OLife Value?

Profjej

Thank you for responding. The OLife fares may not have gone up on July 1, but I think they are less valuable now. The $800 credit dropped to $600, and the 8 excursions dropped to 6 if I am reading it correctly.

Is this on the same cruise?

The number of included excursions varies from cruise to cruise depending on the length of the cruise.

Sometimes it is only 4 on short cruises (7 days) sometimes it is 8 on longer cruises.

Is this on the same cruise?

The number of included excursions varies from cruise to cruise depending on the length of the cruise.

Sometimes it is only 4 on short cruises (7 days) sometimes it is 8 on longer cruises.

Question: Are included excursions, let's say, eight per cabin or eight per person in the cabin for a 28 day cruise?

Thanks, Bill

O Life benefits are per cabin. For example, the free internet allows one person of that cabin to be logged in at a time.

it is one account per cabin

one device at a time but both parties must use the same log in account for the free internet

My wife and I are considering an Oceania cruise in the next couple of years, and I've been reviewing some of their promotional material.

Do any of the Oceania veterans here have advice to offer on the OLife vs. Cruise Only fares? It looks to me like the OLife package is a pretty good value, but I'd love to hear from folks who have experience with the line.

After paying for Oceania to make our air reservations, we missed the ships departure because of flight delays. Although not our fault, we incurred over $1000 in expenses from flights, hotels and transfers trying to catch up with the ship. We also missed two sailing days. Oceania assumes NO responsibility even though they make air arrangements.

After paying for Oceania to make our air reservations, we missed the ships departure because of flight delays. Although not our fault, we incurred over $1000 in expenses from flights, hotels and transfers trying to catch up with the ship. We also missed two sailing days. Oceania assumes NO responsibility even though they make air arrangements.

I had wondered about this. It's good to know what the policy is. We would probably request to fly into the departure port's city a day early to prevent this from occurring. I suppose Oceania would charge us a fee for customizing the air travel, though.

This is a big part of why Oceania veterans recommend paying for a deviation when using O's air. This lets you arrive early so as to be sure not to miss the ship's departure plus you can see some of the departure city. We don't usually use O's air, although we have a few times, and we always took a deviation. We've never had a problem making the ship on time but we have met people who DID. (Besides flight delays weather is sometimes a factor.)

Mura

I had wondered about this. It's good to know what the policy is. We would probably request to fly into the departure port's city a day early to prevent this from occurring. I suppose Oceania would charge us a fee for customizing the air travel, though.

Yes they will charge $175 PP deviation fee but well worth the price to fly in a few days early & stay on after the cruise if you choose

Plus you can request flights around 270 days out & know what the routing will be

I am not sure of any cruise line that has control over flight delays

Thank you for responding. The OLife fares may not have gone up on July 1, but I think they are less valuable now. The $800 credit dropped to $600, and the 8 excursions dropped to 6 if I am reading it correctly.

Was that drop on a cruise you had been watching? I've noticed different amounts depending on the length of the cruise but was not paying attention to anything specific when prices changed this summer.

We have a cruise in 3 weeks - the per stateroom 8 excursions was definitely a better value than $800 OBC (or whatever that offer was). Though I'm having a problem finding a 5th excursion for myself as we have some private activities mixed in.

We declined the air, so there was a small credit back. For my family, it would have been a break even once we paid the air deviation. Mom (flying from a different state) would have come out ahead fare wise, except that she was able to get her ticket using miles.

So sorry this happened to you. It is the nature of Cruise Air on all the lines that I have researched. The fine prints says they will assist you (doesn't mean they pick up any costs, just like other travel agents). Even purchasing travel insurance you have to look at the fine print on travel delay to make sure you are covered, come policies say your delay must be 12 hours before they will reimburse expenses.

It is a reminder to us all to consider the possible delays.

Was that drop on a cruise you had been watching? I've noticed different amounts depending on the length of the cruise but was not paying attention to anything specific when prices changed this summer.

The Oceania rep on the phone told me that the OLife benefit was going to decrease in value on July 1. However, when I looked at the website just now, the advertised package for the cruise we booked was the same as it was in June. So who knows?

RE: Air delay.

When I had to make alternate arrangements to catch up to a Riviera cruise out of Barcelona, I was reimbursed for my out of pocket flight- Madrid to BCN. I did manage to get to the ship in time to make the cruise.

we did not have any other extra costs. We had outside insurance, O credited our shipboard account and paid us the cash at the end of the cruise

It did take 10 days for our luggage to catch up.

sitraveler, Thanks for sharing. Sometimes if the issue is an airlines fault like mechanical failure then the airline will pick up the cost; the traveler may never know about that part. Of course the cruise can take care of you but usually they rely on your outside insurance. I'm glad the O air worked for you. We will go to the departure port 3 days early to tour. Last time we did that we were delayed so lost about 4 hours of touring time still better than missing the ship.

One of two things must be true. Either something has changed and you can no longer get the OLife amenity with the cruise-only fare, or Oceania is not very good at reviewing the wording on their website.

