Equinox Mast Grill Now Extra Cost

TommyD3

You really do your argument little credit when you make transparently false comments like this.

How could it make _more_ sense than to serve the same type of food product at the same venue?

Incidentally, prior to this change, they had served burgers and hot dogs at both OceanView, and this grill.

I would like that they would serve both free and for a fee items at the same venue, but I actually can hear it now from those that are paying for their food. "I can't believe we have to wait in line behind all these folks getting their free food, when I'm paying to order our burger. Can't Celebrity just separate the two". I say this, because on my January cruise, I waited in line for 20 minutes to get a burger and fries, then you have the issue of them having to cook two different types of patties (the free one, which is not so good and the for fee one that is better quality) and then you have to have someone to put together the for fee ones. They could probably do two lines, but knowing the passengers on a cruise ship, there will be those that (1) will get into the wrong line because it is shorter or no one is in it and demand that they get their free burger there or (2) those in the long line who will be saying "I paid the same fare as everyone else, why do I have to wait in the long line, this is not fair". Edited by NLH Arizona

I am going to be flamed but....If you can afford the cruise why not the burger? I'm not saying its right that Celebrity is now charging for food at the Mast Grill.

I see your point, but if you have a family of four then it would cost $40 plus gratuity, and if you go to the pool 4 days then that is an additional $160. $10 is not such a huge thing, but the cumulative costs are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The cost of serving dry aged (and fresh) beef burger is not allocated to all passengers on the ship and only those who purchase it.

As I asked earlier, how do you know it is dry-aged? I am skeptical of that claim by Celebrity. Did you verify this?

What do you mean by fresh? The beef is almost certainly shipped frozen to the ship.

I am the original OP from a few weeks ago who reviewed the TDBB on Constellation. Will this type of thread be repeated every time Celebrity introduces a new TDBB across the fleet? Wow a lot of worry about burgers. For those of you who are a little put off by having to cover up and go into the OVC for a free lousy burger or lousy hot dog previously available as a pool-side lousy burger or lousy hot dog - then you have a right to voice your concern over the inconvenience. For those of you who will never cruise Celebrity (harumph harumph) again because they added a better tasting burger at a charge- that is your choice too- there are lots of cruise lines out there some with free crappy burgers just to your liking. Hope you are happy elsewhere. For those of you part-time lawyers out there having great anxiety about Kobe beef vs American - style Kobe beef- maybe Celebrity will need to make a slight change in their menu description. I for one am impressed that Celebrity responded to this pretty quickly on the website. As for me, a person who actually paid $10 and tried the burger- and then commented here- I can say it was delicious and am happy to have a tasty burger option that did not exist before. If you don't want to pay $10 just don't do it. But you might want to try first........:):)

I am the original OP from a few weeks ago who reviewed the TDBB on Constellation. Will this type of thread be repeated every time Celebrity introduces a new TDBB across the fleet? Wow a lot of worry about burgers. For those of you who are a little put off by having to cover up and go into the OVC for a free lousy burger or lousy hot dog previously available as a pool-side lousy burger or lousy hot dog - then you have a right to voice your concern over the inconvenience. For those of you who will never cruise Celebrity (harumph harumph) again because they added a better tasting burger at a charge- that is your choice too- there are lots of cruise lines out there some with free crappy burgers just to your liking. Hope you are happy elsewhere. For those of you part-time lawyers out there having great anxiety about Kobe beef vs American - style Kobe beef- maybe Celebrity will need to make a slight change in their menu description. I for one am impressed that Celebrity responded to this pretty quickly on the website. As for me, a person who actually paid $10 and tried the burger- and then commented here- I can say it was delicious and am happy to have a tasty burger option that did not exist before. If you don't want to pay $10 just don't do it. But you might want to try first........:):)
Very well said!

If dw and I are out at the pool in our bathing suits with suntan cream and I don't want to pay for the burger (haven't decided yet), they'll see me and others in bathing attire at the buffet. Sorry, clothes police!

Put something on over the bathing suit or you may be asked to leave!

If dw and I are out at the pool in our bathing suits with suntan cream and I don't want to pay for the burger (haven't decided yet), they'll see me and others in bathing attire at the buffet. Sorry, clothes police!

My letter to CEO and my humble opinion- 10 dollar hot dog is ridiculous.

Dear Ms. Lutoff-Perlo,

I can't believe I am writing this e-mail over recently installed menu charges at the Mast Grill on the Equinox.

