Questions about Mariner

Travelcat2: When and where was the refurbishment supposed to happen? We are also on the transatlantic on April 4 and are curious about where the refurbishment is done. Barcelona?

I can't remember details. It was suppose to be last year during hurricane season -- I think in the Bahamas. It wasn't just about the dry dock port sustaining hurricane damage but was also about the fact that there was nowhere to house the 1,500+ workers that needed to be on the ship to do the refurbishment. Unfortunately, lots of jobs were lost at that time.

Also not certain where dry dock will be next year. Barcelona doesn't sound right -- hopefully someone else will chime in.

Based on what I've heard, the ship is going to be amazing. Unfortunately, after next month, we have nothing booked on the Mariner through early 2020.

I agree with you. The suites were/are quite shabby. At least we know this advance and won't be shocked (again) when we board the Mariner next month. It is really a shame that the Mariner's scheduled refurbishment was blown away by a hurricane and that it has to sail in this condition for so long. If this is someone's first sailing with Regent, IMO, it would not be a good first impression.

Note: I am specifically referring to suites - not the public areas which look fine.

Oh boy. Our first Regent cruise is coming up, on the Mariner. These comments, along with other recent comments I've seen about the food... I guess we need to adjust our expectations.

The refurb will take place in Barcelona between March 14 and April 4.

The Mariner was to cruise from Rio to Miami in late Feb/early March (part of an original Miami to Miami South America cruise), but instead, was rescheduled to go from Rio to Barcelona for the refurbishment.

Oh boy. Our first Regent cruise is coming up, on the Mariner. These comments, along with other recent comments I've seen about the food... I guess we need to adjust our expectations.
h

IMO, you can have a lovely cruise on the Mariner. We made our issues about food known and expect that Regent will do what it takes to improve what we experienced last month.

When is your cruise? Ours is November 17th and we expect to have a wonderful 25 night cruise. The only thing that I would say is not to judge the suites. You may have to overlook some carpeting stains (carpets are not dirty - there are just stains that cannot be removed and will be replaced next year.). As mentioned, the public spaces are lovely (this is one of the biggest pluses of the Mariner). Also, the theater is much better than the Explorer which is saying a lot - especially coming from someone who is completely enamored with the Explorer.

Also want to repeat that the food in Signatures (soon to become Chartreuse) and Prime 7 was wonderful. The areas they need to address is food temperature in La Veranda and they need to bring back their staple items (whole turkey, turkey breast, fish and chips, etc.). Their pasta station was fine - no problems whatsoever. The soups needed attention.

Keep in mind that, if you don't have an excursion during lunch, you can dine in Compass Rose. The food there should be fine. The biggest tip that I can give is to find a server in CR and stay in that server's section. Not only will they learn your preferences and can make recommendations based on that, if you have an issue with food temperature and mention it to your server, you can be sure that it will not happen again.

Hoping that you have an amazing cruise on the Mariner.

I'm not quite sure that I want to overlook stains and such. For WHATEVER reason, the redo of the ship did not take place in a timely fashion. I felt (on an April cruise) that the cabin was rather tatty, drapes in some disrepair and balcony cushions were in need of a cleaning. I still believe there were staffing problems. When I went to check drawers and such, under the bed was a sock, candy wrappers, a box of cough drops and some sticky tic tacs stuck to the rug which needed a good vacuuming. This stuff obviously was from some other occupant. Just not up to snuff.

Fizzy - I would have been really, really disappointed to have found the things in the stateroom that you mentioned. Would I "report it"? Of course I would! But it doesn't seem to me that on a "luxury" cruise line, that the customers should have to be doing the "quality control checks" for Regent, under any circumstanc. And if someone tries to justify the stains and condition of curtains and cushions in a "suite" (which you encountered) by saying that it will all probably be corrected on the next retrofit - that doesn't solve "my problem and disappointment" at that moment and it doesn't in any way remediate or "fix" those conditions I might encounter on "my cruise"! The cruise I paid 5-star prices for! But I suppose if the attitude is that "if this particular Regent cruise wasn't so good, maybe the next one will be better".... In my case, there wouldn't be a "next one" for me. I don't have unlimited funds to "hope" that the next cruise will be better than the current one! I want them all to be a "luxury experience"! Best Regards

