Booted Off The EDGE

Hawkstar33

That's a shame ... so sorry to hear this. It is so disappointing when you take all that time to plan, albeit way ahead of time, and your dreams are dashed. It is probably still raw but if you are still interested, maybe keep the one half of the B2B and transfer to another ship for the other half ... to make it worthwhile your trip to FL. ?? It might be an option where you will still be able to sail on a new ship in the room you wanted ... just for half the amount of time but then the other half on another ship that you might enjoy.

A couple of years ago, we were booked on the Infinity for a 14 night Alaska cruise (SF RT) with a B2B through the Panama Canal (SF to Ft Lauderdale). About 9-10 months prior to our Alaska cruise, it was canceled for a 5 night charter ... and what to do with those other nine nights was anybody's guess. Well, soon enough, they announced it would be a 9 night Pacific Coastal (SF RT) .... we could do that ... so we did and had an awesome time. Thankfully, we live right near the port in SF so no airfare involved. Few, if any of the roll call, had booked air.

But, Celebrity did offer us some other cruises for the same pricing, same perks, plus some additional OBC. It ended up being a deal we couldn't refuse. But, we are able to be very flexible being retired and living near a port ... others were not so lucky, though and I think Celebrity lost a few loyal customers over that move ... or so I gathered from the comments on the roll call.

Did Celebrity give you any other offers? I wonder if they would allow you to apply any OBC that was offered to the one half of your B2B. I would suggest calling the Captain's Club if so. Maybe they can work a little magic if you are willing to stick with them.

Whatever ends up happening, I hope you find something to your satisfaction. And again, sorry to hear this happened to you. Hopefully, something will work out.

Your experience of another cruise at the same price is what I would expect.

From the responses clearly there are a lot more than 2 that share this opinion, but as Celebrity isn't running a democracy votes don't really count now do they ? They are running a business not a social club.

To your second point, no where in the Captains Club Rewards Program is there anything about the Company not having the option to cancel a cruise 18 months out. The Loyalty perks are clearly detailed and cancelling for a charter has nothing, to do with Loyalty, it's all about the money.

Get over the indignation, the self righteous outrage, and instead make the effort to understand Business is Business, Celebrity has every right to cancel a cruise 18 months out, we as the customer have that same option at 90 days. Weather you take advantage of that option isn't really germane, it is an option.

In the U.K. We don't have that option

From the responses clearly there are a lot more than 2 that share this opinion, but as Celebrity isn't running a democracy votes don't really count now do they ? They are running a business not a social club.

Get over the indignation, the self righteous outrage, and instead make the effort to understand Business is Business, Celebrity has every right to cancel a cruise 18 months out, we as the customer have that same option at 90 days. Weather you take advantage of that option isn't really germane, it is an option.

Just to point out, not all countries have that option. For me personally, another reason for booking via the US.

Some of you holier than thou posters need to realise theres a whole world out here not just USA.

We can not cancel without loss of deposits and we get stung for a whole lot more that Americans.

Yes of course we still choose to sail with Celebrity, but my last cruise was Cunard and next one is MSC.

They shouldn't take our loyalty for granted!

We are Elite, and our friends are getting close with 8 cruises, loyal to Celebrity. The Key word here is LOYAL, but seems to go only one way.

Just my respectful advice, from someone who used to be very loyal to another cruise brand:

I'm sorry that you feel that your "loyalty" was violated, and I do agree that having a cruise canceled sucks. But I hope that the experience opens your eyes and makes you realize that there's NO such thing as "loyalty" from a company to you. It was never there, and it never will.

The quicker you realize that you're just a number, that loyalty programs are there to throw you enough bones to entice you to come back and spend even more money, and that being loyal to a company is a one way relationship, the quicker you will get over the way you feel about being betrayed.

As mentioned above, I used to be very loyal to another cruise brand. Cruised exclusively on them for years and years. It was "home" and they made me feel "so welcome" and I loved my past guest perks, and I felt so "valued". Until one day I decided to look somewhere else to see what I'd been missing, and I quickly realized that I had been missing a lot by being loyal to one brand. Now I've made the choice to NOT be loyal to any cruise line and to try as many cruise lines as possible. I've made it a point to not repeat the same cruise line two times in a row and this decision has been one of the BEST cruise related decisions I've ever made.

With your current experience, I encourage you to do the same and see what else is out there. You may realize that you love Celebrity even if you are just another number, or you may realize that you should take your business somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

TY all for your responses. Well most of you at least. I originally posted out of frustration and disappointment. I hoped to make others aware of the charter email that I had received. Thinking that maybe it would help those who were not aware of what was transpiring. That's the good thing about this site, INFO. On the other hand, you have a few who look only to rip you and your post up, and take shots at you from afar. WPG...I'm not self righteous or indignant. So to put it as nice as I can, You can stuff it!!!! Business is business, I got that. But there is another kind of business. DIRTY BUSINESS. TAPI... I respectfully thank you and will be considering some change. It is truly a shame that this goes on.

