Downside to paying off cruise early - yes or no?

I ought to know this but if I do I have forgotten. Final payment is due at the end of August, however I have the funds available to pay next week, and do not want to be tempted to dip into it for other things. So is there any downside to paying early that I havn't thought of?

Last I knew once it is paid off you can't take advantage of any price drops. My TA always said not to pay off until last minute for this reason but with rules changing constantly I am not sure anymore.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Even if you pay your cruise off early you can still take advantage of price drops up until the final payment "date" set by Royal.

The price difference would be either credited back to your credit.....or you may can get an OBC (but not 100% sure of this).

Last I knew once it is paid off you can't take advantage of any price drops. My TA always said not to pay off until last minute for this reason but with rules changing constantly I am not sure anymore.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Here in the UK we do not get the opportunity to take advantage of price drops ever

I ought to know this but if I do I have forgotten. Final payment is due at the end of August, however I have the funds available to pay next week, and do not want to be tempted to dip into it for other things. So is there any downside to paying early that I havn't thought of?

The only downsides that come to mind from paying off early are the inability to transfer to a travel agent and the loss of use of your money. You can still get price drops if you were booked under US/Canadian rules, though it could be 5-10 business days before the credit shows up.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Not sure what my Ta's motive was then. Good to know! I am no longer using him so all is good.

BonVoyage

Dawna

BonVoyage

Dawna

That has NEVER EVER been the case

It hasn't happened to me personally, but I have read on Cruisecritic that sometimes Royal calls or sends an email and gives OBC if the guest makes final payment early.

We were one of those. It may have just been a game to boost their quarterly numbers

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

It hasn't happened to me personally, but I have read on Cruisecritic that sometimes Royal calls or sends an email and gives OBC if the guest makes final payment early.

Haven't heard about that - if it is true RCI should advertise it and people would pay early to get OBC. Otherwise there is no advantage to paying early . It is better keep your money even if it earns little or nothing.

I always pay about 30 days before final payment so any issues can be sorted out should they arise. Having said that, I paid off my TA for next April already because I wanted to take advantage of the 60,000 mile delta amex bonus. One way flights from Rome to JFK were over $2000/ea last time I looked. Signed up for the card, paid off the cruise, paid off the card, got my miles and paid for my flights with them

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Never give them your $$$ early.

Why? It is not like it is earning anything sitting in the bank! I would just as soon pay it off early rather than worry about forgetting to pay it.

I guess it is just the way we roll. We pay our bills as soon as they come in rather than wait until the due dates.

Why? It is not like it is earning anything sitting in the bank! I would just as soon pay it off early rather than worry about forgetting to pay it.

I guess it is just the way we roll. We pay our bills as soon as they come in rather than wait until the due dates.

Have you never heard of interest bearing accounts?

I am on the side of paying off early. One less thing I have to worry about. I also book excursions, dinners, drink pkgs early. This way I can still take advantage of prices drops should they appear, but by them time I step off the ship at the end I have very little due and just enjoy my time. It comes down to personal preference.

If interest on money were higher I might do it differently, but the way it is now you don't earn enough to have that a major consideration.

I paid off early,a suite in march(my first), then I read a thread were obc was given to some people to pay off early. I guess it was rccl solidifying actual rooms sold. I would guess this was before the no refund deposit, and maybe people who booked while onboard and took their credit then and there.

Oddly enough, my travel agent processed the final payment for my October cruise in May. Not sure why, maybe they had a deal that would require payment to be early? Cruise is 99 days away as of today.

Did your travel agent give you some extra on board credit? I recall that Royal was offering significant on board credit to get some people to pay off their cruises early.