Equinox Mast Grill Now Extra Cost

TommyD3

Very true, we were the same. (Kids onboard as well back then too! :-) ) That's where I see things have changed a lot since then.

However, this latest change of charges for fast food (regardless of whether they call it "gourmet") just takes them to what is widely referred to as a 3* line here in Australia, P&O.

While there are a few differences between the two, substantially there isn't a great deal to differentiate them in the product/service. Price is a massive differentiator between them though so for the difference in price/product, there just isn't the value in Celebrity any more.

As for me, the Horizon in mid 90's was my first Celebrity cruise and that was light years ahead of food and service you get today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fine. You were in an air-conditioned restaurant with table service and you knew there was an extra charge for eating there. Would you really pay $10 for a burger that you had to stand in line to order, then search in vain for table at which to eat it in the hot sun? Not the same thing at all.

Every time I go on a cruise, Celebrity seems to take something away from my prior cruise. I am paying much more now for my cruise and receiving less benefits. The food in the MDR has gone down so much over the years. Now you are asking me to pay $10 each for a burger and pick it up myself. This is not good service. Celebrity you know better. Please don't continue to nickle and dime us.

We were on the Infinity the month after you in 2001, and it truly was a remarkable experience. The specialty dinner in the SS United States blew us away at the synchronistic unveiling of our dinners. One waiter for two of us at a table for six, hence, three waiters for one table of six. Steak Diane .... still it ranks as one of the best meals I've Ever had. Michael Roux food in the MDR. As you mentioned, multiple pieces of cutlery, even a fish knife whether we were eating fish or not, iced tea spoons, you name it.That was my third cruise , first on X, and my husband's first. Wonderful memories of the Infinity. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Were it not for that great experience on Infinity, it would be hard to say whether or not we would have taken to cruising as we have. Here in Southern California, they have a number of 3 and 4 day Booze Cruises to Catalina and Ensenada. It is more like an enhanced Ferry passage with budget minded alcoholics than a cruise like I described on Infinity. Thus a lot of people that take one of these as their first and last cruises, just don't understand us.

I had forgotten that Michael Roux was the inspiration for that fine dining. We needed assistance figuring out the utensils, and pronouncing the meals, as did our waiter sometimes. We took pictures of the place settings. I found a good review from 2004 of a similar Infinity Hubbard Glacier Cruise. Enjoy!

http://www.cruisereviews.com/Infinity/Infinity29.htm

As for me, the Horizon in mid 90's was my first Celebrity cruise and that was light years ahead of food and service you get today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Same here, I've said many times that service and food back then was far superior than any Specialty restaurant on any Celebrity ship now. And this was every night. Formal nights were really special. Today the MDR is like going to the average wedding with a different menu each night.

It is funny though to see 300 or so complaints on something that no one has tried. And although many are saying its not about the money, it is, since that what the complaint is about. It's not a complaint about the quality of the product since most all have not tried it, or even the loss of the free product (which is still available 5 minutes away).

Same here, I've said many times that service and food back then was far superior than any Specialty restaurant on any Celebrity ship now. And this was every night. Formal nights were really special. Today the MDR is like going to the average wedding with a different menu each night.

Very well stated and unfortunately too true.

Our first cruise ever was a Hubbard Glacier Alaska Cruise out of Vancouver on Infinity in May of 2001. For a grand total of under $2000 for the two of us, we had a package that included airfare, transfers, port fees and Deluxe OV accommodations. The ship was a mere 2 months new and all passengers (not just Suite guests) were given the Royal treatment with all of the bells and whistles. Infinity was a truly special ship.

Formal nights were really formal with multiple servers, elegant place settings, an insane # of utensils and all meals were served @ once under heat retaining Silver Covers. Voila! There was always a String Quartet. The MDR food was equivalent to what the best Luxury lines now offer. Celebrity always won the Large Ship Category for best dining.

Service was 6 stars and practically everything (including Burgers) was part of the cruise fare. It blew us away and got us hooked on Celebrity and cruising for our vacations ever since. Thereafter throughout the early 2000's, all of the Celebrity ships were on the top 10 Conde Naste list year after year after year, usually sweeping all categories!

Who here remembers those glorious days in Celebrity's history? They were still making money in 2001, weren't they??

Well we only started with Celebrity in 2002 on Millennium, but everything you described was correct. I remember and it's very sad to see what cruising has become. At least in mine and DH's opinion.

It is funny though to see 300 or so complaints on something that no one has tried. And although many are saying its not about the money, it is, since that what the complaint is about. It's not a complaint about the quality of the product since most all have not tried it, or even the loss of the free product (which is still available 5 minutes away).