I agree! I read what is written on their website, and from the way it is written one would infer that there are only two choices; cruise-only or O-life (including airfare). Glad to hear that there is an O-life without airfare option.

Partial air credit can also be taken under O-Life. For example, passengers can use O-Life air going to the ship but make their own arrangements on the return portion thus receiving a partial air credit.

To determine the value of O-Life depends on the customer. The way we look at it is, and we always take O-Life using the OBC option:

1. It pays for our gratuities (which will become moot in a few more cruises as that will be a benefit)

2. It pays for all of our on board purchases and bar bill (which is usually less than $100) plus adds to the vacation feeling of not having to think about spending $ for an extra martini

3. We get the wi-fi at no additional cost

4. The airfare has always been cheaper than what we would have been able to book ourselves

5. We buy presents for others in the shops

Look at the difference in cost between the two fares and factor in your lifestyle. That's tends to make the value decision easy.

Partial air credit can also be taken under O-Life. For example, passengers can use O-Life air going to the ship but make their own arrangements on the return portion thus receiving a partial air credit.

To determine the value of O-Life depends on the customer. The way we look at it is, and we always take O-Life using the OBC option:

1. It pays for our gratuities (which will become moot in a few more cruises as that will be a benefit)

2. It pays for all of our on board purchases and bar bill (which is usually less than $100) plus adds to the vacation feeling of not having to think about spending $ for an extra martini

3. We get the wi-fi at no additional cost

4. The airfare has always been cheaper than what we would have been able to book ourselves

5. We buy presents for others in the shops

Look at the difference in cost between the two fares and factor in your lifestyle. That's tends to make the value decision easy.

O Life with OBC makes perfect sense if

1 You do not get PPG as a benefit or from TA (as you mentioned)

2 Drink very little

3 Most importantly, do your own shore excursions.

4 If you do not already get OBC as a benefit or from TA

Otherwise, taking the included shore excursions is a better value than OBC as they normally cost more than the value given for them ($100 OBC). Excursions can be up to $199 - almost double the value of OBC given

Also, if one drinks, one of the drink packages may be more valuable (depending on the amount consumed).

O Life with OBC makes perfect sense if

1 You do not get PPG as a benefit or from TA (as you mentioned)

2 Drink very little

3 Most importantly, do your own shore excursions.

4 If you do not already get OBC as a benefit or from TA

We get all of the above but still take the O Life OBC

I can always go to the spa or shop onboard :halo:

We try to avoid ship's tours

You have to weigh the options for what works for you

Also, if one drinks, one of the drink packages may be more valuable (depending on the amount consumed).

The included drink package is only at meals. I'm guessing you can upgrade to the normal package for a fee. We don't drink much alcohol on cruises and rarely at meals. We don't go to the spa on cruises and stuff you can buy on board is typically overpriced. I can't imagine wanting to spend $800 on board, even in 18 days.

We got free gratuities thru our TA, so we just took the free excursions offer. Like others, I prefer to book on my own, but it seems like there are some interesting ones available and if I pick wisely I can get decent value (even compared to booking on my own, I presume). And the free Internet makes it worthwhile.

Edited by MisterBill99

We cruised on the Marina in June 2016 in the Baltic. It was a fabulous cruise, our first time on Oceania. Previously we cruised multiple times on Celebrity, once on Holland America and once on princess. Oceania is now my absolute favorite cruise line. However, if you spend some time on the Oceania forums, you will see a repeated theme expressing disappointment in the Oceania provided tours that can be selected as part of the Olife package. The general consensus is that the tours are overpriced and are not a good value. Even the tours that are good are considerably overpriced. We selected enough tours to use our available Olife benefit, and booked independent tours for the other cities. I love Oceania in every other respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We cruised on the Marina in June 2016 in the Baltic. It was a fabulous cruise, our first time on Oceania. Previously we cruised multiple times on Celebrity, once on Holland America and once on princess. Oceania is now my absolute favorite cruise line. However, if you spend some time on the Oceania forums, you will see a repeated theme expressing disappointment in the Oceania provided tours that can be selected as part of the Olife package. The general consensus is that the tours are overpriced and are not a good value. Even the tours that are good are considerably overpriced. We selected enough tours to use our available Olife benefit, and booked independent tours for the other cities. I love Oceania in every other respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess maybe I see it a little differently, but if it's included I really don't worry about the price. Actually if I get 3 excursions I'm going to try to make them the most expensive ones allowed with the Olife, as long as I'm interested in those tours.

On the other hand if I'm purchasing them with OBC or my own money then that's another story.

I guess maybe I see it a little differently, but if it's included I really don't worry about the price. Actually if I get 3 excursions I'm going to try to make them the most expensive ones allowed with the Olife, as long as I'm interested in those tours.

On the other hand if I'm purchasing them with OBC or my own money then that's another story.

Absolutely. And while they may be overpriced, are they any worse than other cruise lines? So long as I feel like I've gotten $100 of value I'll be OK.

Now, if I go to book and the expensive excursions are not available and I have to choose less expensive ones, then I won't be happy.

And of course there is the value of the Internet package.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app