We are a late middle aged couple who enjoy cruising greatly and currently take at least 2 cruises a year- many more (hopefully). We have enjoyed Celebrity as our 'go-to' cruise line but have also cruised with Princess, HAL and NCL with good results.

We recently understood that the Mast Grill was adding a surcharge of 5 and 10 dollars for hamburgers and 10 dollars for a hot dog? We will be on the Equinox for an 11 night cruise in a few months and one of our favorite activities is lounging around the pool and grabbing a simple lunch at the Mast. Now getting a hot dog will cost me 10 dollars? I am sorry but this is clearly ridiculous. I can go to any 'high priced' sporting venue in the country and get a very well prepared hot dog for 5 to 7 dollars. Paying 10 dollars on a cruise line seems completely misplaced and unrealistic.

The option of dragging ourselves soaking wet into an air conditioned buffet to grab a 'free' hot dog or hamburger seems ridiculous (and a potential health and safety concern).

I understand the need to increase profitability but this seems a really poor area to focus on this effort..

We are OK with charges for specialty dining,etc. where we have a choice and the product offered is a clear upgrade but taking away the convenience of the Mast Grill (this is its primary selling point) because of onerous charges seems mis-directed..

If these 'higher end' products were offered in conjunction with regular fare we would not feel as if this was a blatant attempt to extort more money from your passengers.

Alternatively, why not offer these products in a venue were they might be better enjoyed in an enhanced dining setting.

Please be aware that consumers can make major purchasing decisions based on seemingly minor policy changes. We recently cancelled a NCL cruise after we learned of their policy to not include bottled water in their drink package and the practice of charging a gratuity on a 'free' perk.

As satisfied (to date) Celebrity customers we appreciate your consideration of our comments and clearly would not take time to express them if we felt them trivial.

Sincerely,

Put something on over the bathing suit or you may be asked to leave!

I'm with dabear, I'm not doing anything other than putting on a tshirt and a pair of sandals to go to get a burger or fries from the buffet if that's my only choice. In my bathing suit No one will be able to see the difference between me in shorts and a shirt or straight from the pool :evilsmile:

I am going to be flamed but....If you can afford the cruise why not the burger? I'm not saying its right that Celebrity is now charging for food at the Mast Grill.

I'm about to spend 39 days cruising in a row this fall and 49 days cruising in a row this winter. All on Celebrity.

How do I it. By watching what I spend and not spending on things like $10 on a hamburger by the pool.

"If you can afford to cruise you can......." ..... geese!

There's nothing easier than spending somebody else's money is there.

I'm with dabear, I'm not doing anything other than putting on a tshirt and a pair of sandals to go to get a burger or fries from the buffet if that's my only choice. In my bathing suit No one will be able to see the difference between me in shorts and a shirt or straight from the pool :evilsmile:

I'm about to spend 39 days cruising in a row this fall and 49 days cruising in a row this winter. All on Celebrity.

How do I it. By watching what I spend and not spending on things like $10 on a hamburger by the pool.

BTW.

I actually like the idea of a high end burger, just not eliminating the free choices at the Mast Grill.

Not my problem how they could do it, special orders should be fairly easy for a decent cruise line

OK here is a simple question..

How many people will be more inclined to sail on Celebrity now that they can actually spend money on more food, or how many people will say that this is the last straw, the final nail in the coffin?

(For all the celebrity apologists who think this is a great idea, buy your Royal stock now, it can only go up with this latest improvement)

This must have been in a planning stage for a long time. The decline in offerings on the M-class ships at the outside grill has been painful. Once you are successful making a good product worse, people have no choice but to pay for an alternative.

For people who actually love burgers, there are other cruise lines that do it way better and for free.

I always try to find a solution to an problem. As I've said, I wouldn't pay $10 for a burger when there are free burgers, so the solution, IMHO, is to put on the cover-up/shirt and shoes I wore down to the pool from my cabin and then ask the person in the lounger next to me, if they would watch my lounger, go into the buffet , bring back a free burger and fries and enjoy my lunch.

We have had the "high end burger" at the Lawn Club, Booked as the best in the world. Their words. When asked for medium rare, was told "not allowed" Overpriced at $10. now, I'll wait til our Nov. TA to see what's happening at the Mast Grill.. But this is not a good sign. The poster with the "if you can't afford etc." Should not make claims like that as I think it is an affront to those who do enjoy the ability to get a burger with fries without going into the buffet area. And if it is a given (price) I hope it is substantially better than the current offerings. Johnny Rockets on RCL charges a $10 fee for their burgers but it is in a great atmosphere and fun presentation. Big difference.

