Lunch included on excursions?

plumduff68

We are booked on the Crown Princess TA from Southampton in September.

We have reserved a Princess excursion in Nova Scotia and are just looking through the itinerary.

It says "you can enjoy a tasty lunch" etc - we are wondering if the lunch is included in the tour price? Doesnt mention it anywhere in the itinerary details.

Otherwise it'll be breakfast rolls and cheese in the hand luggage ;);):o:o

Thanks

They'll be very clear in the tour description if lunch is included in the price. You'll also see a symbol, typically a dinner plate with utensils on each side if it's a full meal or if it's a snack there's a different symbol which I can't specifically recall.

In the Personalizer they have symbols along with the description of the excursion, I think the symbol of an included meal is a plate and fork. If it doesn't say it includes a meal then there is free time around lunch time for you to purchase food, etc.

I don't know about this particular port, but some ports specifically prohibit you from taking food off the ship other than prepackaged items.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Stop by the excursions desk when you get on board and confirm one way or another. Also ask whether it is permitted to take unpackaged food ashore in Nova Scotia - in many parts of the world it is strictly prohibited and enforced. We always travel with a box of protein bars or individual-serving packaged nuts to take along on longer excursions.

We have reserved a Princess excursion in Nova Scotia and are just looking through the itinerary.

It says "you can enjoy a tasty lunch" etc - we are wondering if the lunch is included in the tour price? Doesnt mention it anywhere in the itinerary details.

Thanks

If lunch is not included which it may be, at least you'll be able to buy lunch because you are NOT allowed to take any food off the ship unless it's packaged and sealed by the manufacturer.

Whatever, enjoy your excursion! :)

Thanks

It will list in the tour description on the personalizer if it's included or not.

With a symbol and a description.

And I agree no food to be taken off the ship. :(

Lunch is not included. If it were, the name of the excursion would be something like this:

Peggy's Cove, Historic Fortress, Titanic & Lunch

Peggy's Cove, Scenic Drive & Lobster Lunch

Peggy's Cove, Halifax Highlights & Lunch

You are only allowed to take pre-packaged food off the ship.

My goodness. DW and I take our food seriously...which is one reason (among many) why we avoid excursions that include lunch (the truth is we try to avoid all cruise ship excursions). We love Canada/NE cruises because we find the ports delightful....which includes the food. Along the Atlantic coast we generally look for some nice cafes/restaurants that offer decent lobster rolls or fresh lobster! If you have lunch on an excursion it will likely be at a large restaurant (that has a room for large groups) and you will get "group food" which means you get what you get. And groups do not generally get the best. At some of these ports we will eat in the port town...and at others we often rent a car to explore....and find a nice place to have lunch that will not have any large tour groups :).

Hank

We did a snowshoe hike once where the lunch was build your own sandwiches from loaves of bread, cold cuts, and sliced cheese. Grab a bag of chips and a bag of cookies. Casual, huh?

I have noticed that some of the descriptions are very vague on the excursions. On my upcoming cruise, I was looking at one for 25.00. Fine, as I read and reread the description all I could determine that was included was the transportation to and from the venue. Independently the cost was $2.50. So upon arrival at the venue, I would have to purchase any amenities separately which could be an additional $30-$40, I emailed the venue and I got a nasty reply to -- contact my cruise line and ask them...WHAT! Especially now that the excursions must be prepaid when you make your reservation, you would find out too late about any additional expenses, and I don't take any extra money with me when I go on tours. AND waiting until you board to ask questions to the tour desk, you may miss out on a tour you had planned to take.

Do NOT take food off the ship unless it is in an original sealed container, the price could be very high. Many ports have "food dogs" on hand and high penalties. Especially smelly goods like meat products, apples or bananas, maybe not smelly to you but smelly to dogs!!

You can often tell by the price of the shorex whether you are getting a meal, a packed lunch or just nibbles.

However the advice to read the description and too look at the symbols should clear up any questions.

I have found the symbols of inclusions to be pretty self explanatory and pretty accurate on what we booked. :)

I agree except for one ship tour we took in Panama that stated we would get a "light lunch". We got the smallest bag of potato chips I have ever seen and a small bottled water. I wish I would have gone to the tour desk afterwards to express my disappointment.

I believe Canada is one of the ports with the "puppy sniff" - I think I also recall it in Grand Cayman. This is going to become more and more common both for agricultural enforcement and law enforcement. MCO had a dog to speed up the screening process in March. He was stationed in a roped off area in the middle of the cue so all passengers had to walk buy him. He hit on a guys carry on - the handler threw a sponge ball to hit the targeted bag and the guy was immediately pulled from the line and off to a private room. Now whether he was actually trying to fly with drugs or perhaps used recently, only the search would tell. But these dogs are not wrong! Pup got a few minutes of play and then was back to work. The line did move much faster than I would have expected.

To the OP, I would suggest if you are taking this excursion, that you budget in funds for lunch. First, then you won't have to worry and second you can taste some of the delicious seafood! We have really enjoyed eating local food when we travel and some of my kids' best food memories are from ports of call like the empanadas from Roatan at a local gas station and the marinated chicken from Belize.

I agree except for one ship tour we took in Panama that stated we would get a "light lunch". We got the smallest bag of potato chips I have ever seen and a small bottled water. I wish I would have gone to the tour desk afterwards to express my disappointment.

Been there done that. On our Panama train excursion they did that with a nasty box lunch. :(

I have found if there is a full lunch at a restaurant they will usually list that in the details of the itinerary/tour etc.