Fizzy - I would have been really, really disappointed to have found the things in the stateroom that you mentioned. Would I "report it"? Of course I would! But it doesn't seem to me that on a "luxury" cruise line, that the customers should have to be doing the "quality control checks" for Regent, under any circumstanc. And if someone tries to justify the stains and condition of curtains and cushions in a "suite" (which you encountered) by saying that it will all probably be corrected on the next retrofit - that doesn't solve "my problem and disappointment" at that moment and it doesn't in any way remediate or "fix" those conditions I might encounter on "my cruise"! The cruise I paid 5-star prices for! But I suppose if the attitude is that "if this particular Regent cruise wasn't so good, maybe the next one will be better".... In my case, there wouldn't be a "next one" for me. I don't have unlimited funds to "hope" that the next cruise will be better than the current one! I want them all to be a "luxury experience"! Best Regards

Pingpong agree totally with your thoughts here. It's not good enough to be told this will be corrected next year when you have patted with a vast amount of money for a luxury cruise.

There have been quite a few comments in this vein from recent guests review from Mariner. Issues that could easily be rectified should be irrespective of next years refit costs. Jean.

I can't remember details. It was suppose to be last year during hurricane season -- I think in the Bahamas. It wasn't just about the dry dock port sustaining hurricane damage but was also about the fact that there was nowhere to house the 1,500+ workers that needed to be on the ship to do the refurbishment. Unfortunately, lots of jobs were lost at that time.

Also not certain where dry dock will be next year. Barcelona doesn't sound right -- hopefully someone else will chime in.

Based on what I've heard, the ship is going to be amazing. Unfortunately, after next month, we have nothing booked on the Mariner through early 2020.

She will be in dry dock for a 50,000,000 Reno. This is what we have been told

We were on the Mariner in April 2017. Upon our return, I wrote that we were very disappointed in the ship's condition. I knew that the renovation didn't happen, as scheduled. And was rescheduled for a year later. Ok. Things happen. So we lived with the chipped furniture, stained carpet, and dirty balcony cushions. But --- that was no reason for the dirty windows in the dining room, the mold surrounding our balcony door, the poor service in the dining room- Luke warm food and long waiting for it to be served. This is not the Regent I am used to. No one seems to have answers.

We are on the Explorer in November. I hope that they haven't allowed that ship to deteriate this last year.

Sheila

We were considering the immediate to refurbishment cruise on the Mariner from Rio to Barcelona Cruise next February as I mentioned earlier in this thread. I am greatly relieved, given all the subsequent comments, that we did not book it and we will not. We will still continue to sail with Regent and maybe the Mariner after its refurbishment, as we like the line very much. But I cannot understand why they have let the Mariner deteriorate so much. I hope it is not one of the effects of the new ownership.

Edited by eliana

We were on the Mariner in April 2017. Upon our return, I wrote that we were very disappointed in the ship's condition. I knew that the renovation didn't happen, as scheduled. And was rescheduled for a year later. Ok. Things happen. So we lived with the chipped furniture, stained carpet, and dirty balcony cushions. But --- that was no reason for the dirty windows in the dining room, the mold surrounding our balcony door, the poor service in the dining room- Luke warm food and long waiting for it to be served. This is not the Regent I am used to. No one seems to have answers.

We are on the Explorer in November. I hope that they haven't allowed that ship to deteriate this last year.

Sheila

Thank you for echoing our observations... I think the same cruise. I didn't want to get a big fuss going here but we totally agree with you. It was an out of sync cruise.

We were considering the immediate to refurbishment cruise on the Mariner from Rio to Barcelona Cruise next February as I mentioned earlier in this thread. I am greatly relieved, given all the subsequent comments, that we did not book it and we will not. We will still continue to sail with Regent and maybe the Mariner after its refurbishment, as we like the line very much. But I cannot understand why they have let the Mariner deteriorate so much. I hope it is not one of the effects of the new ownership.

