Trans Atlantic question

RNGALNG

Suppose---

Im taking a trans Atlantic westbound. Ship is 'suppose' to dock at 6:00AM in Fort Lauderdale, a ten minute taxi to the airport.

I want to take SW home.

Would it be feasible to catch a 9:00AM direct flight home?

Is SW one of the lines that would do the 'magic suitcase thing' they do on Caribbean cruises? You know, where you put your case outside your room on the last night and they magically appear at your home destination?

What's the usual time from docking to letting passengers off on a trans Atlantic?

Thanks so much for your wisdom.

Yes, SW does participate in EZ Check but your flight must leave at 11:30am or later. That's the time Princess considers reasonable to make a flight out of FLL.

If the ship docks at 6am, you select self-disembarkation whereby you carry/drag everything off the ship without any assistance and have one hand free for the escalator, and you make it to the airport by 7:30am, you will have time to check in, go through Security and get to your gate.

BUT, trans-Atlantic cruises usually have far more scrutiny by Immigration and Customs and very long lines and delays are very common. If there are a lot of ships in port that day, there could be just a few Immigration officials processing passengers which will add to the delays. No way to know ahead of time.

I would never book a flight before 11:30am after a trans-Atlantic. Not worth the stress and anxiety. For those saying, "No problem," make sure you note that you've made a 9am flight after a trans-Atlantic. Definitely not the same as after a routine Caribbean cruise.

Coming off a trans Atlantic , all crew members have to be seen by US immigration before disembarkation. This could take an hour maybe two depending on the number o US officiers are aviable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Figure this way.

The early walk off with your own luggage, no help, maybe you can disembark as early 7am or possibly a little earlier. Immigration and Customs is an unknown factor. Could be quick could take long. Do you have Global Entry, that could speed things along. Very tight to get to the airport by 8am, and if any delays along the process, immigration, airport security, ship docking 30 mins late, understaffed immigration, you'll miss the flight. You can not do the EZ Check. A 9am flight is not within the time limits. I would select another flight.

Suppose---

Im taking a trans Atlantic westbound. Ship is 'suppose' to dock at 6:00AM in Fort Lauderdale, a ten minute taxi to the airport.

I want to take SW home.

Is SW one of the lines that would do the 'magic suitcase thing' they do on Caribbean cruises? You know, where you put your case outside your room on the last night and they magically appear at your home destination?

What's the usual time from docking to letting passengers off on a trans Atlantic?

Going from memory on this.

From what I recall, a 9:00 A. M. flight is to early for E Z Check.

The P S D may not accept your request for E Z Check.

Your luggage has to be off loaded and inspected by Customs.

Then, loaded onto a Truck; then, off loaded at the Airport.

Coming in from a trans- Atlantic, a 9 am flight is not a safe bet. It is most likely going to take a while for the ship to clear customs, longer than normal. Also, if your airline does participate in EZ Check, and your flight leaves after 11:30 from FLL you can take advantage of the program. Hence, I am agreement with the others who have responded. Just book a homebound flight that leaves FLL after 11:30 and all should be fine, unless the something goes wrong with the airline or the weather. Enjoy the cruise...so relaxing to sail home.

From what I recall, a 9:00 A. M. flight is to early for E Z Check.

The P S D may not accept your request for E Z Check.

No way will Princess accept an EZ Check application for a flight two and a half hours earlier than their cut-off/recommended time. Five minutes... maybe. Not even a remote possibility.

I am on a Transatantic on the Royal, arrives on a Sunday, I decided not to sweat, will fly home on Monday... much better than stressing over possible delays...

We're doing the same thing on that cruise & it was better for us to stay overnight to enjoy Ft Lauderdale & with flying on Monday the airfare reduction more than paid for our FL visit.

Our Caribbean P. ta this fall will be our 8th ta. and I'm pretty sure disembarkation ran late every single time. On our last British Isles ta in 2015 we met a number of passengers in FLL who had missed flights at 1pm and later because things were running so late. For other itineraries you might make an early flight, but not when a ship is returning to the US for the beginning of a new season.

Suppose---

I want to take SW home.

I could write a resume to boast about all of our cruise/travel experience...but will not go there. But we would never (and I mean never) consider a 9am flight out of FLL after any cruise,,,,much less a TA cruise that will likely be subject to additional delays due to extra CBP procedures. Perhaps you will get lucky and make that flight...but we would give you a less then 50-50 chance. And if you miss your flight..do you have an alternative....and how much will it cost? As a general rule we would not consider a flight earlier then 10 am...and this would be after a routine Caribbean Cruise. And we have Global Entry...TSA Pre-Check...etc. We generally prefer an early afternoon flight...and rather then deal with the hassles (and stress) of trying to get off early...we prefer to relax on the ship until about 9:30 after which there are no more crowds or stress.

So maybe you do get lucky...rush around early in the morn....wait for the ship to be cleared (while worrying) and perhaps you ship gets cleared at 7. You then must rush off the ship (with hundreds of others) dragging all your own luggage, get through CBP's immigration check, clear Customs, and get a taxi (or Uber) to the nearby airport. And assuming you get to the airport around 7:30....there always seems to be a long line for TSA at the part of the terminal for SW airlines. So, you are ending your cruise with rush rush rush, lines lines lines, and stress stress stress. I guess some like playing this game....but its not for me.

If all goes well you will get to your gate with plenty of time and be laughing at those of us warning not to play this game. But if things go south, you will be pleading with SW to get you on a later flight which is likely booked by other cruise line passengers. And even if they do get you on a later flight, you are going to pay the difference between your discounted SW airfare...and the current fare for that later flight which will generally be substantially more then what you would have paid if booked further in advance.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I have done several westbound TAs, and EZCheck has not been available on any of them. Each time, when it was approaching the end of the cruise I went to the PSD to ask if it would be offered, and each time the answer was no.

I'm in agreement with those who say it's safer to wait till around noon for a flight. Disembarking after a TA can be VERY slow .... one time we stood in line in the terminal, dragging our luggage, for over 2 hours, waiting to get thru immigration. There were only 2 agents working and it was super slow. We had booked Princess transfers to FLL, and ditched that idea and took a taxi just to get to the airport faster. We both had noon-ish flights, and TSA lines in FLL were very long. Both of us barely made it to our gates in time. It was a nightmare overall.

As others have suggested, book the later flight, but I would share my experience from the Oct 2016 Royal Princess Westbound. We were in the second walk off group and we have Global Entry.

We had booked a noon flight home on arrival day in Fort Lauderdale. When the ship arrived at the port, we accessed the Delta Webpage and determine there was availability for a 9:00 flight that morning. We walked off as soon as possible, cleared entry requirements, and caught a cab to the airport. We arrive just before 8:00. Given the early hour, the terminal was not crowded. We made the 9:00 flight as a standby, getting home 3 hours sooner. We were happy it worked this time, but would not book the early flight. The noon flights are generally full and if you miss the 9:00 flight, you could be at the airport a while waiting for the next flight.

OP, aren't you on the Caribbean Princess ta with us? We've already been notified that the ship has propulsion issues and can't sail at top speed which is another reason not to try for a 9a.m. flight.

OP, aren't you on the Caribbean Princess ta with us? We've already been notified that the ship has propulsion issues and can't sail at top speed which is another reason not to try for a 9a.m. flight.

Yes, we have our flight (at a reasonable time) but trying to convince another traveler to do the same! 😏

Another consideration that speaks to taking a later flight is that the Harmony of the Seas is in port that morning as well and a number of passengers on that ship might take from the pool of Customs Agents available for processing.