Can Bronchitis be connected to a Cruise?

Pepamom

You could have gotten it on the cruise, at the grocery store you stopped at on the way home to pick up mile and bread, or pretty much anywhere.  Unless you are five days into a cruise and come down with Norwalk with half the ship quarantied, I think it's pretty hard to know exactly where you got ill.

That said, I'm fairly certain the lady who sneezed right in my face on the tram in Vienna gave me the cold that came on while we were in Prague a few days later.  🤬🤬

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Interesting to find this thread.  We've over 40 cruises since 2009 anywhere from 4 days to 52 days.  About a dozen cruises ago, I started to get bronchitis after about 8-10 days on every cruise which would last up to two months once home.  Last October, we were on a 5-day (Cabo), and it hit on day two.  I spent 51 hours in quarantine.  I will note that I am a very healthy gal!

We've a Princess cruise upcoming April 4-18 followed by a Celebrity April 21-May 2.  I'd bet doughnuts to dollars that I will get bronchitis on the first cruise causing issues to board the second.  Yes, the ship doctor will give me a report however...

We've a group of eight couples traveling on both.  Sniff...  The good Lord is telling me to pass on these cruises.

22 hours ago, jigger_b said:

Interesting to find this thread.  We've over 40 cruises since 2009 anywhere from 4 days to 52 days.  About a dozen cruises ago, I started to get bronchitis after about 8-10 days on every cruise which would last up to two months once home.  Last October, we were on a 5-day (Cabo), and it hit on day two.  I spent 51 hours in quarantine.  I will note that I am a very healthy gal!

We've a Princess cruise upcoming April 4-18 followed by a Celebrity April 21-May 2.  I'd bet doughnuts to dollars that I will get bronchitis on the first cruise causing issues to board the second.  Yes, the ship doctor will give me a report however...

We've a group of eight couples traveling on both.  Sniff...  The good Lord is telling me to pass on these cruises.

Well, if you have had the experience on each of the last 12 cruises something is happening for sure.  I used to have similar bouts with colds/bronchitis fallowing long flights.  Doc told me to bring a lot of water and avoid alcohol.  I no longer have the issue.  

Anyway, I hope you don't have to experience this on your next cruise.  

Recent trends have increased the chances of picking up some sort of illness.  When I first cruised most ships carried about 600 to 1200 passengers.   Someone on a 4000 passenger ship today has three times as many possibly contagious people around - simple math indicates more than three times the likelihood of picking up something.

• Like 1

My dear DH with COPD is always certain to get the cruise cough after the first week onboard. Our doctor prescribes antibiotics to take. He stays very healthy the rest of the year. This may end or limit our cruising days with the unfortunate and personal trend.

On 7/14/2017 at 1:27 PM, chengkp75 said:

This is very similar to aircraft "A/C" which uses the very cold outside air to drop the humidity.

The outside air in flight is very low in humidity.  Typically both relative and due to the low air temperatures, very low actual moisture.

Aircraft primary system uses engine bleed air (also for pressurization).  The compressed air is hot (compression heats), so they run it through a heat exchanger, then allowed to expand to the desired pressure, which lowers the temperature even more.

Basically, like a home or car AC, but instead of a working fluid and a second heat exchanger, the expanded cold gas is the air that you use.

On 7/14/2017 at 5:07 PM, cruising cockroach said:

Not quite how it works.

Air is very thin at cruise altitude (anything above 10-20,000' ASL and modern jet cruise up to 42,000') so the air has to be compressed so it is breathable (as in dense enough). Air is compressed by the jet turbines and as a result becomes very hot. It is then released into the cabin, and is rather warm, and dry as you mention. A/C is needed to cool this air and some airlines run the temps warm as it saves on fuel.

The cabin is also only pressurised to the equivalent of 8,000' ASL unless you're flying on a 787 where it's 6,400' due to the less-susceptible-to-corrosion carbon fibre construction.

Not exactly.

It cooled, THEN allowed to expand.  And is typically fairly cold, unless rewarmed for comfort