Yikes, and I was bent over the upcharge for a 7 day cruise. [emoji33]

Your burgers will cost you almost $1,000 if you eat one a day. [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

OK here is a simple question..

How many people will be more inclined to sail on Celebrity now that they can actually spend money on more food, or how many people will say that this is the last straw, the final nail in the coffin?

(For all the celebrity apologists who think this is a great idea, buy your Royal stock now, it can only go up with this latest improvement)

Bookings are up, profits are up and the stock was upgraded today.

If there is a quality burger available, cruisers will spend the $10.

I always try to find a solution to an problem. As I've said, I wouldn't pay $10 for a burger when there are free burgers, so the solution, IMHO, is to put on the cover-up/shirt and shoes I wore down to the pool from my cabin and then ask the person in the lounger next to me, if they would watch my lounger, go into the buffet , bring back a free burger and fries and enjoy my lunch.

This is not a solution for the majority who will be either dripping wet and have to wait to dry off in order to put on a cover-up OR will be newly greased up with lotion and not want to put clothing on, either. It is too much trouble to have to get dressed again and ask for a lounge babysitter.

It was NOT inconvenient to have FREE burgers [emoji488] at the pool, however.

It is obvious that X is purposely trying to make it more difficult for its passengers to have free food by the pool

This is not a solution for the majority who will be either dripping wet and have to wait to dry off in order to put on a cover-up OR will be newly greased up with lotion and not want to put clothing on, either. It is too much trouble to have to get dressed again and ask for a lounge babysitter.

It was NOT inconvenient to have FREE burgers [emoji488] at the pool, however.

It is obvious that X is purposely trying to make it more difficult for its passengers to have free food by the pool

This was only my solution, so that I will be able to enjoy a free burger and fries and it is up to everyone else to find their solution or not.

We have had the "high end burger" at the Lawn Club, Booked as the best in the world. Their words. When asked for medium rare, was told "not allowed"

I doubt they are freshly grinding the meat on-board; as such medium-rare would be risky. While medium rare does yield the best flavor/texture, one is better off with medium for burgers if they are not from freshly ground, high quality beef sourced from a farm with very high standards. Anytime a place refers to their product as the "world's best" (or some similar wording) I significantly lower my expectations.

I have an idea that will go nowhere. LOL. For all the people before the announcement of the golden burger and and platinum hot dog charges should have their booking reduced by $70.00 pp so that would pay for one burger or hot dog pp per day on a 7 day cruise. If the cruise is longer, add another $10.00 per day.

Yikes, and I was bent over the upcharge for a 7 day cruise. [emoji33]

Your burgers will cost you almost $1,000 if you eat one a day. [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

Don't forget the Mrs. She eats too.

(Not going to eat anywhere or anything every day for lunch but you got my point! Go to the front of the line.) :D

Don't forget the Mrs. She eats too.

(Not going to eat anywhere or anything every day for lunch but you got my point! Go to the front of the line.) :D

I suppose a lot of people might be sharing a burger or a hot dog in the near future. [emoji23]

Well said. Well Said.

While I will miss the ability to run up there to grab a quick hot dog for free (I hate the crowds in ocean view) I will enjoy the option of a good burger. I've tried the pay burger many times on the Reflection over our past two cruises and I have to say it is pretty good. It was good over in Europe but much better once they sailed out of Miami as I suppose they're now using US suppliers. I read someone had an issue getting "medium rare" this was not an issue we had at Lawn Club for the burger at lunch on the Reflection. They had no issue with medium rare.

Life has two choices yes or no. Bring food with you when you come or leave and go to the buffet

I don't have to eat lunch but many people that I watch lunch could have survived without having any lunch or breakfast on the cruise. Fat fat fat fat fat people insist on having lunch and free. Those that least need the food of the ones complaining about dry hamburgers yet the load up their plate and eat with a mouse as full as Chipmunks. I hope you find a happy medium or bring your own thing with you when you come simple. Make sure you pick up your towels on your chair when you go inside for lunch so people like me can have them for an hour

Agree...ladies only need a coverup and flip flops .....slosh slosh slosh!