TY all for your responses. Well most of you at least. I originally posted out of frustration and disappointment. I hoped to make others aware of the charter email that I had received. Thinking that maybe it would help those who were not aware of what was transpiring. That's the good thing about this site, INFO. On the other hand, you have a few who look only to rip you and your post up, and take shots at you from afar. WPG...I'm not self righteous or indignant. So to put it as nice as I can, You can stuff it!!!! Business is business, I got that. But there is another kind of business. DIRTY BUSINESS. TAPI... I respectfully thank you and will be considering some change. It is truly a shame that this goes on.

Hard for me to disagree. Just for clarification you were not given any options for a different Edge cruise at the same price or less?

And flights ! Difficult so far out but my agents has taken for flights and pre cruise hotel. We were also meeting son and his family in Orlando post cruise for 2 weeks in our timeshare

Flights for March 2019 aren't available yet. If your agent has taken payment for something that simply doesn't exist, you should fire your agent.

There will always be posters or people who tolerate bad behaviour on the part of a company or just because it is their nature.

We have not booked the Edge as yet because we felt there was just too much hype associated with a new ship launch.

However I truly sympathize for those who book any trip based on the expectations that if a company offers it, it must be available.

We have been disappointed by Celebrity's business practices in the past and only the on board staff makes sticking with X worthwhile.

It is not about the cruise being so far off that a bumped passenger should not feel betrayed by any company but in this case there are no alternatives. The desired cabin at an acceptable price is not available on another sail date. After a short Caribbean schedule, Edge will head off to Europe or Asia and those who have been bumped can wait for Beyond.

When one is not affected by these practices, one should not shoot the messenger. It's Celebrity that should be smacked for this behaviour. They know which organizations will charter an entire ship. Give them the first shot at cabin space but once you put it out to the public, honor your part of the agreement.

PS. You just got bit by the snake, you got kicked out of Eden! Not necessarily sinful but wicked just the same.

Edited by Arno.
The Snake

Arno...so true!

There was a time yrs back when Celeb seemed to care about its loyal clientele. They had fewer ships to fill and many cruisers like you who cruised many days per year who kept the ships full. It was a much smaller operation compared to present day.

Then came more ships, the infuence of Royal C corporate, and a whole new approach. Not even an appearance of caring unless one books in at a very expensive price point... and even then ?????

The staff, crew and most folks we meet on board still make it pleasant enough so we cruise on but are more wary of managenent decisions.. Hope OP finds something that does not disappoint !

The desired cabin at an acceptable price is not available on another sail date. After a short Caribbean schedule, Edge will head off to Europe or Asia and those who have been bumped can wait for Beyond.

This is pure speculation on your part. There have no announcements as to what is being offered after April 2019.

Also, the OP indicated he had already made flights, which is impossible as no airline schedules are available yet for 2019. It also isn't clear precisely what accommodation Celebrity offered. So....little sympathy without the whole story.

This is pure speculation on your part. There have no announcements as to what is being offered after April 2019.

Also, the OP indicated he had already made flights, which is impossible as no airline schedules are available yet for 2019. It also isn't clear precisely what accommodation Celebrity offered. So....little sympathy without the whole story.

Good points made here. A phone call to Celebrity rather than complaining on a forum is a better idea.

Hey Cruisestitch. Glad you decided to take a poke at me. To be honest, YES, that's what I expected. Because that's the deal we agreed on, on paper, when I put my deposit down that far in advance. And please don't give me the bottom line bull. That ship will sell out each trip for the first few yrs if not more. Just because it's new. If whomever it was that stole our trip wanted a charter on a new ship, they should've been on the phone as soon as they were able to book. Way before the rest of us, that did, LOYALLY book. And if I was a stockholder, I would be a bit concerned about complaints involving a company where my money is going. No matter what the complaint may be. But alas, that is not me. I'm just the hardworking blue collar guy that saves each year to loyally spend my money on a product that in return doesn't offer that same loyalty to me. Santa Fe..$500 dep for each end of BTB on Edge, 2 yrs in advance, is not small change to some of us. I did that in order to number 1, get on the brand new ship while it was new, and number 2, to get the rooms we wanted. Funny how people respond when they are not the ones affected. Many nice folks will be inconvenienced by this maneuver. Shame

You are no longer in the demographic that the Modern Luxury cruise line wants to attract. Face it. :D

If you're not pleased with the way you were treated by them, vote with your feet. I did that. It won't matter to Celebrity one way or the other since they probably couldn't care less about losing you or me. It's all about their bottom line. Plain and simple. But maybe you'll feel better at another line...that is until they do it to you too.

Perhaps you'd like to cite the post number. I've read the thread from the outset and recall no such indication. If you want to be critical, at least stick to the facts.

We have paid £800 deposit for a package including flights and precruise hotel.

I have spoken to Celebrity in UK who say my call was the first they have heard about the matter

We were on B2B 10 and 17 March

X will call me after lunch on Monday when American Celebrity are available.