As has been mentioned, the delay in the refurbishment of the Mariner was due to a hurricane. When we were onboard last month, they were still doing regular maintenance including revarnishing railings on the deck, painting the exterior of the ship when it was docked, cleaning windows, cleaning carpeting, etc. If there was something out of the ordinary in terms of maintenance and it was not brought to anyone's attention, it could easily go unnoticed.

To go off topic for a moment, the first several months that the Explorer was sailing there were issues that needed to brought to the attention of the General Manager. Unless or until these items were reported, it would have been very difficult for someone to notice them unless they were staying in a suite overnight while the ship was in motion. I bring this up to emphasize the importance of letting people know what was wrong.

So, if there is mold somewhere in your suite, tell someone. Someone will be in your suite to fix it the same day. If windows are dirty on the outside - it is likely weather related. If it is on the inside, it should be noticed by the crew but certainly should be reported.

Food issues can occur on any ship. I did not comment during my cruise last month about the food temperature and quality (in La Veranda) but put it on my comment card and also reported it to corporate as we felt that the issue was far beyond anything that we have experienced on Regent previously. We have been assured that food issues are being addressed and that we will find the food up to Regent's standards when we board next month.

Should this happen on luxury cruise lines? Absolutely not but it does (and most of you that read other luxury boards know that this is true). It isn't about the food quality as it is the same on all of Regent ships. Rather it is in the preparation, delivery of the food (or in the case of LV, the food temperatures in the bins). The recipes are also the same on all ships. However, I know that if my DH and I prepare the same dish - from the same recipe, his will come out wonderful and mine would be mediocre at best.

My history of issues on Regent are few but they are almost always remedied. This is true when it was Radisson, Regent under PCH and now Regent under NCLH. To mention a few:

1. Cruise on Voyager 2006 - badly stained carpeting (not fixed - this was an issue with the carpeting that continued for at least two years.

2. Cruise on the Navigator - under PCH. Food issues. Had a piece of grouper that couldn't be cut - even with a knife. Mentioned food issues - they were resolved.

3. Cruise on Navigator - also under PCH. Cold soup, etc. F&B Director met with us -- food issues resolved.

4. Voyager - 2 different cruises - butler issues. One butler argued with every word that I said. When I said that we needed laundry bags he said that there were there already. I had to show him that there weren't. We "traded in" both butlers.

5. Explorer - November, 2016 - whistling doors (common issue on the ship at that time). People were in the same day to do a temporary fix.

My point is that we need to speak up ....... calmly, respectfully and to the right people. Not saying anything and then bringing it up on CC is not really fair to Regent or to passengers that will be on future cruises. OTOH, I certainly "get" why people don't bring up issue but, IMO, if it isn't brought up, we should not complain after the fact (I'm including myself in that statement).

The Mariner is not as bad as some people are saying ........ nor is it as good as the other ships in terms of decor, carpeting and furnishings. However, there is no reason for the service and food not to be as good as all of the other ships.

Speaking for myself, in the future, if something is not right, I will not only report it to the responsible manager onboard but will report it on CC and will also report what steps were taken to correct the situation. If it is not corrected, this will also be noted. I will start by going back to our Alaska cruise last month -- when the side dishes came up lukewarm in CR, we told our server and it never happened again. I did not mention the food in LV so it remained lukewarm with watery soup and uninspired food for the entire cruise (lesson learned!).

As has been mentioned, the delay in the refurbishment of the Mariner was due to a hurricane. When we were onboard last month, they were still doing regular maintenance including revarnishing railings on the deck, painting the exterior of the ship when it was docked, cleaning windows, cleaning carpeting, etc. If there was something out of the ordinary in terms of maintenance and it was not brought to anyone's attention, it could easily go unnoticed.

To go off topic for a moment, the first several months that the Explorer was sailing there were issues that needed to brought to the attention of the General Manager. Unless or until these items were reported, it would have been very difficult for someone to notice them unless they were staying in a suite overnight while the ship was in motion. I bring this up to emphasize the importance of letting people know what was wrong.

