Muse dining change?

jollyjones

I was just idly scanning 'my activities' page for my Muse cruise in December since it's coming up to 120 days soon and I have reluctantly concluded that I will need to make dining reservations for every night, if only in self defense. This is not something I want to do but I figure it's easier to cancel once onboard than try and get into a fully booked venue. As a solo, being reduced to room service and eating alone in my cabin is just not going to happen, and although I like pizza and I will be in warm weather, I don't fancy Spaccanapoli every night.

So imagine my surprise when I discovered that Atlantide, Indochine, and of course Spaccanapoli are all showing 'Open Seating'!! The other five are showing 'Reserve' in the usual manner. I wondered if it was just because we'll be in the Caribbean where things are more casual but it also holds true for my Muse Med. cruise next summer.

When I booked these cruises many months ago, I was assured that Atlantide and Indochine would be functioning like the current MDR, and that one could order off either menu in either venue since they are served by the same galley, otherwise I would have been reluctant to book the cruises. I have not been happy reading about current experience with Muse dining although it was clear that something had to change with so much disgruntlement - I hope what I'm seeing on the website will actually come to pass.

Has anyone else noticed this? I did (slightly) wonder if it was just for me as a solo to avoid pre-booking tables for just one person, but then I figured that was far too clever for the SS website and if it wasn't accurate, it'll more likely be a mistake than intended.

So imagine my surprise when I discovered that Atlantide, Indochine, and of course Spaccanapoli are all showing 'Open Seating'!!
Very interesting to read and definitely a difference from just 9-days ago when I booked our Atlantide and Indochine reservations. Both restaurants were not listed as Open Seating at that time.
...but then I figured that was far too clever for the SS website and if it wasn't accurate, it'll more likely be a mistake than intended.
Your intuition is probably right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So imagine my surprise when I discovered that Atlantide, Indochine, and of course Spaccanapoli are all showing 'Open Seating'!! The other five are showing 'Reserve' in the usual manner. I wondered if it was just because we'll be in the Caribbean where things are more casual but it also holds true for my Muse Med. cruise next summer.

Has anyone else noticed this? I did (slightly) wonder if it was just for me as a solo to avoid pre-booking tables for just one person, but then I figured that was far too clever for the SS website and if it wasn't accurate, it'll more likely be a mistake than intended.

Ours also shows "Open Seating". In two days will have the opportunity to reserve and will soon know if it still says open seating.

Management called and said things are in a state of flux and making changes to upcoming cruises, implementing customers suggestions. The two high end restaurants will require reservations and menus will change each week. Italian dining will rotate "maybe" every four days or could be rotated weekly. Open seating restaurant menus will have one to two new items added each night.

So that's the latest as of today....

Wow -- more complexity! I can just see the scenarios:

me -- let's go to Indochina tonight -- no need to dress formally.

Husband -- good idea.

Get to Indochine, no room at the inn, but available seats in Atlantide -- uh-oh, we are not dressed properly.

Another scenario -- just make reservations every night for La Terrazza, and if able to get into Atlantide or Indochina, either cancel or be a no show.

I would also expect long lines at Atlantide and Indochina, resulting in unhappy passengers.

I do think the dining situation on Muse does not sound good, but open seating in 2 restaurants that will not accommodate even half the ship's passengers is not the answer.

I agree with Jolly Jones about booking dining reservations in self defense.

All indications are that management is listening. I guess we will just have to see what will be done to correct this "awkward" situation. As obsessed as I have been about this subject, I keep trying to figure out how this could have happened.

I have never heard anyone complain about having a MDR. All I have ever heard has been appreciation for the spontaneity of just walking in and being seated as we, the passengers, request. Some nights joining big tables, sometimes, with just met people, at tables for 6 or four, or alone as a couple. Can we agree that this worked very well? And can anyone tell me what were the determining motivations for changing something which so many of us found an enhancement...actually an attraction/inducement to choose Silversea.

I do agree with CruisinPashmina about enjoying a MDR. However delighted to see that SS is listening to pax and is rotating menus in Atlantide and La Terrazza. So many of us on the Muse in May put it on our comments. Will give them a big tick for that!!

Jane

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with Jolly Jones about booking dining reservations in self defense.

All indications are that management is listening. I guess we will just have to see what will be done to correct this "awkward" situation. As obsessed as I have been about this subject, I keep trying to figure out how this could have happened.

