Future Cruise Credits-Unable to Use due to Health Reasons

lorenzod

Call ncl and remind them that when you bought the certs their ships did things differently and that's why you bought them and now ncl has changed up things to the point where you are unable to cruise them

There are plenty of examples

The water ban

The mandatory gratuities on the "free" drink packages

The numerous dsc increases over. 12 month period

The a la Carte specialty pricing

These things might be minor to some but if you bought the certs with certain understandings and those understandings have changed then ncl isn't delivering what they promised they would when you bought the certs

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have 2 Future Cruise Credits worth $250 each that I may not be able to use due to health reasons. I understand they are transferable. How can I find people who may be interested in purchasing them?

they are selling on eBay for about $175-$180+

While the face value is $250 you only paid $150 getting $100 in non refundable OBC whether you used it or not.

If you have a NCL Latitudes rewards account which you should have after one cruise - the certificates are

easily transferred to other Latitudes members - how this is done check with NCL for the details.

For selling on ebay you would have to set up a dealer/sellers account and have paypal as the instrument

by which payments are made and received. Beware of scam artists but with Paypal it is made very very

difficult to screw this up. With Ebay you can set up the auction as a BUY IT NOW where the buyer WHO MUST

BE a NCL Latitudes member pays the price you have posted and the transaction is completed far easier than if sold by Auction Bid.

For the auction bidding you set up the auction starting at the suggested minimum bid of $150 to recover your actual expense of buying the certificate (remember you bought it for $250 but got a $100 OBC credit back) and

add in the sellers expenses to ebay and paypal for the auction and then perhaps tacking on the NCL transfer fees.

Thus perhaps the minimal starting bid should be something like $175 - bids are placed and the high bidder wins and pays you. The high winning bidder must be a NCL Latitudes member.Then you call NCL and transfer the certificate to that buyer.

Note you do not actually have the certificate in hand - you may have a receipt but the certificate is on file with

NCL in your Latitudes account and would need to be transferred to the ebay buyer.

If you are familiar with how ebay works this helps..

You can go to the ebay website and check out (Search - NCL next cruise certificates) browse around and see

what is the going bids and prices for these certificates and see if it is worth your time and interest to sell thru ebay !

Don't feel comfortable doing it that way then perhaps find away to make the deal here through CC. Maybe someone

reading this thread may be able to help you in transferring the certificate.

Be careful of CC protocol bartering selling of goods here at the CC site.

Also note that the certificates must be used BEFORE the expiration date !

Call ncl and remind them that when you bought the certs their ships did things differently and that's why you bought them and now ncl has changed up things to the point where you are unable to cruise them
Has anyone on this board actually managed to get a refund of their future cruise deposits with this sort of argument?

Besides, the most they will do is refund your money (taking into account the OBC you already got), so you will have gone to all the trouble for nothing. On the other hand, if you know how to sell, you can end up $50+ ahead for your efforts, per certificate.

The refund period has been 30 days for a LONG time. What changed and when did it change?

What the poster you quoted is saying is that Ncl sold the op those FCC under a certain set of offerings and then Ncl changed the rules of the game

Now since Ncl has changed their procedures and offerings the op may no longer be interested in Ncl...primarily due to these changes the op has a valid reason to request a refund regardless of 30 day timeframe

Simply put..

When those certs were purchased Ncl promised one thing and then Ncl changed what they promised

It's as good an argument as any to ask for a refund

It may take several phone calls and a good negotiating argument on the part of the op but the bottom line is that Ncl is no longer providing the same product today that they promised the op when the op bought them

Edited by Crusin6

This is the silliest thing I've ever heard. If someone called and asked for their certs to be refunded over this I hope they would laughed at and hung up on. Whenever you purchase a future credit to a business you are accepting the risk that: a. Prices may change in the future, b. Product offered may change in the future, c. You may be unable to use in the future due to factors involving you (no time, you move, financial factors change, etc).

This would be like purchasing a $100 gift card at outback when they are offering the $25 free. Using the $25, then holding onto the $100 for years and then asking for a refund because their prices went up and the menu changed.

I hope OP is able to sell them on eBay. I've not seen deals for certs worked out on cruisecritic. You need to go somewhere where there are buyers actively looking and it's linked into PayPal so you can receive a secure payment.

I have 2 Future Cruise Credits worth $250 each that I may not be able to use due to health reasons. I understand they are transferable. How can I find people who may be interested in purchasing them?

How much time is left on your FCCs? Do they need to be used within months or are they good for another year? These are things that will help those interested in buying either one or both. I would say $150 each sounds like a reasonable price if that's what you're going ask for them.

All I'm saying is that a little more info would help in your efforts to sell them. Good luck.

What the poster you quoted is saying is that Ncl sold the op those FCC under a certain set of offerings and then Ncl changed the rules of the game

Now since Ncl has changed their procedures and offerings the op may no longer be interested in Ncl...primarily due to these changes the op has a valid reason to request a refund regardless of 30 day timeframe

Simply put..

When those certs were purchased Ncl promised one thing and then Ncl changed what they promised

It's as good an argument as any to ask for a refund

It may take several phone calls and a good negotiating argument on the part of the op but the bottom line is that Ncl is no longer providing the same product today that they promised the op when the op bought them

I think you missed the part where the OP said they cannot use them due to HEALTH REASONS.

That is actually what I am doing with my post to the NCL community.

to the OP:

If you are selling, you need to SAY you are selling.

And give a contact

And give a price

And give an expiration date

Otherwise, you are not selling anything, yet.