For us the burgers , dogs and fries with no upcharge were fine...we do not need pseudo gourmet for a qwik bite out at the pool area....going to the buffet is not that convenient..esp at prime lunch time

They should .save the specialty burgers for LCG and gastro pub

Walk into the OVC in your swim suit for a burger and let ne know how that goes.

To me, it's NOT about the money . If they ADDED premiim burger in the pool area without the loss of the standard fare, most woyldn't mind it. It's just another choice. They completely botched this whole thing.

The entire TDBB concept is just ridiculous considering its location. Being "5 minutes away" from what was previously offered (sort of) is an interesting argument considering all the inconveniences that go along with it. Sorry, but I hope the experiment fails miserably.

For us the burgers , dogs and fries with no upcharge were fine...we do not need pseudo gourmet for a qwik bite out at the pool area....going to the buffet is not that convenient..esp at prime lunch time

According to a post on another thread a current passenger on the Equinox confirms that the menu posted doesn't list any complementary food items, so this particular food out converted to a extra fee eatery from a complementary one. As everyone has stated, it would have been preferable if they just ADDED the for fee items to the current menu. As with the Spa Cafe, there's a mix of complimentary and for fee food items in the same venue. Same thing with Cafe Bacio; while there are no complementary beverages at Baio, all the pastries & cookies are. No one complains about the mix of complimentary & for fee items in those outlets. In the case of The Mast Grill, that's the only food outlet of its type, and now it's converting to a totally for fee outlet.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

For now, you still gets a good burger, hotdogs and fries (no charge) at the Trident Grill on Princess ships, by the pool. ( At least for now). We have generally sailed on Princess, and are trying out Celebrity in February (Silhouette). Hopefully we'll be happy with the rest of the ship and Celebrity.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is very true,they should change the blowing glass venue to LCG. and have the premium burger serve there with a charge.

Leave the Mast Grill the way it is.Having a burger at sea in an open air setting is so much different of having in OVC.

Thats what I call Modern Luxury at sea.

Johnny, I have a lot of Celebrity friends too but I'm afraid your desire to please them has clouded your judgment on this one. Sometimes they're just plain wrong. If there's any venue they need a place to grab a quick included bite, it's by the pool area. Not having it there is an inconvenience not only for the people using the pool but for the people dining in the buffet. It's particularly bad for families with children.

They're already selling gourmet burgers in Gastropub, Sushi on five, and have them on the menu in Luminae, not to mention the Lawn Club Grill on Reflection and Silhouette, so what exactly is the reason for doing this? It's a little too obvious.

Edited by Ma Bell

That is very true,they should change the blowing glass venue to LCG. and have the premium burger serve there with a charge.

I second that idea. Would love for Celebrity to convert the Corning Glass show to LCG on Solstice, Equinox and Eclipse! We ALWAYS eat there on Silhouette and Reflection. Plus would be WAY more revenue for Celebrity.

For me it is not about the $$$, but about the dishonesty. While I do feel bad for those who enjoyed the food at the Mast Grill, personally I found the fare there to be of poor quality and not worth the calories. It is a venue I have totally avoided past few cruises. Personally I would love a good quality burger available there and would happily pay $10 (IMHO that is on the cheap side for a good quality burger). However Celebrity engaging in false advertising and calling it Kobe beef really irritated me. Celebrity is also claiming it is dry aged beef, which I am skeptical about. Celebrity needs to be honest about what they are serving; depending on what the Top Deck Burger Bar's burgers are made of $10 may be a steal, may be fair, or may be a rip-off.

You need to reread the posts in this and related threads, methinks, if this is how you interpreted the complaints.

According to a post on another thread a current passenger on the Equinox confirms that the menu posted doesn't list any complementary food items, so this particular food out converted to a extra fee eatery from a complementary one. As everyone has stated, it would have been preferable if they just ADDED the for fee items to the current menu. As with the Spa Cafe, there's a mix of complimentary and for fee food items in the same venue. Same thing with Cafe Bacio; while there are no complementary beverages at Baio, all the pastries & cookies are. No one complains about the mix of complimentary & for fee items in those outlets. In the case of The Mast Grill, that's the only food outlet of its type, and now it's converting to a totally for fee outlet.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

Yep. I'd have no problem if "gourmet" extra charge offerings were added to the Mast Grill. I'd probably try a burger! Instead, they'd like me to pay $50 for the convenience of eating in our swimsuits, or face dressing three kids to go into the crowded buffet. I do respect others, and our family will have to clean up and be presentable to go to the OVC. Silly as it sounds, going up and ordering hot dogs in their swimsuits was something they looked forward to. Would it really be so hard to keep the old burgers and hot dogs available outside as well?

