Attire for boys?

I have a 12 year old son and we will be traveling on Oasis soon. Can he get away with dress shorts and a collared shirt in the main dining room on the Smart Casual nights or does he need pants? What would be the appropriate dress for a 12 year old boy on the formal nights?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a 12 year old son and we will be traveling on Oasis soon. Can he get away with dress shorts and a collared shirt in the main dining room on the Smart Casual nights or does he need pants? What would be the appropriate dress for a 12 year old boy on the formal nights?

Although the shorts and a nice shirt are fine for casual nights, I'm of the school that your cruise could be a teaching lesson. How to act in the MDR, being polite in public, etc. One day your young man will be put in a situation where he "should" wear a jacket and tie, ie a wedding, a funeral or even a job interview. Teaching your son to dress for the occasion can only be a positive thing. He will become that nice young man, and not just that kid in a polo shirt for formal night.

Have a wonderful cruise.:D

What you describe is perfectly acceptable on non-formal nights. Don't worry...ships are much more casual today even in the main dining room.

^ I agree with Ocean Dancer, nicely stated. :) I usually stay out of the dress code threads but I wanted to recognize your reply.

As mentioned, your son can wear dress shorts and a shirt and he will probably not be asked to change. The dress code has become more relaxed in recent years and while the website does say one thing, what is observed on board is another.

My son is 11 and he wears pants and a short-sleeved polo on casual nights. On formal nights, he wears a dress shirt with pants. He still doesn't wear a tie or jacket.

I've never really noticed any boys his age wearing shorts, but I don't really pay attention to what others are wearing. I did, however see a whole family of boys wearing tuxes once. They looked nice, but I'm not buying/renting a tux for that one occasion. We only cruise once a year and have no other reasons to dress that nice.

Although the shorts and a nice shirt are fine for casual nights, I'm of the school that your cruise could be a teaching lesson. How to act in the MDR, being polite in public, etc. One day your young man will be put in a situation where he "should" wear a jacket and tie, ie a wedding, a funeral or even a job interview. Teaching your son to dress for the occasion can only be a positive thing. He will become that nice young man, and not just that kid in a polo shirt for formal night.

Have a wonderful cruise.:D

Yes teach him to dress respectfully for the occasion.

"That kid in a polo shirt for formal night" becomes "that guy wearing jeans at the wedding reception".

Yes fine on casual night.

I have 2 boys, now 19 and 13, who have been on multiple cruises. I used to pack them a couple pairs of khakis for non-formal nights, but due to weight restrictions on luggage and the general relaxation of dress in the MDR, on our last cruise (last June) I let them wear nice shorts and a polo shirt to the dining room on non-formal nights. I do pack dress pants and shirt and tie for them on formal nights (not necessarily a suit because let's face it, suits are expensive for kids that are only going to wear them once before growing out of them). I will do the same for our cruise this November, though the 19 year old will wear a suit on formal night as he now owns one for interview/work purposes. :) DD13 usually wears capris and a nice shirt on non-formal nights and a nice dress on formal nights. Note that this is for warmer destinations. We also like to cruise Canada/New England where I still pack khakis for the boys for non-formal nights, but we aren't usually wearing shorts much on those cruises anyway.

jlstwinmommy

Your 12yo will love oasis and you will be happy that he is happy, no matter the dress level

In fact getting him away from the sports deck to shower and dress could give away to I can go to the windjammer or get a pizza just like I am.

Edited by setsail

On our last cruise in May we brought along the full complement of dressy clothes for all five of us including DD9, DS11 and DS12. While we really enjoyed having a night where everyone was dressed up we also noticed it added an entire suitcase of additional clothes for just one night's dinner (jackets, ties, shoes, etc.) So, for our Oasis cruise in December we're going to do "smart casual" for the kids on formal night and haven't decided what we'll do for ourselves.

My DS 13 packed one pair of nice black dress pants he wore them with a patterned long sleeved dress shirt (no tie) on formal nights. On a few nights he wore them with a polo on a few other nights he wore dress shorts and polo, or a casual button down short shirt. No one looked twice or questioned his attire.

Since he had outgrown his dress shoes and I refused to go thru the hell of finding him a pair for a cruise he worse his black tennis shoes with his dress pants. Most boys wore black tennis shoes with dress clothing.

Here is the thing the people on this board will care more about what your son wears than anyone on the ship. Luggage constraints have necessitated the relaxation of dress codes.

^ I agree with Ocean Dancer, nicely stated. :) I usually stay out of the dress code threads but I wanted to recognize you.

Thank you Karen

Yes teach him to dress respectfully for the occasion.

"That kid in a polo shirt for formal night" becomes "that guy wearing jeans at the wedding reception".

Sooooooo true!!

I wouldn't stress at all over any long-term impacts to children not wearing coat and tie for a night or two on a Caribbean cruise that has a dress code suggestion. If it were a dress code requirement, that would be a whole different discussion. Enjoy your cruise!