Seattle or Vancouver for Vancouver Cruise

djhsolara

We've never done a sailing from the West Coast, but we're looking at a Pacific Coastal from Vancouver to San Diego.

Does anyone fly into Seattle and do transport to Vancouver or would it just be better to fly into Vancouver? Does HAL offer transport from Seattle to Vancouver?

We usually fly Southwest and they do not do Vancouver...and the hotel prices are much less in Seattle.

Just looking for some input before we talk to our PCC tomorrow.

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You could fly into Seattle, spend the night there and take the Amtrak Cascades train to Vancouver the following morning. If you have the time, I would highly recommend spending at least one night in Vancouver. It is a really gorgeous city.

Interesting thought. Do you know how far it is from the train station to the cruise terminal in Vancouver?

When we sail out of Vancouver, we usually take Southwest Airlines to Seattle airport and rent a car for the three hour drive to Vancouver. There are both Hertz and Avis turn-in stations within walking distance of the port and hotels.

We live in the Seattle area and have often taken a bus called "Quick Shuttle" from either downtown Seattle or SeaTac Airport directly to the cruise terminal in Vancouver. Google it for their schedule and price.

We flew SWA to Seattle last year for our Alaska cruise on NADM. We're on the East Coast so spent our first night in Seattle, toured Seattle (including the excellent USCG museum,) then took the late afternoon Amtrak Cascades to Vancouver. If you travel by train, spend the extra money on Business Class as you are first to Passport Control - and the taxis. That came in handy as we were 45 minutes late due to a bridge opening for ship traffic.Spent that night at a hotel close to the Cruise terminal. Our intention was to walk but needed to take a cab because of the morning downpour. Embarkation took less than an hour.

Disembarking we did the reverse, toured Vancouver, hotel on convenient Robson Street, more of Vancouver and afternoon Amtrak Cascades to Seattle. Another hotel in Seattle, and then a full day of travel back to the East Coast.

We enjoy visiting both cities which is why we spent so much time besides the cruise out there.

Downtown Seattle hotels are very expensive in cruise season. Renting car one-way has the advantage of a very scenic drive (Chuckanut Drive) up toward Bellingham and lower hotel prices in Bellingham. Cross border early next morning before lineups and have breakfast in Vancouver before heading to ship.

Main thing it comes down to is the combo of flight cost difference between SEA and YVR and hotel costs (net of currency exchange).

Cruise booked.

Just for our peace of mind, we're flying into Vancouver staying at the Westin Wall Center. Where does anyone stay in Vancouver? I saw an awesome deal at the Four Seasons but don't know if we want to stay downtown. Any thoughts?

The Westin Wall Centre is kinda remote at that location. But doable if you are arriving at night and will be on a cruise the next day. Otherwise downtown you have plans for a multi-day Vancouver experience.

We're coming in on Friday and cruising Saturday.
If you share your exact cruise date.... we can make better suggestions based on availability. Being so close to a weekend... we can assist with potential congestion planning too.

Cruise booked.

Just for our peace of mind, we're flying into Vancouver staying at the Westin Wall Center. Where does anyone stay in Vancouver? I saw an awesome deal at the Four Seasons but don't know if we want to stay downtown. Any thoughts?

Why would you hesitate to stay downtown? Westin Wall Centre is in Richmond at the airport, you'd be much better downtown.

We are from Oregon and will be driving up to Vancouver. We thought about taking the train or shuttle from Seattle but being senior ladies we decided we didn't really want to be dragging our luggage around so we are choosing to stay at the Accent Inn in Richmond, it's very convenient to the road we will be traveling on (saves us from dealing with downtown traffic in a city we are not familiar with!) and they offer car park for the duration of your cruise as well as round trip transfers to and from the cruise port, all for about the same price the parking facility at the cruise port wanted for just parking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I were looking for hotels that are near the cruise port, in which area should I be looking?

Downtown. Lots of hotels with quite a bit to entertain you for an evening and the next morning within walking distance.

The Pan Pacific is right above the cruise terminal; the Fairmont Waterfront is right across the street. There are a couple of other Fairmonts close by. The Hyatt Regency is a short walk away. The Blue Horizon is recommended regularly in the West Coast Departure forum for more budget conscious travellers. If budget is a concern, there is a YMCA (or YWCA?) hotel that is recommended by locals. There's a lot of information in the West Coast Departure forum. Look for a thread called Vancouver Answers from a Vancouverite (Part 2). There are some locals, including xlxo, who post regularly there with great information.

You could also fly into Seattle and take Quick Shuttle to the Vancouver Airport. Then catch a hotel shuttle to a nearby airport area hotel - they are normally more affordable. Then take the Skytrain to the pier in the morning for about $3 ($8 if you leave from the airport, but we found a nearby (to hotel) station).

Cruise booked.

Def stay downtown :) the 4 seasons is great btw

Downtown. Lots of hotels with quite a bit to entertain you for an evening and the next morning within walking distance.

The Pan Pacific is right above the cruise terminal; the Fairmont Waterfront is right across the street. There are a couple of other Fairmonts close by. The Hyatt Regency is a short walk away. The Blue Horizon is recommended regularly in the West Coast Departure forum for more budget conscious travellers. If budget is a concern, there is a YMCA (or YWCA?) hotel that is recommended by locals. There's a lot of information in the West Coast Departure forum. Look for a thread called Vancouver Answers from a Vancouverite (Part 2). There are some locals, including xlxo, who post regularly there with great information.

When you're saying above, across the street or short walk...are you saying that you can walk to the cruise terminal? Are you able to walk directly into the cruise terminal from the street?

When you're saying above, across the street or short walk...are you saying that you can walk to the cruise terminal? Are you able to walk directly into the cruise terminal from the street?

Fairmont waterfront is across the street from the port. Crazy close and easy to walk. Fairmont Pacific Rim is a Block. Hyatt regency is about 4 blocks downhill to the port. You can absolutely walk into the cruise terminal. It's below the Pan Pacific hotel, there's an elevator down to the port level.

The Pan Pacific is directly above the cruise terminal. They will take your bags (if requested) from your room and you won't see them again until they are in your cabin. A hotel elevator will take you into the terminal.

The Pan Pacific is directly above the cruise terminal. They will take your bags (if requested) from your room and you won't see them again until they are in your cabin. A hotel elevator will take you into the terminal.

I recommend you splurge and book on the Club Floors. Private check in on 23rd floor, great lounge up there with no host bar and a nice breakfast. Concierges in the Club are GREAT- helped us track down some lost luggage last year and put us in contact with the port agent to assist it can be pricey but hey- it's vacation!