So, if there is mold somewhere in your suite, tell someone. Someone will be in your suite to fix it the same day. If windows are dirty on the outside - it is likely weather related. If it is on the inside, it should be noticed by the crew but certainly should be reported.

Food issues can occur on any ship. I did not comment during my cruise last month about the food temperature and quality (in La Veranda) but put it on my comment card and also reported it to corporate as we felt that the issue was far beyond anything that we have experienced on Regent previously. We have been assured that food issues are being addressed and that we will find the food up to Regent's standards when we board next month.

Should this happen on luxury cruise lines? Absolutely not but it does (and most of you that read other luxury boards know that this is true). It isn't about the food quality as it is the same on all of Regent ships. Rather it is in the preparation, delivery of the food (or in the case of LV, the food temperatures in the bins). The recipes are also the same on all ships. However, I know that if my DH and I prepare the same dish - from the same recipe, his will come out wonderful and mine would be mediocre at best.

My history of issues on Regent are few but they are almost always remedied. This is true when it was Radisson, Regent under PCH and now Regent under NCLH. To mention a few:

1. Cruise on Voyager 2006 - badly stained carpeting (not fixed - this was an issue with the carpeting that continued for at least two years.

2. Cruise on the Navigator - under PCH. Food issues. Had a piece of grouper that couldn't be cut - even with a knife. Mentioned food issues - they were resolved.

3. Cruise on Navigator - also under PCH. Cold soup, etc. F&B Director met with us -- food issues resolved.

4. Voyager - 2 different cruises - butler issues. One butler argued with every word that I said. When I said that we needed laundry bags he said that there were there already. I had to show him that there weren't. We "traded in" both butlers.

5. Explorer - November, 2016 - whistling doors (common issue on the ship at that time). People were in the same day to do a temporary fix.

My point is that we need to speak up ....... calmly, respectfully and to the right people. Not saying anything and then bringing it up on CC is not really fair to Regent or to passengers that will be on future cruises. OTOH, I certainly "get" why people don't bring up issue but, IMO, if it isn't brought up, we should not complain after the fact (I'm including myself in that statement).

The Mariner is not as bad as some people are saying ........ nor is it as good as the other ships in terms of decor, carpeting and furnishings. However, there is no reason for the service and food not to be as good as all of the other ships.

Speaking for myself, in the future, if something is not right, I will not only report it to the responsible manager onboard but will report it on CC and will also report what steps were taken to correct the situation. If it is not corrected, this will also be noted. I will start by going back to our Alaska cruise last month -- when the side dishes came up lukewarm in CR, we told our server and it never happened again. I did not mention the food in LV so it remained lukewarm with watery soup and uninspired food for the entire cruise (lesson learned!).

Respectfully disagree here. There are more than a handful of people reporting the standard of the cabins. Last year on Mariner our cabin/suite whatever you prefer to call it was fine. On the other had other passengers we met had a different story to tell of their cabin conditions.

If you are paying lots of money well I am sorry that's not acceptable. It won't cost much to replace drapes and carpets to individual cabins that are unacceptable. That is the type of routine in house maintenance that should be standard on a luxury cruise line.

You have mentioned lukewarm food. In my books this could lead to consequences for passengers?

It is not something we have encountered, but if so it would be promptly mentioned to the appropriate staff.

Jean.

Respectfully disagree here. There are more than a handful of people reporting the standard of the cabins. Last year on Mariner our cabin/suite whatever you prefer to call it was fine. On the other had other passengers we met had a different story to tell of their cabin conditions.

If you are paying lots of money well I am sorry that's not acceptable. It won't cost much to replace drapes and carpets to individual cabins that are unacceptable. That is the type of routine in house maintenance that should be standard on a luxury cruise line.

You have mentioned lukewarm food. In my books this could lead to consequences for passengers?

It is not something we have encountered, but if so it would be promptly mentioned to the appropriate staff.

Jean.

