Bringing alcohol during embarkation

lemonela

Hello! I am cruising for the first time with Carnival and have a question about the 750 ml alcohol allowance. Although all over 21, some of my traveling companions frown upon alcohol consumption, and I have some concern about their judgement if I bring some wine along in my carry-on. When screened, does the staff take out the bottle to ensure that it's unopened and of appropriate size, or can I get by without my family knowing I'd prefer to have a drink by the pool?

They have not taken it out of my carry on in about 6 cruises...

It goes through the X-Ray Scanner and they can easily tell that it is 2 bottles of 750ml wine.

Sorry you have to hide what you would want to do, not sure how I would feel about cruising that way.

Hello! I am cruising for the first time with Carnival and have a question about the 750 ml alcohol allowance. Although all over 21, some of my traveling companions frown upon alcohol consumption, and I have some concern about their judgement if I bring some wine along in my carry-on. When screened, does the staff take out the bottle to ensure that it's unopened and of appropriate size, or can I get by without my family knowing I'd prefer to have a drink by the pool?

The allowance is for wine or champagne only.

In my experience it's hit or miss. My first cruise they sent us to a separate table unwrapped the wine (we had it in bubble wrap) and opened the end of the carton of our cans of soda and took one out looked at it and left the rest. The 2nd cruise at the same port a few days later they waved us through. 3rd cruise they didn't even blink at the wine but they attacked the cans of soda like they were expecting to find gold.

Sailed the Legend in May from Seattle. I was pulled away from the security line to another line where they asked to see the bottle of wine. Took it out and gave it a hard look. Any companions who followed me over to this line clearly saw why I was asked to step aside.

Maybe bring the topic up in a nonconfrontational way to the family. Mention you are bringing it and plan to enjoy a couple of glasses. If they are against it remind them you respect their right not to drink and they should respect your right to enjoy a couple of glasses of wine

I grew up in a very strict fire and brimstone "you're gonna burn in hell" Baptist family. For the longest time, even well into adulthood, I had to hide things from my family because I was concerned about what they would think or I was worried about them judging me. Everything from drinking to life choices to political leanings had to be hidden.

One day, I decided to hell with it. I am going to live my life and not worry about what anyone thinks. I decided that I can't go around living my life trying to fulfill other people's expectations of me.

So, if you want to have a drink by the pool -- have one. If you want to bring a bottle of wine and sip on it on your balcony during sail away or watching the sunset, then do it.

Believe me!! I know what I am talking about. You will be much happier and believe me they will get over it. And if they don't then that is their problem -- not yours.

Have a good trip!!!

I brought a few mini bottles of wine that totaled 750ml and they pulled each one out of my bag at Charleston. I found however, that they scrutinized my sealed 12 pack of diet mountain dew in cans far more than they did my wine.

You have two viable plays here as I see it, with a few possible outcomes; not yet mentioned.

Play 1: Put some wine in their bags too.

Play 1A: they get through, no problem, so more wine for you

Play 1B: they get flagged, while they are getting checked you breeze right through. This is probably not an ideal outcome

Play 2: You yourself try to bring a case 12 pack of water along with your wine. You'll be brought over to the side, where it will be explained you can not bring water and it will be confiscated. When questioned by your family why you were taken aside you can be honest with them and say "water is not allowed, it was confiscated". You still have your wine that no one ever made a fuss about.

• 3 months later...
So do you always have to pack your wine in your carry on? Or can you put it in your suitcase? (I hate the thought of adding weight to our already heavy carry on lol) Do they charge a cork fee?

It MUST be in your carry-on, and there's a fee if you take it to the MDR or have it opened by a bartender.

I always "mention" that there is a bottle of wine or champagne in my bag to the person screening when I put it on the belt, and I have never had them make me pull it out of the bag. I figure if I tell them up front, then they aren't gonna be as "questioning" about what it is.

I always "mention" that there is a bottle of wine or champagne in my bag to the person screening when I put it on the belt, and I have never had them make me pull it out of the bag. I figure if I tell them up front, then they aren't gonna be as "questioning" about what it is.

I do the same thing. Except I dont mention its really Vodka with red food coloring, recorked and rewaxed in a wine bottle :D

It sounds like it depends on which Port you are sailing out of determines how hard they look at your wine/sodas.

Galveston they inspect the seals and corks on the wine and tear open and dig through the soda boxes like there is a prize in the bottom for them. Then you have to deal with a ripped open box of sodas to deal with until you can access your room.

Sent from my Honor 8 on Forums mobile app.

Order a bottle or two to your room. BEFORE you cruise. Then nobody will know. You have to do it in advance.

They also have cruise the vinyards program. You get x amount of bottles and quality depending which package is purchased. You have to purchase on board. Can't prepurchase like other beverages package.

This way you don't have to worry about carrying on the wine.

Sent from my Honor 8 on Forums mobile app.