I have never heard anyone complain about having a MDR. All I have ever heard has been appreciation for the spontaneity of just walking in and being seated as we, the passengers, request. Some nights joining big tables, sometimes, with just met people, at tables for 6 or four, or alone as a couple. Can we agree that this worked very well? And can anyone tell me what were the determining motivations for changing something which so many of us found an enhancement...actually an attraction/inducement to choose Silversea.

Silversea is trying to attract a new and different demographic to cruising. As we old school guests age out of cruising, millennials and young people will be needed to fill future berths. And the old style of dining onboard will not attract them in some opinions.

Ours too. Has anyone seen a change inside the 120 day period?
Mr. Silver,

I just checked our voyage and it has changed (see attached images). We are currently at 104 days before embarkation.

Oddly, all of our reservations for Atlantide and Indochine are still showing on MySilversea.

OpenSeatingAtlantide.JPG.0bf74cab6a3457d3ab1e64dc7b8dd2f2.JPG

OpenSeatingIndochine.JPG.7923b1f1c0c3c6ac6d3952a7087beb36.JPG

We embark Silver Muse one week from tomorrow. I called my rep at Silversea and she indicated the following:

For my cruise and the next several, things will remain as they are: reservations for all dining venues and dress code by venue.

Beginning in October the Muse will become like the other vessels: open seating in Indochine and Atlantide (kind of a main dining room) and dress code will be by number of nights.

I hope this is correct and that it is helpful.

I will report after our cruise on how things worked out.

Jim

We embark Silver Muse one week from tomorrow. I called my rep at Silversea and she indicated the following:

For my cruise and the next several, things will remain as they are: reservations for all dining venues and dress code by venue.

Beginning in October the Muse will become like the other vessels: open seating in Indochine and Atlantide (kind of a main dining room) and dress code will be by number of nights.

Jim

That will be good news. Given that our upcoming cruise on the Muse starts at the end of September and goes into October, I wonder whether we will see the change during our cruise.

I have my fingers lovingly crossed that October 1st, or sooner, we will see SS return to the usual, friendly, flexible, open dining concept.

As to attracting younger passengers, all the Millenials I know, would want even less structure than we older, faithful, and usually more formal passengers. I have been sailing with SS for so many years that I probably have barnacles. I do not want to have to make all dinner reservations months, weeks or even a day ahead. I have always understood needing to make reservations for a special dining experience in Le Champagne, and for the Terrasse which is serviced by a small kitchen.

No MDR? A terrible concept no matter how old you are. Time for my nap!

Jim

I just spoke with my Silversea rep and he also told me that the changes are as you stated--Indochine and Atlantide will become sort of the MDR with open seating and they will restate the formal nights and ship-wide dress codes as on the other ships. He said it will change in the fall but they have not given him a hard date yet as there are some issues to work out with this change. So happy this is happening but I wish it were in effect when we sailed on the Muse a few weeks ago. It is really good to know they are listening to us though.

That will be good news. Given that our upcoming cruise on the Muse starts at the end of September and goes into October, I wonder whether we will see the change during our cruise.

I hope we do. I looked at MySilversea earlier today and it was still showing the reserve system.

Beginning in October the Muse will become like the other vessels: open seating in Indochine and Atlantide (kind of a main dining room) and dress code will be by number of nights. ~Jim
Thank you Jim for sharing your news.

Personally, while we didn't mind to make reservations in advance, open seating makes a ton of sense in Indochine and Atlantide. And, we are excited to know that formal nights will return for the whole ship. There is just something that we really enjoy about those evenings as a middle aged couple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This all seems positive and very welcome. Does anybody know roughly the combined dining capacity of Atlantide and Indochine. I know this was discussed some months earlier on a previous post but I can't seem to locate it now. I think the success or not will largely depend on having adequate capacity between these two venues.

This all seems positive and very welcome. Does anybody know roughly the combined dining capacity of Atlantide and Indochine. I know this was discussed some months earlier on a previous post but I can't seem to locate it now. I think the success or not will largely depend on having adequate capacity between these two venues.

140+180 I believe

140+180 I believe

If these figures are correct (and I have no reason to doubt them), these two restaurants could accommodate more than 50% of the passengers on a fully booked cruise at a single sitting.

Presumably, a number of the tables will be reset and used for a second set of guests. And other guests will opt to eat at one of the other restaurants on the Muse.

So this should work out.

If these figures are correct (and I have no reason to doubt them), these two restaurants could accommodate more than 50% of the passengers on a fully booked cruise at a single sitting.

Presumably, a number of the tables will be reset and used for a second set of guests. And other guests will opt to eat at one of the other restaurants on the Muse.

So this should work out.

Figures provided by Master Echo on her magnificent thread on her initial 'musings on the Muse'