NCL promised $250 off a future cruise when they purchased the certificates. Nowhere do they promise that everything is going to stay the same for those future cruises.

However if the product has changed and those changes are enough to discourage a FCC holder from cruising ncl then that FCC holder has a valid argument for a refund

Again, the OP can't use them because of HEALTH ISSUES.

Is there a rule that says he must tell ncl this?

However using the health issue angle might actually work as well

Point is you tell ncl their product changed from what the offered when they sold you the certs

Which it has btw

And for that reason you are respectfully requesting a refund because it's not the same product they promised when they sold you the FCC.

Haven't you ever negotiated with anyone before and had them agree with you?

It's done all the time...especially on contract deals like 2 year cell phone deals and the like

My bad because I thought this was common knowledge

Good luck in speaking with NCL about getting a refund (as it will most definitely be a pro-rated or discounted refund) outside of its T&C in effect, regardless of reasons ... sorry. That's why they give you up to 4 years to decide, transfer, give it away, barter or sell it at a discount (against its "fair market value" - not face value)

With a soon to expire certificate, I would set the asking price to be less than $150, maybe $125 or (dare I say so) for less - for a quick & immediate sales/transfer ... otherwise, its value would plunge toward zero.

One of my BIL brought 4 CNC recently and paid $500 for 4 of them, his costs - $125 (face value is $250 each) since NCL applied 50% against the purchase price instead of using it as OBC.

The asking price & negotiated final sales/transfer price are all between OP and prospective buyer, of course. A non-CC'er shopping on eBay will probably be willing to pay closer to $150 or $175 for it whereas a CC'er surfing here, doing her/his due diligence, would likely counter-offer & pay a lower price, IMHO, knowing how this works ...

YMMV.

Good luck in speaking with NCL about getting a refund (as it will most definitely be a pro-rated or discounted refund) outside of its T&C in effect, regardless of reasons ... sorry. That's why they give you up to 4 years to decide, transfer, give it away, barter or sell it at a discount (against its "fair market value" - not face value)

With a soon to expire certificate, I would set the asking price to be less than $150, maybe $125 or (dare I say so) for less - for a quick & immediate sales/transfer ... otherwise, its value would plunge toward zero.

One of my BIL brought 4 CNC recently and paid $500 for 4 of them, his costs - $125 (face value is $250 each) since NCL applied 50% against the purchase price instead of using it as OBC.

The asking price & negotiated final sales/transfer price are all between OP and prospective buyer, of course. A non-CC'er shopping on eBay will probably be willing to pay closer to $150 or $175 for it whereas a CC'er surfing here, doing her/his due diligence, would likely counter-offer & pay a lower price, IMHO, knowing how this works ...

YMMV.

What I'm suggesting is basically to sell it back to ncl

No need to find other buyers. Ncl should buy their product back

Of course this will take savvy negotiating skills and valid arguments (which definitely exist) and if course several phone calls but it has been posted here over the years that pax HAVE been successful in returning FCC long after the 30 days

Is there a rule that says he must tell ncl this?

However using the health issue angle might actually work as well

Point is you tell ncl their product changed from what the offered when they sold you the certs

Which it has btw

And for that reason you are respectfully requesting a refund because it's not the same product they promised when they sold you the FCC.

Haven't you ever negotiated with anyone before and had them agree with you?

It's done all the time...especially on contract deals like 2 year cell phone deals and the like

My bad because I thought this was common knowledge

What has changed with NCL is irrelevant to the reason why the OP is selling his certificates. Not sure why you want to twist this. I sure as heck wouldn't use that argument if I was the OP, but then again I don't believe in being deceptive with the businesses I deal with any more than I want them to be deceptive with me.

Most every business model changes over team, some with big changes, some minor.

NCL isn't going to refund these and again that's irrelevant because the OP isn't even asking for that.

What has changed with NCL is irrelevant to the reason why the OP is selling his certificates. Not sure why you want to twist this. I sure as heck wouldn't use that argument if I was the OP, but then again I don't believe in being deceptive with the businesses I deal with any more than I want them to be deceptive with me.

Most every business model changes over team, some with big changes, some minor.

NCL isn't going to refund these and again that's irrelevant because the OP isn't even asking for that.

The op didn't ask for a refund because he probably doesn't know it's a possibility at this point.

It's just another option for the op to ask for a refund but please read carefully...that I said it was a POSSIBILITY....not a 100% guarantee

It's been done before as posted on these boards after the 30 day mark and I'm not disputing the validity of posters who have done it....I'm just saying I've seen it posted that's its been successful

When ncl asks why he cant go with

His health

His displeasure with ncl changes

You are acting as though ncl will be able to read the ops mind over the phone but they can't so he can use any argument that works

Or he can sell them. Give them away or just write them off.

Fwiw....I wouldn't worry about losing $125 or $150 if the reason I couldn't go was health related. I'd give them away if I couldn't sell them or I'd let let expire and call it a day

That IS using it as OBC. That is the way it always goes but the marketing spiel wants people to think that they have extra OBC to spend when they really don't need to spend anything more.

What I'm suggesting is basically to sell it back to ncl

No need to find other buyers. Ncl should buy their product back

Of course this will take savvy negotiating skills and valid arguments (which definitely exist) and if course several phone calls but it has been posted here over the years that pax HAVE been successful in returning FCC long after the 30 days

I kind of doubt that a $9/hour call center rep has the freedom to refund $150 in violation of published policies, regardless of one's negotiating skills. Nor would their supervisor.