Muse Dining Reviews

maureenh

Great points.

Re fresh fish. FWIW as a fish lover I feel strongly that the use of frozen fish is preferable on both land and certainly sea based restaurants simply because frozen fish is frozen when it is extremely fresh and freezing prserves that perfect freshness and it defrosts and IMHO thaws perfectly . I think we are deluding ourselves when we think that fresh fish is better than frozen or that most would be able to tell the difference.

Absolutely agree. I didn't learn this until a few years ago when researching sushi. Didn't realize that in the US, almost all fish is frozen before being sold. So if you want the freshest fish, buy frozen or catch it yourself.

http://www.pbs.org/food/fresh-tastes/myth-sushi-grade/

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/08/nyregion/sushi-fresh-from-the-deep-the-deep-freeze.html

"Most would be even more surprised to learn that if the sushi has not been frozen, it is illegal to serve it in the United States.

Food and Drug Administration regulations stipulate that fish to be eaten raw -- whether as sushi, sashimi, seviche, or tartare -- must be frozen first, to kill parasites. ''I would desperately hope that all the sushi we eat is frozen,'' said George Hoskin, a director of the agency's Office of Seafood. Tuna, a deep-sea fish with exceptionally clean flesh, is the only exception to the rule."

The thing is that the dinner venue shouldn't be the highest point of your cruise. Dinner *is* a high point, but because SS is a master at bringing people together before dinner - an excursion, team trivia, solo travelers daily cocktail party, etc, so that dinner is where you continue the party. The food is good. Way better than the cafeteria food they serve on Carnival, as Jeff pointed out that some people will call "great food."

Once you've been on an SS cruise you will probably realize that Silversea food is plenty good; if I wanted a gastronomic vacation, I'd stay in San Diego and dine in a *fine* restaurant every night. That's not what cruising is about.

I don't think it's up to any one of us to dictate what cruising is about for others. For some it's the itinerary, for some it's the ship itself, for some it's the activities and for many it is the food. I happen to cruise for the chance to see new places and meet new people, especially from different cultures, if possible. But what I know definitely cruising is NOT about for me is stressing months in advance to decide when and where I'm going to dine on any given night and then find out that even after all that stress and bother my reservations are only a request and not a guarantee.

You cant have too much stress wripro if thats stressful! . My Muse cruise must have different a lot from yours because despite actually booking my choices about 2 months out, all the main restaurants were still bookable right up to embarkation (so no panic at all) and I was able to change my reservations I'd made without any hassles whatsover. Maybe they thought you were a trouble maker! :p

Les, we were hoping to have the nice easy time you had with the restaurants on our upcoming Montreal to Fort Lauderdale Muse cruise. Making these dining reservations after 20 years with Silversea seemed strange, but we did it. However, strange things are now happening. Although the My Silversea activities section still shows the proper reserved icons for booked restaurants, if you click on some of them they say "This activity may have changed, see the Maitre D' after boarding". And when you click on the dining button to view restaurants for that day, the one we reserved says "Not available". No 'waitlisted", but simply not available. Sounds as if various restaurants on various nights are being taken over for whatever purpose, despite previously confirmed reservations. Should be interesting. This is a fully booked cruise, so I hope it doesn't mean more pizza than we'd prefer. We hope that Indochine will continue to have the easy access you noted so we can enjoy many of those lovely dishes in your menu posts.

Les, we were hoping to have the nice easy time you had with the restaurants on our upcoming Montreal to Fort Lauderdale Muse cruise. Making these dining reservations after 20 years with Silversea seemed strange, but we did it. However, strange things are now happening. Although the My Silversea activities section still shows the proper reserved icons for booked restaurants, if you click on some of them they say "This activity may have changed, see the Maitre D' after boarding". And when you click on the dining button to view restaurants for that day, the one we reserved says "Not available". No 'waitlisted", but simply not available. Sounds as if various restaurants on various nights are being taken over for whatever purpose, despite previously confirmed reservations. Should be interesting. This is a fully booked cruise, so I hope it doesn't mean more pizza than we'd prefer. We hope that Indochine will continue to have the easy access you noted so we can enjoy many of those lovely dishes in your menu posts.