I am not stating that the suites are in pristine condition. They are not and some people will find that unacceptable - not arguing that point either. However, if there is mold in your suite, it should be reported immediately. It is easy for mold to begin on the outside doors of a cruise ship or any damp areas (heck - if I didn't dry my shower after each use, there would be mold as I live in a humid area).

The biggest issue that I saw was the wood furniture that is chipping. This will not be replaced until refurbishment. While I don't like to see stained carpeting, I wonder how/when carpeting could be replaced while the ship is in service. I have not seen drapes, or soft goods (sheets, towels, etc.) that are not up to par. Regular maintenance has continued as normal. The public areas are in great shape (even though I don't like the chairs in the lounges).

One poster mentioned trash and belongings from a previous cruiser in their suite. Of course this is unacceptable. The housekeeping manager should have immediately been aware of this and it should go against the record of the steward/stewardess. However, this has nothing to do with the Mariner being overdue for refurbishment.

I posted photographs of our suite. Yes - the sofa is older as is the furniture. However, IMO, if the service is top notch, the food is excellent and the suites are clean, I'm happy. I will take photos of our suite next month as well. And we have friends staying in another suite category and I'll ask them about their suite.

Most people booked on Mariner cruises that will occur prior to refurbishment are already in the penalty stage so whatever we have to say about the ship is likely not going to change anything. Obviously, if there are food or service issues, they should be brought up and addressed. If we don't speak up about food and service issues (also unrelated to the refurbishment), the same people that prepared the sub-par and lukewarm food on the Mariner could be on the Voyager, Navigator or Explorer next. It behooves us to let them know.

We have some vocal CC members that will be on the cruise prior to ours. I look forward to what they have to say - both positive and not so positive.

Jackie -

Sorry to disagree with you but I think you are missing the point. When we pay top dollar for a "luxury cruise", we expect "luxury". We love Regent but that doesn't excuse a shabby ship because it wasn't refurbished on time. No excuses about hurricanes etc. RSSC should have made every effort to maintain the ship to their quality standards at all times. That's just the way I feel.

Sheila

Sorry to disagree with you but I think you are missing the point. When we pay top dollar for a "luxury cruise", we expect "luxury". We love Regent but that doesn't excuse a shabby ship because it wasn't refurbished on time. No excuses about hurricanes etc. RSSC should have made every effort to maintain the ship to their quality standards at all times. That's just the way I feel.

Not disagreeing with how you feel. You and I probably have a different definition of shabby which is okay. What concerned me about your cruise is the mold. While this can happen on any ship, it should have been taken care of immediately. The food issue should also have been addressed.

As I mentioned in my last post, if the food issue is not fixed, it could spread to the other ships (if the Head Chef and/or F&B Director go to another ship). I am doing what I can to bring awareness to Regent management but others need to do the same. They aren't just going to take one passengers word on the situation.

Certainly agree that high standards should be met at all times on Regent ships. However, for better or worse, we have had to live with the suite furniture because it would be difficult (if not impossible) to replace the furniture in all suites without taking the Mariner out of service. While the ship will be gorgeous next year, sadly, we won't see it as we have nothing booked on the Mariner after next month. So, we will have spent 35 nights on a ship that needed refurbishment. All the experience has done for us is to make us want our future cruises to be on Explorer (although we have 2 cruises next year on Voyager).

Anyway, not disagreeing with you or most other posters - just stressing the need to speak out about things that can be fixed on Mariner right now ...... no reason to wait until next year for food and/or service issues (and it is only fair to say that the service on our September cruise was superb!)

Hey Jackie

I hope that Regent reads all our comments here on CC. If they care about their reputation, I am sure most issues would be fixed.

If they are not reading these threads, they are making a serious mistake. Add one hour to the comment card reader's day --and it would produce more information than their comment cards, which takes a lot longer to read.

Regards

Sheila

Hey Jackie

I hope that Regent reads all our comments here on CC. If they care about their reputation, I am sure most issues would be fixed.

If they are not reading these threads, they are making a serious mistake. Add one hour to the comment card reader's day --and it would produce more information than their comment cards, which takes a lot longer to read.

