refundable vs. nonrefundable clarification?

Yes but it will cost you $100 pp to do so

Royal's NRD program is similar to Carnival's Early Saver in some respects, but Royal left out the nice feature Carnival has of giving price drops after final payment.

I have a question regarding the nonrefundable rate.

If you purchase travel insurance and have to cancel for a valid reason, is it still nonrefundable?:confused:

Let's try to figure this out:

21. If my clients choose to purchase insurance under Royal Caribbean’s Travel Protection Program, will this shieldthem from incurring responsibility for any applicable change fees that may occur?The guest's non refundable deposit would be covered by the Travel Protection Program, assuming the Travel Protectioncomponent is paid in full; however, the change fees incurred due to a ship or sail date change are not covered by the TravelProtection reimbursement would be less the change fees.

Seriously, I can't figure out what this means. Who wrote this.

So what if you just totally cancel (for a covered reason) and don't rebook?

Let's try to figure this out:

21. If my clients choose to purchase insurance under Royal Caribbean’s Travel Protection Program, will this shieldthem from incurring responsibility for any applicable change fees that may occur?The guest's non refundable deposit would be covered by the Travel Protection Program, assuming the Travel Protectioncomponent is paid in full; however, the change fees incurred due to a ship or sail date change are not covered by the TravelProtection reimbursement would be less the change fees.

Seriously, I can't figure out what this means. Who wrote this.

So what if you just totally cancel (for a covered reason) and don't rebook?

If it's after final payment, then you would get a full refund.

However, if it's before final payment, and you have not actually paid for the insurance, then you would lose the deposit.

If it's after final payment, then you would get a full refund.

However, if it's before final payment, and you have not actually paid for the insurance, then you would lose the deposit.

But what if you pay for the insurance at the time of making your deposit?

I book with Costco travel and no fee until you pay! They have shore excursions there also!

I was just on the costco site and they are showing the refundable price only. The same cabin... deck 12 D1 cabin 12222 Symphony of the seas Oct. 2018 transatlantic through RCL with the non refundable option is almost 900.00 cheaper for two.

But what if you pay for the insurance at the time of making your deposit?

You should get a full refund then, as long as the cancellation is for a covered reason.

You probably know this, but for others who may be reading this, when Royal's insurance is added to a booking, it is not in force until it is paid. If one does not specifically ask Royal to pay for the insurance, then it's not paid until final payment date, so is not in force until then.

I am actually liking the NRF idea. I saved quite a bit on 3 of my short cruises plus got $50 OBC by changing it to NRF. Before Royal did $0 for OBC obc short cruises, so this works for me. In the last probably 10 years, we have only canceled 1 short cruise, so this is a win for us

And what everyone needs to understand. You can book a refundable cruise and then when you are sure of your dates (at least 6 months out, you can change it to a NRF. That is what I did on all 3 of these and will do on the President's cruise. I plan to book at a refundable rate to get the cabin I want, then book it on a NRF on the ship to get the OBC for booking onboard. Then when I get home I will cancel the refundable, move the deposit to the NRF

You can book a refundable cruise and then when you are sure of your dates (at least 6 months out, you can change it to a NRF. That is what I did on all 3 of these and will do on the President's cruise. I plan to book at a refundable rate to get the cabin I want, then book it on a NRF on the ship to get the OBC for booking onboard. Then when I get home I will cancel the refundable, move the deposit to the NRF

True, but between the time of the refundable booking and the switch to the NRD, the NRD rate could go up higher than the original refundable rate.

Yesterday we booked two cruises while on board the Grandeur - was never told about the choices of refundable / non-refundable pricing. The Next Cruise consultant just automatically booked us refundable. We later checked the pricing on the web and the difference was $1300 total for the 5 & 9 night B2B. So I went down to the Next Cruise desk and they explained (not fully) that they would re-book us at the lower rate.

This morning I got the re-booking sheets at the lower rate but they up charged the deposit from the original $100 per cruise to $500 per cruise. I went back down and asked why they didn't explain the higher down payment - a blank face stared at me. I said to him that one of the benefits of booking on board was the lower deposit.............more blank stares.