In another thread (or is it this one?).... It seems SS have changed the criteria for Atlantide and Indochine and made them open seating.... so if it was either of those you made a reservation with it will have changed. I'm guessing this may be the case here? (I think I'm sure I read it was the TA that it was starting....?)

On mine, we had Atlantide and La Terrazza both showing as "not available" in Monaco. Nearer the date, Atlantide became available and bookable, then later still, La Terrazza available, but La Dame not available. I had assumed it was because Manfredi was hosting again - but on the day, all restaurants were used by guests. This maybe the case here on yours.... but not if its mid atlantic obviously.

The good news though - Indochine is the largest and seemngly least popular of the big restaurants. You wont have any problems eating there I'm certain.... and the food is yummy. There is a nice bar in here too (like there is in Atlantide).... and definitely try the cocktails. The two I had were the nicest I think I had throughout the cruise.

Sounds as if various restaurants on various nights are being taken over for whatever purpose, despite previously confirmed reservations.
Just another example proving the SS reservation system is not a reservation system, but merely a request system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear Travel Partner,

As a valued member of the Silversea family, we want you to be among the first to know about exciting enhancements aboard our newest flagship, Silver Muse. We’ve heard you and your guests’ feedback and are making improvements to our dining experience beginning on October 13, 2017.

In the upcoming days, we will share with your guests the news that we’ve added open seating options, improved the menu offerings and aligned the dress code similarly to the rest of our outstanding fleet. Single travelers, as always, will be welcome to experience these new dining arrangements together across all venues.

Fine dining is a high priority at Silversea and we take immense pride in the quality of our culinary program. We aim to deliver a gastronomic experience that is Simply Divine™, and aboard Silver Muse , we are delighted to implement the following enhancements to further their experience aboard:

• Increased seating capacity at Atlantide
  • Open-seating policy in effect for Atlantide, Indochine and Spaccanapoli
  • Therefore, no pre-booking reservation options needed for Atlantide, Indochine and Spaccanapoli
  • A broad variety of mildly spiced Asian dishes at Indochine
  • Discover a more intimate ambiance at Dolce Vita

Furthermore, we’ve aligned our dress code to the guidelines of the classic fleet:

• 7 Day Cruise or Less
    • No Formal Night

[*]8-9 Day Cruise

• 1 Formal Night

[*]10-14 Day Cruise

• 2 Formal Nights

[*]15 Day Cruise or More

• 3 Formal Nights

We would like to take this opportunity to also advise you on a promotion we dedicate to all guests who sailed aboard Silver Muse in her first 6 months. In order to thank you for your faith and loyalty to Silversea and Silver Muse, we are delighted to offer you $500USD shipboard credit on selected Silver Musevoyages*. As you know, this credit can be used for excursions, in the boutique, in the spa and generally around the ship, so have your clients treat themselves, it’s on us.

We thank you for your feedback which is valuable to us. We look forward to welcoming you and your guests soon onboard the elegant Silversea fleet.

Sincerely,

MarkConroy_Signature.jpg

Mark Conroy

Managing director

Many thanks for that flashinggreen.

I've not received yet - and as its signed by the US director, I wonder if this will be sent to non US customers too? I guess they send staggered (not sure why - but know they do on their usual promotional things.

Fingers crossed this all works out and everyone can have happy faces again! :)

Many thanks for that flashinggreen.

I've not received yet - and as its signed by the US director, I wonder if this will be sent to non US customers too? I guess they send staggered (not sure why - but know they do on their usual promotional things.

Fingers crossed this all works out and everyone can have happy faces again! :)

Les, by the look of it this communication is being sent to travel agents as my TA has received.

Good to see the changes though 😊

Les, by the look of it this communication is being sent to travel agents as my TA has received.

Good to see the changes though

OK cheers.... All my bookings are done direct with SS..... though now I know, if I did make a further Muse booking, I'd be sure not to miss out! :)

Im wondering where the extra Atlantide seating is coming from. Hope its not going to be closer together seating! lol Also, I wonder what they're doing to La Dolce Vita. That's definitely a change no one will be upset about. Such a huge waste of space bar muster and disembarkation aside. I can only think they will be seperating into rooms, guest services and travel desks at one end and making the open space a fair bit smaller.

