Maho Beach - St. Maarten - BEWARE

The fact here remains that a person died. I'm actually shocked at some of the callous remarks on this board. I feel for her husband, family, and friends. Imagine her husband taking that flight home without his wife. So incredibly sad.<|3 :loudcry:

And that's very unfortunate and we should all feel for her and her family.

But people who are suggesting that the beach is dangerous or that something must be changed are just wrong.

Someone died doing something that is clearly signed as being dangerous and potentially deadly.

If you just hang out on the beach and watch the planes land, you are not at risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The following video was taken several years ago as it's been on line for a long time.

From what I remember (don't feel like researching it now) I believe this woman was not killed, but wasn't in good shape either.

Nonetheless gives anyone who has never been to Maho a very good idea of how dangerous it can be

Maho Beach is perfectly safe. Been there several times and enjoyed each visit.

It's the fence hangers who go across the street and can't read signs are the ones in danger

For that matter, if you're hanging on the fence you're at least aware of the jet blast and trying to remain vertical.

Hoping this doesn't screw it all up for the tens of thousands of people who have gone and wish to continue going. At least I got mine while KLM was still flying in the 747.

Are you a 57 year old woman? You can't fix stupid.

I haven't read the stories, but I'm betting she left go and go blown around. The street and high curbs are the biggest danger. Proud member of the 747 KLM fence riders.

They still use it for the runs to Curacao - but no real beach there to watch from.

I wasn't aware of that, I thought I had read that KLM/Air France was retiring all 747s from passenger service and relegating them to cargo.

The fact here remains that a person died. I'm actually shocked at some of the callous remarks on this board. I feel for her husband, family, and friends. Imagine her husband taking that flight home without his wife. So incredibly sad.<|3 :loudcry:

Welcome to the internet. You can feel for her family all you want and make superficial condolences all over the internet, that doesn't help more than this hurts.

For that matter, if you're hanging on the fence you're at least aware of the jet blast and trying to remain vertical.

Hoping this doesn't screw it all up for the tens of thousands of people who have gone and wish to continue going. At least I got mine while KLM was still flying in the 747.

I totally agree. I'm going in December for the second time and hope it stays open to enjoy the planes coming in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... If you just hang out on the beach and watch the planes land, you are not at risk. ...

I agree, though many don't realize that standing on the beach in the path of the jet exhaust includes a complimentary sand blasting. Not good for sunglasses and cameras. :)

Welcome to the internet. You can feel for her family all you want and make superficial condolences all over the internet, that doesn't help more than this hurts.

Superficial condolences? Bill, don't be so condescending. This thread is a train wreck and some of the replies are disgusting.

I wasn't aware of that, I thought I had read that KLM/Air France was retiring all 747s from passenger service and relegating them to cargo.

When we went Air France was still flying an A340, but it had landed hours earlier and was hours away from taking off. Not sure if that's changed. It's at least still 4 engines, but no 747.

The following video was taken several years ago as it's been on line for a long time.

From what I remember (don't feel like researching it now) I believe this woman was not killed, but wasn't in good shape either.

Nonetheless gives anyone who has never been to Maho a very good idea of how dangerous it can be

Going there cruise after next. So this is what people do there. I will find a spot far enough away just to watch. Thank you for the link.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

I totally agree. I'm going in December for the second time and hope it stays open to enjoy the planes coming in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People were still clinging to the fence yesterday, so I was told by a friend who was at the beach. He said the death of the New Zealand tourist had little effect. I was glad to read that he was only at the beach and the bar and not at the fence awaiting a take off.

I completely agree with you. One death out of tens of thousands of people hardly rates shutting things down for all. As I said in an earlier post, how many people die every year on ski slopes. Skiing doesn't get shut down.

I haven't read the stories, but I'm betting she left go and go blown around. The street and high curbs are the biggest danger. Proud member of the 747 KLM fence riders.

As am I.:)

Believe me, her death video is out there. I ran across it by accident. I hadn't heard about the accident yet and didn't realize what I was watching until after 30 seconds, and it wasn't titled. I can tell you it's very sad to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Going there cruise after next. So this is what people do there. I will find a spot far enough away just to watch. Thank you for the link.

It is not so mush as being far enough away as not being directly behind the plane. You can be at the fence, to the right or left of the runway, just not directly behind the plane. It also makes a difference what type of plane is taking off as some have two engines that are causing the turbulence and others have one. Other planes have even more, so just don't line up at the end of the runway.

Edited by reallyitsmema

Mayo Beach is perfectly safe. Been there several times and enjoyed each visit.

It's the fence hangers who go across the street and can't read signs are the ones in danger

It is difficult to protect people from their own stupidity!

Large planes landing are no problem

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46288818&highlight=off+in+the+distance#post46288818

Planes taking off are a problem

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46288964&highlight=It+was+time+for+the+AA#post46288964

Off to the side where I'm taking photos you get a little bit of the warm blast, but where everyone is standing at the fence is directly behind the propulsion. Note the final photo... these are all the beach goers running into the water to collect all their purses/bags/hats/sunglasses which were blown away and down into the beach/water

Side note: I prefer this side of the beach, next to the "Driftwood Bar". Less crowded, amazing pizza (see photos!!!) and great views of the planes

I am a 55 year old woman and a few years ago I did it. I can tell you that it was absolutely terrifying. I will never do that again. The videos on line do not mention being pelted with boiling hot sand and having to pick it out of your scalp for the next week.

In the end...people using common sense tend to prevail in situations.

Those who take chances end up failing in some cases, and pay the price accordingly.

We've been to MAHO a number of times, and enjoy the landings, but don't even begin to think about the jet takeoff exhaust "fence experience".

I believe that in all the years that airport has been there, this is the first death recorded.

I can't say that about the road I drive on to work every day...

Exactly. One death after how many tens of thousands of people in how many decades and people call others "stupid" and criticize them for their choices?