The musical Cats on Oasis

I have seen Cats several times, once on Broadway. I have read a lot of bad reviews for Cats on the Oasis. I am just wondering if people have not liked the show in general, or (for those who have seen other Cats productions) if the Oasis show is a poorer rendition.

I also liked it and so did my DH but the majority around here don't like it. People say they don't understand the story, but it really isn't that complicated. When we saw it last year, the gentleman that played Old Deuteronomy had also done the role on Broadway, he was excellent. He also did a jazz set in Jazz on 4 during the week. It was standing room only.

If you enjoyed the show enough to see it several times you will enjoy it on Oasis. The production is very well done. The people who have not liked it aboard the ship would most likely also not like seeing the show anywhere else.

ehhh, I struggled to stay awake and we left at intermission, along with many of the people in the theater.

It's definitely one of those musicals that people either love or hate. I've seen it on Broadway and in various lesser productions, so most likely won't go but did make a reservation for the afternoon of the last sea day just in case.

I have read people who do like the show say that the second half is better than the first, and when so many people leave they are missing the better part. LOL

I have seen Cats several times, once on Broadway. I have read a lot of bad reviews for Cats on the Oasis. I am just wondering if people have not liked the show in general, or (for those who have seen other Cats productions) if the Oasis show is a poorer rendition.

You have captured it quite well. People don't like CATS, period. It is a fabulous production. If you like CATS, you will like it on the Oasis.

The show is too sophisticated for many in the cruising population. "I don't know the songs." That's not what Broadway is about. No one knows the songs when a show first opens. And yet theatergoers like shows from the beginning of the run - or the show wouldn't survive.

We enjoyed CATS on Oasis, did not get a seat for the first half, but after the intermission there were lots of seats, the second half (IMO) is the more memorable part. If we sailed Oasis again though I'm not sure whether we would see it again, unlike other ships where we've gone to see the broadway show several times.

My wife loved it, thought it was as good as the show she saw twice on land. Me? Well, below is a link to my Blue collar review (with pictures) of the show.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2353877&page=3

I saw both shows in London. I loved Mamma Mia primarily because it was fun and I'm an Abba fan. I didn't like the CATS story-line and "Memory" is the only song I remember from the show.

I was that way, but now if anyone says "Jelico Cats" it causes me PTSD and I have to lay down.

I thought the production was wonderful. The cast was very good. But its CATS. Not really a "fun" musical and can "drag" in places. I enjoyed HAIRSPRAY much more, and thought it was better suited for a cruise. The first play I saw at sea was MY FAIR LADY onboard the SS NORWAY in 1983. I appreciate RCCL investing in this type entertainment, and its one of the things that keeps us coming back.

We enjoyed CATS on Oasis, did not get a seat for the first half, but after the intermission there were lots of seats, the second half (IMO) is the more memorable part. If we sailed Oasis again though I'm not sure whether we would see it again, unlike other ships where we've gone to see the broadway show several times.

I'm glad I saw CATS and enjoyed (relatively speaking) the show but I think I would pass when on future sailing of Oasis. On the other hand I'd most likely go see Mamma Mia on every sailing we do on Allure. The story is fun and I love the music.

Saw the London original in the late 80s and the Oasis version is every bit as professional as that was. We went to a matinee on Oasis and maybe that makes some difference in that people are not thinking they are wasting an evening and could be doing better things so less leave at the interval.

I think you need to be in the stalls with a good central view to appreciate the costumes, make up and dancing otherwise you could feel disconnected. It's never been my favourite musical and I don't think it's right for a cruise ship (unlike We Will Rock You on Anthem) but you cannot knock the effort they put into this. It has a very loose story linking together songs which vary in style.

And yes Old Deuteronomy sits on stage in the interval (just like in the original) at intermission and you can go onto the stage and have your photo taken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DW and I have enjoyed the show both onboard and on shore as well as played the music umpteen times. The advice I always give is the second half is better than the first. IMHO the music is better and there is a bit more of a tie between the pieces.

I will be with my 6 and 9 year old daughters. I wonder if they will sit through it. Ive seen it in NY so if they want to leave Ill let them. Can you bring drinks in to the show? Food? I dont normally go to the shows.

I will be with my 6 and 9 year old daughters. I wonder if they will sit through it. Ive seen it in NY so if they want to leave Ill let them. Can you bring drinks in to the show? Food? I dont normally go to the shows.

Drinks yes, food I've never seen in the theater.

We saw the show, for the first time, in June. My 12 year old DD loved it. We stayed the entire show, it was long, but we stuck it out. Felt bad for the performers as more than half the theater emptied out at intermission.

Thanks, everyone. You all answered my question beautifully! The first time I saw Cats (on Broadway), we were on the front row and I was mesmerized from the second the cats ran right past us onstage. I am sure I will love it on Oasis. I mainly want my husband to see it, and have no idea if he will like it or not. But glad it is a good production of Cats!