As long as there is ample seating, I agree open seating in the restaurants is a good thing. I'm just a little concerned there might be traffic jams for Atlantide and people getting turned away. I doubt there will ever be that problem for Spaccanapoli and Indochine from observations. Fingers crossed it works well for everyone.

Well, I wonder when the physical aspects of these restaurant etc. changes will be done? Sounds suspiciously like the work may occur during our Sept 28 to October 12 Montreal to FLL cruise, since the "new order" begins the next day. Maybe this accounts for the strange changes to restaurant availability and already booked reservations noted in my post yesterday.

Well, I wonder when the physical aspects of these restaurant etc. changes will be done? Sounds suspiciously like the work may occur during our Sept 28 to October 12 Montreal to FLL cruise, since the "new order" begins the next day. Maybe this accounts for the strange changes to restaurant availability and already booked reservations noted in my post yesterday.

I truly hope note. That simply wouldn't be fair.

You can take "missing a port"because of bad weather, but restaurants not available because "we've decided to change things and it'll be your loss" isn't something I'd find palatable.

I would ring them and confront them on your suspicions. Either way you deserve an answer.

I do give credit to SS or recognizing very early that their dining system was a failure and needed changes or "enhancement" as they put it in public relations speak. They have also recognized the the dress code according to restaurant was ill conceived and "enhanced" that. So fingers crossed that in time (next dry dock?) they will find a way to return to the days of yesteryear (I know, I'm dating myself) and give us a proper open seating venue that can and will accommodate everyone who wants to dine there whenever they want with whomever they want. The "muses" have spoken.

I have been communicating with SS since my return from the Athens to Venice cruise on the Muse in May. I was basically unhappy with the dining arrangements, poor service in some of the restaurants and inflexibility of the menus.

I received a second response today, 27 July, from Som Mukherjee, Manager, Guest Relations, Europe, Middle East and Africa. The following is part of his letter to me:

Given the significant feedback about the dining and reservations system, we will be implementing the following changes from October 2017. Firstly we will have a daily dress code, consistent with our other classic fleet ships. Secondly we will broaden the variety of the menu in the Indochine restaurant to give it a broader appeal, and importantly, introduce open dining in Atlantide and Indochine. We are also looking to bring in screens to enhance the ambience in the Dolce Vita bar area.

He has already offered me a $500 obc.

I loved the Muse but many aspects of dining and service were not at the usual high SS level when we sailed in May.

I give kudos to the "suits" who listened. Maybe it's not a perfect solution but other than removing walls, I suppose all we can expect is this band-aid approach. Who knows? Maybe it will work & it's certainly worth an open minded approach. I, like you, wonder how they can expand capacity in Alantide without just adding more tables & chairs? For those who have been on the Muse already, would added screens solve the what appears to be general unappealing space? Great menu news for all who will have extended itineraries, that issue seems to be pretty unanimous & makes you wonder what they were thinking (if "they" were.) But again, it's very impressive that the management re-acted this quickly & decisively.

Intrigued that this is a fully booked cruise, however I have only just noticed that it is also being advertised as a B) cruise from Montreal to Boston and a C) cruise from Montreal to New York.

On a second point we do NOT do pizza, even as a last resort!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Considering the amount of crap dealt out to guests during the boutique changes I had hoped their lesson had been learned. I think a definitive statement from Mark Conroy is required.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I, like you, wonder how they can expand capacity in Alantide without just adding more tables & chairs? For those who have been on the Muse already, would added screens solve the what appears to be general unappealing space?

Re. increasing capacity in Alantide: Here's a radical suggestion I have previously made and was (I think perhaps unreasonably) shot down: Open a bit earlier and/or stay open a bit later. Capacity need not be the number of chairs. It can be through-put. Opening, say, a half hour earlier might liberate tables for a reset when the second wave of diners arrives.