My last cruise was Cunard and next is MSC. They shouldn't take our loyalty for granted

Perhaps you'd like to cite the post number. I've read the thread from the outset and recall no such indication. If you want to be critical, at least stick to the facts.

Sorry. My apologies, it was a different poster who said they had already made flights.

However, for those that object to being critical of the OPs post, he invited such criticism when he posted such a visceral condemnation of Celebrity and offered very little in terms of the exact circumstances and accommodation offered.

And as to those that don't live in the US, the terms of your deposits are governed by your own country. Why would you expect Celebrity to treat their client base differently based on the country they come from? They are an American based company.

If I do business with another country, and I do, I understand and accept the terms which are governed by their country.

Visceral condemnation. Big words. You should learn to read and retain before spouting off. Here's your exact circumstances. Last time. Booked cruise way in advance with another couple. Out of blue you get an email. Sorry but your ship has been chartered, so You have to call up your agent and see what can be done. No guaratees. Did that. Waited 20 mins on hold but was very fortunate to be able to switch plans, and on one end of btb was given $350 obc. Did not say I had flights. But did try to alert others. We booked, had a deposit down, and an agreement to cruise on a day that was put online as available to all. You know something? You are right. Why should I expect that to really happen? Contracts these days aren't any good. HONOR is out the door. Smart businesses, with genius know it all workers like you, small print the crap out of us. Perks in big letters, shaft them with the small print. Dirty pool. Keep your sympathy too. Remember ..If it smells like FISH, IT IS...I'm done

Just want to mention that a positive outcome is reported on the EDGE thread,,.b2b for a 50th anniv celebration that was able to be re scheduled...

Glad it worked out for them

This hasn't happened to me, but what has happened on many of my cruises is that the prices have changed: when the price goes up, I am protected; when the price goes down, I get the money back; and if I change my mind, I get my deposit back. So I recognize that a cruise booking is a two-way street: I have lots of opportunity to cancel or rebook, and the cruise line has the right to cancel the cruise. If they did cancel me out, it would stink, and I would be mad -- but I hope I would remember this post and calm myself down.

So, what the OP was expecting was this scenario?

"Hey, we have an opportunity to see the entire ship nearly two years from now"

"No, we'd better not, we have sold some rooms to some Captain's Club Elite members and they would get mad"

"Yes, I guess you're right. Selling hundreds of rooms all at once would be nice, but we don't want to tick off our loyal cruisers"

"Right, the company's bottom line shouldn't be the deciding factor here."

"Ok, I'll tell the group that wants to charter the ship that it isn't available because we have sold some rooms to some of our loyal cruisers. Too bad, because we would have made millions of dollars if we had chartered it. I'm sure the stockholders won't mind either"

Gee, thanks for your understanding.

To the OP: this is NOT the place to come to vent your frustrations or find sympathy.

No. My point was that if he ever cancelled a cruise before final payment, his loyalty to the cruise line is no better than what he is accusing Celebrity of. If he can cancel for his own convenience, then why shouldn't Celebrity be able to as well.

Loyalty works both ways.

Let's see how many flamers respond to that comment! :cool:

ever mind. Don't want to be banned

Sorry. My apologies, it was a different poster who said they had already made flights.

However, for those that object to being critical of the OPs post, he invited such criticism when he posted such a visceral condemnation of Celebrity and offered very little in terms of the exact circumstances and accommodation offered.

And as to those that don't live in the US, the terms of your deposits are governed by your own country. Why would you expect Celebrity to treat their client base differently based on the country they come from? They are an American based company.

If I do business with another country, and I do, I understand and accept the terms which are governed by their country.

Nice deflection! Proven wrong, just run out a "yes, but..."

Utterly amazing. Rarely does anyone just post a yes or no question. If they do, rarely do they get a yes or no answer.

Generally people write posts that already indicate a point of view. If you respond in agreement, then all is okey dokey. If you take an alternate point of view, then everything hits the fan.

I've made posts of all kinds and expressed multiple points of view and opinions. Sometimes an alternate perspective resonates with me and I may reconsider. Yet, I'm not really invested in whether anyone agrees with me or not. Why is it that so many posters are dedicated to slamming everyone that disagrees with them, as though they must prevail...prevail at what ? If someone doesn't like my pov, well then you can feel free to express an alternative.

Last time I checked, that is precisely what social media and forums are all about. I absolutely stand behind my comments on whether it is fair and appropriate for Celebrity to cancel a sailing because someone has chartered the ship 18 months in advance. It is not a loyalty issue. You want to talk contract? Then I suggest you read the passenger contract. Celebrity was well within their contractual rights.

Fish lover, you are absolutely right!

I heard it once said the "freedom of speech" does not mean you can say whatever you want.....it is granting the right to someone else to say something that you might disagree with!

We all have our own opinions, neither good nor bad, right nor wrong.....but your own personal feelings/beliefs. We should grant others the right to say something and be willing to discuss...civilly.