Regards

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

They definitely read CC (for better or worse). As good as CC can be, the numbers of members compared to the numbers of passengers is so small so they probably need to read those questionnaires as well. I doubt if many people write as much as I do (I add about 2 typewritten pages of comments to the questionnaire). Most of the questionnaire should be easy to scan (or maybe there is a computer that can scan them?!)

Jackie

I am not stating that the suites are in pristine condition. They are not and some people will find that unacceptable - not arguing that point either. However, if there is mold in your suite, it should be reported immediately. It is easy for mold to begin on the outside doors of a cruise ship or any damp areas (heck - if I didn't dry my shower after each use, there would be mold as I live in a humid area).

The biggest issue that I saw was the wood furniture that is chipping. This will not be replaced until refurbishment. While I don't like to see stained carpeting, I wonder how/when carpeting could be replaced while the ship is in service. I have not seen drapes, or soft goods (sheets, towels, etc.) that are not up to par. Regular maintenance has continued as normal. The public areas are in great shape (even though I don't like the chairs in the lounges).

One poster mentioned trash and belongings from a previous cruiser in their suite. Of course this is unacceptable. The housekeeping manager should have immediately been aware of this and it should go against the record of the steward/stewardess. However, this has nothing to do with the Mariner being overdue for refurbishment.

I posted photographs of our suite. Yes - the sofa is older as is the furniture. However, IMO, if the service is top notch, the food is excellent and the suites are clean, I'm happy. I will take photos of our suite next month as well. And we have friends staying in another suite category and I'll ask them about their suite.

Most people booked on Mariner cruises that will occur prior to refurbishment are already in the penalty stage so whatever we have to say about the ship is likely not going to change anything. Obviously, if there are food or service issues, they should be brought up and addressed. If we don't speak up about food and service issues (also unrelated to the refurbishment), the same people that prepared the sub-par and lukewarm food on the Mariner could be on the Voyager, Navigator or Explorer next. It behooves us to let them know.

We have some vocal CC members that will be on the cruise prior to ours. I look forward to what they have to say - both positive and not so positive.

Carpets could be replaced very quickly if need be. There is always spare carpet and soft furnishings in stock on any ship incase it is needed. You may not have seen this first hand but others have, and this is not what anyone is paying for on a luxury cruise line with a high price ticket?

We could go round the houses here with this topic to no avail. Jean.

I found the junk under the bed in the cabin as I was doing the final check through to disembark. I found it by accident and at the point we were ready to leave. As I mentioned, I felt they were short staffed but at any rate, I have no intention of seeking out managers, talking to heads of dept. or complaining about stained carpeting etc. when management clearly is aware of these things. Would they move us and redo the cabin? Sometimes there just aren't valid excuses The cabin just wasn't the oasis that we had come to expect.

If you (you meaning posters) feel that it is better to complain on CC rather than make a problem known to a G.M. that has his/her door open - so be it. Assuming that Regent knows about it? If that is that what you think - it is what you think.

As long as posters (particularly those new to Regent) know that there is a wonderful crew onboard that will do everything in their power to make things right, then they have the choice to speak to someone - or not. I will continue to encourage passengers to share information with the the new onboard. This is what Regent asks for - partly by giving out mid-cruise comment cards as well as a final questionnaire.

I, for one, do not want to spend my precious and expensive vacation time sitting in someone's office complaining about dirty drapes.....nor should I have to. A good GM should be walking the ship constantly and noting issues that need correcting on the spot. I agree with you about food not being hot and I would say to my waiter, "this food isn't hot". I don't need to go up a chain of command to point out that type of issue. It could be that it started out hot but sat unclaimed for serving because the waiter was overwhelmed. What I do know is that the suites did not get into the poor condition overnight nor 3 months ago. There really is no adequate answer to give people besides your explanations For goodness sakes Travelcat2, no one is blaming you for some of the disrepair. Maybe Regent should have lowered some of their price points on the unrefurbished as promised Mariner until they could deliver their usual product. Most of this discussion would not be taking place if Regent would keep on top of ongoing upkeep issues.