeed, and I quite like the lobster. It's tasty even if it's not the type of lobster I prefer. Princess does cook it nicely.

Hehe! Kaftans have come a long way since then.

The Camilla brand is high fashion in Australia, not just for kaftans but other dress styles, pants, shorts, swimwear and so on. There is something for all age groups. My eldest granddaughter often likes the same designs as me but she picks styles that suit her age and I like the kaftans. This is my latest.

CamillaMoonDance_zpsi4vt9woi.jpg

The illusion of better food. Last time I was on Princess the prawns were better than the rubber lobster tail.

True I stopped ordering lobster on cruise ships. We can get great lobster around here, why have the bad stuff on cruise ships. Formal these days is whatever you make of it. My next Princess cruise in August I will dress up but I am not packing a tux, suit or jacket to drag around in Europe. A button down long sleeved dress shirt will be my formal attire.

That is usually what we see to....most of what many women wear on a cruise ship on formal nights fall in the category

of smart casual to me too.....a lot of leggings and sparkly tops....and sandals....:cool:

True I stopped ordering lobster on cruise ships. We can get great lobster around here, why have the bad stuff on cruise ships. Formal these days is whatever you make of it. My next Princess cruise in August I will dress up but I am not packing a tux, suit or jacket to drag around in Europe. A button down long sleeved dress shirt will be my formal attire.

They will probably let you in to the MDR just wearing a long sleeved button down dress shirt (and presumably long pants too) but you will DEFINITELY be under dressed. We recently came home from a Princess cruise to Europe and of all the people I saw in the dining room and waiting in line to get in every man I saw (presumably not necessarily some I did not see) was wearing at least a sport coat. Possibly I saw one person without a sport coat but did have a tie.

Enjoy your cruise. We LOVED ours!

They will probably let you in to the MDR just wearing a long sleeved button down dress shirt (and presumably long pants too) but you will DEFINITELY be under dressed. We recently came home from a Princess cruise to Europe and of all the people I saw in the dining room and waiting in line to get in every man I saw (presumably not necessarily some I did not see) was wearing at least a sport coat. Possibly I saw one person without a sport coat but did have a tie.

Enjoy your cruise. We LOVED ours!

LOL. I won't be underdressed. Third time on the ship and one of the times was out of the same port. I know better. When I started cruising I worried about being underdressed the first few times. Twenty years later and over 50 sailings I know what to expect.

LOL. I won't be underdressed. Third time on the ship and one of the times was out of the same port. I know better. When I started cruising I worried about being underdressed the first few times. Twenty years later and over 50 sailings I know what to expect.

Same here Charles. Around 30 cruises ago on Princess we just gave up on all the formal extras and never had a problem getting into the DR on any of their ships. Some people will hold onto that formal routine all their lives and be happy doing it.

We like to be relaxed on our vacation (along with the good food). :)

My husband and I dress on formal nights--he in a tux and I in long dresses and/or long black silk skirt with assorted brightly colored jackets. We both have enjoyed this as part of cruising and will continue to dress in this manner. When traveling overseas, I have silk outfits that don't take up much room or weight and works well with the other packing required for a lengthy trip. We continue to see many others choosing to do the same.

Hehe! Kaftans have come a long way since then.

The Camilla brand is high fashion in Australia, not just for kaftans but other dress styles, pants, shorts, swimwear and so on. There is something for all age groups. My eldest granddaughter often likes the same designs as me but she picks styles that suit her age and I like the kaftans. This is my latest.

CamillaMoonDance_zpsi4vt9woi.jpg

This is STUNNING!! I would love to purchase a few kaftans...do they ship to the US? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is STUNNING!! I would love to purchase a few kaftans...do they ship to the US? Thanks!

Yes, they do and there is a sale on at the moment so get in quick. Here's the link. http://www.camilla.com/

They bring out new designs every few weeks so if the current styles aren't what you like just wait a while and something is sure to pop up that you love.

Tip - they often show alternative ways to wear the kaftans so don't just look at the pictures, check the description. One style available at the moment, The Blue Market, doesn't look like a kaftan until you hover your cursor over it.

My (now) husband and I met in 2006 in May. And went on our first cruise that fall. At Christmas, I surprised him with a Christian Dior tux (gently used from E-bay--such a deal). He looks like a million bucks in it 11 years later. I have velvet pants and a fabulous collection of high-end (last call clearance from Neiman Marcus, ladies!) tops.

We love formal nights--something about dressing up is romantic and makes a cruise feel special.

And I like to go sit and watch all the little boys in their suits, the tweens in their first kitten heels, the guys in Zoot suits, and the women who still wear high heels! It is a parade of America. And makes me happy.

To each his own, but cruising without formal nights? I would be sad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have to stay away from this thread!!!

my kids have cruised with us 30+ times and we always wear tuxedos and gown. Family pictures, single kid pictures, etc. Would make a nice evening of it with the kids attending the evening show with us as well. since I am traveling alone with the 2 younger kids this time we thought we would pass this cruise on formal wear and just opt for room service and the kids getting back to club was their vote. I am starting to wonder if I will regret my decision once on board the ship for formal nights :)

OK, here goes. I'm starting this thread for those who enjoy the formal nights on Princess. I'm not talking necessarily about tuxes/gowns, but just dressing nicely for dinner on your cruise.Tell us what you like & why. Tell us what kind of outfits you have. They do not have to be traditional formal. There's some really cool stuff that's been seen on the Celebrity cruises with their "Chic" nights. There's also been some bizarre interpretations, too!

For those who like casual dress, you're more than welcome to read, but NOT to negatively comment. If you do so, it WILL be removed! You are more than welcome to start your own thread on what you like about casual cruising. This thread is dedicated to those who like dressing the part. As a warning to "US" as well: I will not tolerate negativity against those who like casual dress. Those that do will have their posts removed as well. I'm not always able to view the thread as I work long hours. If you see negativity from other posters, feel free to red flag that post & report it to the mods. They'll do the rest. I'm sorry it may seem as censorship to some, but as I said this is a site dedicated to those who love the thoughts of dressing for a great night aboard your ship.

For us, we just love the old style of dress from films such as Titanic(hopefully your cruise will end better!)or any James Bond film. When we did our first cruise in 2004 on the QM2, it was a blast! We don't bring our tuxes to Princess or Celebrity, as they are more subdued than Cunard, that & the fact that good eating has made it necessary to buy a new tux. We have good suits & that's what we prefer on these 2 lines. When we venture back to Cunard, we'll(ok, just me) bite the bullet & get refitted for a tux. Ok, music lovers, let's have fun & please play nicely! Thank you!

I also think it adds to the experience. +1

Our two most recent cruises were on Royal Caribbean, but we did enjoy dressing up. It's pretty much the only time my wife gets me into a suit. Lol

My parents have been dressing up for church for decades (dad in a suit, mom in a dress), but for some reason have balked at the idea of doing so on the two cruises we've gotten them on (one Princess, one RC). Have never gotten a straight answer as to why. Hoping to change their minds with number three, next year. Fingers crossed.

Maybe they want a change from the weekly routine. I notice so many of the formal night fans on this thread love to dress up because they rarely get to do so in their everyday lives. So maybe your parents are just like that but in reverse. They want something completely different from home for their vacation experience.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Forums mobile app