I last cruised Celebrity last in 2000. I knew it had changed, but I never would have imagined them making the casual pool grill for-fee only. We board August 6. I know we will enjoy our vacation, but we will not be going to the TDBB.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's less than five minutes away. The Ocean View grill is less than 25 steps from the bar where they make Top Deck Burgers. It makes little sense to serve the no cost burgers at both venues. People like to complain about nickel and diving even though they are adding a high quality product. The cost of serving dry aged (and fresh) beef burger is not allocated to all passengers on the ship and only those who purchase it. The great thing is that if you don't want it, you don't have to pay extra so others can eat them. Some are just looking for an opportunity to dump on Celebrity.

I've had one and a half of the burgers (shared one with my wife - they are very big). They are very good. They are served on a tray, which you can bring wherever you want. When the band is playing loud near the pool, I either brought it to the Solarium area or at the Sunset Bar at the AFT of deck 10 behind the Ocean View (really my favorite place on the Constellation).

They really crossed the line this time. As if the cutbacks in service, the underhanded chartering of partially booked cruises, and a one-sided contract, was not enough. Forget about the lack of pool servers on deck. Skip the part about the ever increasing price of the specialty restaurants, and the extra charge items on the menu there. And don't even mention the complaints about the less then mediocre entertainment. This has truly topped all of these things. I anticipate this being one of the most viewed posts in history, with the most comments. I suppose this is another one of those BUSINESS, bottom line, faceless decision making, scenarios again. As crazy and bizarre as it sounds, this has realistic potential to affect this cruise line. Come sail with us on Celebrity. Where you can spend thousands of dollars on a dream vacation, but have pay $10 extra for a hotdog or hamburger. The Kobe beef lie must be covered under some special wording in the contract somewhere. And someone had the nerve to post about negativity. REALLY..If it didn't happen to me and I'm not affected in any way, then it didn't happen I suppose.

It's less than five minutes away. The Ocean View grill is less than 25 steps from the bar where they make Top Deck Burgers. It makes little sense to serve the no cost burgers at both venues.

You really do your argument little credit when you make transparently false comments like this.

How could it make _more_ sense than to serve the same type of food product at the same venue?

Incidentally, prior to this change, they had served burgers and hot dogs at both OceanView, and this grill.

I am going to be flamed but....If you can afford the cruise why not the burger? I'm not saying its right that Celebrity is now charging for food at the Mast Grill.

They really crossed the line this time. As if the cutbacks in service, the underhanded chartering of partially booked cruises, and a one-sided contract, was not enough. Forget about the lack of pool servers on deck. Skip the part about the ever increasing price of the specialty restaurants, and the extra charge items on the menu there. And don't even mention the complaints about the less then mediocre entertainment. This has truly topped all of these things. I anticipate this being one of the most viewed posts in history, with the most comments. I suppose this is another one of those BUSINESS, bottom line, faceless decision making, scenarios again. As crazy and bizarre as it sounds, this has realistic potential to affect this cruise line. Come sail with us on Celebrity. Where you can spend thousands of dollars on a dream vacation, but have pay $10 extra for a hotdog or hamburger. The Kobe beef lie must be covered under some special wording in the contract somewhere. And someone had the nerve to post about negativity. REALLY..If it didn't happen to me and I'm not affected in any way, then it didn't happen I suppose.

It's less than five minutes away. The Ocean View grill is less than 25 steps from the bar where they make Top Deck Burgers. It makes little sense to serve the no cost burgers at both venues. People like to complain about nickel and diving even though they are adding a high quality product. The cost of serving dry aged (and fresh) beef burger is not allocated to all passengers on the ship and only those who purchase it. The great thing is that if you don't want it, you don't have to pay extra so others can eat them. Some are just looking for an opportunity to dump on Celebrity.

I've had one and a half of the burgers (shared one with my wife - they are very big). They are very good. They are served on a tray, which you can bring wherever you want. When the band is playing loud near the pool, I either brought it to the Solarium area or at the Sunset Bar at the AFT of deck 10 behind the Ocean View (really my favorite place on the Constellation).

The point you're missing is that while the "free" burgers and hot dogs may be less than 5 minutes away, totally different dress requirements apply to go and get them. People by the pool are used to being able to get burgers and dogs in their bathing suits. You can't wear your bathing suit into the buffet.

Nobody really cares if Celebrity wants to offer "upscale" burgers and dogs. They'll buy them or not. I think the location and the lack of table service is inappropriate and, as I've stated several times, I will not pay $10 for a burger (whether or not pretend Kobe beef) at a stand up, takeaway location with no seating and no table service.