I asked to talk to the "manager of Next Cruise" and got a printed sheet of "General Frequent Asked Questions" - the first paragraph states:

Question: "Why has Royal Caribbean decided to introduce fares that require a non-refundable deposit?"

Answer: "Non-refundable deposit fares now give Royal Caribbean International an opportunity to simplify our promotional landscape, while providing our guests with added confidence to book early and our travel partners the reassurance in more qualified, dependable business". (Just like how the cabin categories were simplified........ha-ha).

So now you know why!!!!

One other question was interesting...........but when asked to qualify the "combinable"..........I got that blank stare and I have to get with Miami!!!!!!

Question: "What other promotions can the non-combinable fare be booked with?"

Answer: "The non-refundable fare is combinable with other promotional offers, Interline, Shareholder Benefits, Crown & Anchor discounts, and Next Cruise Offers".

Hope that this helps???????

Yesterday we booked two cruises while on board the Grandeur - was never told about the choices of refundable / non-refundable pricing. The Next Cruise consultant just automatically booked us refundable. We later checked the pricing on the web and the difference was $1300 total for the 5 & 9 night B2B. So I went down to the Next Cruise desk and they explained (not fully) that they would re-book us at the lower rate.

This morning I got the re-booking sheets at the lower rate but they up charged the deposit from the original $100 per cruise to $500 per cruise. I went back down and asked why they didn't explain the higher down payment - a blank face stared at me. I said to him that one of the benefits of booking on board was the lower deposit.............more blank stares.

I asked to talk to the "manager of Next Cruise" and got a printed sheet of "General Frequent Asked Questions" - the first paragraph states:

Question: "Why has Royal Caribbean decided to introduce fares that require a non-refundable deposit?"

Answer: "Non-refundable deposit fares now give Royal Caribbean International an opportunity to simplify our promotional landscape, while providing our guests with added confidence to book early and our travel partners the reassurance in more qualified, dependable business". (Just like how the cabin categories were simplified........ha-ha).

So now you know why!!!!

One other question was interesting...........but when asked to qualify the "combinable"..........I got that blank stare and I have to get with Miami!!!!!!

Question: "What other promotions can the non-combinable fare be booked with?"

Answer: "The non-refundable fare is combinable with other promotional offers, Interline, Shareholder Benefits, Crown & Anchor discounts, and Next Cruise Offers".

Hope that this helps???????

Here is the question from the FAQ section regarding NextCruise- now I'm not sure what it really means, sounds like no more reduced deposits on board if you pick the non refundable fare??

12. How are NextCruise bookings impacted by the introduction of nonrefundable deposits?The same nonrefundable deposit guidelines apply to all reservations, regardless of booking channel.

Can someone make sense of this? Shouldn't the non-refundable be lower to entice you to take it?

Bill, are you seriously asking us to make sense out of a Royal Caribbean web page???:eek:

Obviously, the pricing seems to be some sort of glitch.

Another point of confusion: What's the difference between "You pick your room" and "You choose the room"? In other words, could the prices be different because "You choose the room" is supposed to say "We choose the room"?

I have to hand it to Royal, they are now stacking multiple confusions on one web page. Very efficient on their part.

Another point of confusion: What's the difference between "You pick your room" and "You choose the room"? In other words, could the prices be different because "You choose the room" is supposed to say "We choose the room"?

Right, they renamed the GTY rate.

Ok. Now I am wondering if I book a refundable cruise while on board, do I NOT get any OBC or lower deposit price? If not, what is the point of booking on board?

It sounds like (so far) that if you book a refundable rate you still get the reduced deposit and I assume the OBC but if you book the non refundable you pay the full deposit

I've seen 3 options on one cruise. We Pick, You Pick, and You Choose. Go figure.

Must be two different departments programming "You Pick" and You Choose".:rolleyes:

It sounds like (so far) that if you book a refundable rate you still get the reduced deposit and I assume the OBC but if you book the non refundable you pay the full deposit[/quote]

That's what I have been lead to believe and have on my reservation. The OBC is the same either way.