Re the screens: If the space is subdivided a bit, it may feel more intimate. Rather than sitting in a large hall, one would be sitting in an alcove.

I have been communicating with SS since my return from the Athens to Venice cruise on the Muse in May. I was basically unhappy with the dining arrangements, poor service in some of the restaurants and inflexibility of the menus.

I received a second response today, 27 July, from Som Mukherjee, Manager, Guest Relations, Europe, Middle East and Africa. The following is part of his letter to me:

Given the significant feedback about the dining and reservations system, we will be implementing the following changes from October 2017. Firstly we will have a daily dress code, consistent with our other classic fleet ships. Secondly we will broaden the variety of the menu in the Indochine restaurant to give it a broader appeal, and importantly, introduce open dining in Atlantide and Indochine. We are also looking to bring in screens to enhance the ambience in the Dolce Vita bar area.

He has already offered me a $500 obc.

I loved the Muse but many aspects of dining and service were not at the usual high SS level when we sailed in May.

Did he offer this $500 OBC as compensation for the restaurant complaints to be used on any cruise - or as part of the general email for guests of the first 6 months on the Muse that can only be used on another Muse booking. (and only specific ones).

I'm not very happy with my last couple of email exchanges with him, so I may well be using your info for another response along the lines of "where's mine"? lol

Did he offer this $500 OBC as compensation for the restaurant complaints to be used on any cruise - or as part of the general email for guests of the first 6 months on the Muse that can only be used on another Muse booking. (and only specific ones).

I'm not very happy with my last couple of email exchanges with him, so I may well be using your info for another response along the lines of "where's mine"? lol

But you're so happy with everything on the Muse. Why would you expect an offer of an OBC?

But you're so happy with everything on the Muse. Why would you expect an offer of an OBC?

I was happy with the Wind in March - but was still happy to accept the $1000 OBC they gave me! Should I have refused it? :rolleyes:

BTW - the offer of $500 was made without any strings to anyone who's sailed on the Muse in the first 6 months. It wasn't expected, but will be gratefully received and be used on the Spirit in April. :D

Don't ask, don't get and as they say in Tesco - "every little helps". These cruises ain't cheap! lol

I was happy with the Wind in March - but was still happy to accept the $1000 OBC they gave me! Should I have refused it? :rolleyes:

BTW - the offer of $500 was made without any strings to anyone who's sailed on the Muse in the first 6 months. It wasn't expected, but will be gratefully received and be used on the Spirit in April. :D

Don't ask, don't get and as they say in Tesco - "every little helps". These cruises ain't cheap! lol

Les, this $500 obc offer to anyone who's sailed on the Muse during the first six months.....can you confirm that it can be used on any ship as l was lead to believe it could only be used on selected future Muse voyages as a perk/incentive to book her again.

As I've stated before l received $500 obc following my complaint to SS and have opted to have that on my December Spirit cruise.

If what you're saying is correct then l should be entitled to another $500 just for sailing on her.

Thanks 😊

Les, this $500 obc offer to anyone who's sailed on the Muse during the first six months.....can you confirm that it can be used on any ship as l was lead to believe it could only be used on selected future Muse voyages as a perk/incentive to book her again.

As I've stated before l received $500 obc following my complaint to SS and have opted to have that on my December Spirit cruise.

If what you're saying is correct then l should be entitled to another $500 just for sailing on her.

Thanks [emoji4]

I'm not confirming anything. Merely that I would ask. I am in dialogue with SS on a number of things, one of which is Muse related and not specifically the cruise I was on.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to bring up pizzagate again as I was under the impression you wanted that put to bed and forgotten about and I certainly never mentioned it or the $500 OBC for your complaint about it. But given your understanding and quote, then yes, if you booked one of these selected Muse cruises, I'd fully expect you would be entitled just as sure you would agree I would be too as it reads it's to anyone who's sailed in its first 6 months

Sometimes Silversea can be very accommodating, sometimes not so. I've made no demands or complaints about my time on the Muse. As I have said repeatedly, there was nothing to complain about. So If it happens, great. If it doesn't so be it. But there are more factors involved here than merely being a guest on the Muse.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums