How Does Princess Keep Folks From Packing a Gun in Their Checked Luggage?

wizard-of-roz

This question was asked of me and I said that checked luggage was put through a scanner before it's put on the ship. Am I correct?

I know that our carry-on's are put through the same TSA [or like] process before we board but what about our checked luggage?

This question was asked of me and I said that checked luggage was put through a scanner before it's put on the ship. Am I correct?

I know that our carry-on's are put through the same TSA [or like] process before we board but what about our checked luggage?

Your checked luggage would be scanned twice.

At the Airport (If flying)

And, all checked luggage is scanned by Princess.

I have heard of cases where knives are found;

also booze confiscated.

They often find knives and alcohol in checked baggage. Small scissors are okay, but if they can find the alcohol and knives, you can bet a gun will stand out and be confiscated. The person goes to the "naughty room" as some people call it, and gets a claim check for the item confiscated and then they get it back upon disembarkation.

Yes. All luggage and carry-ons are scanned.

Pam, it was my SIL Debi who asked and she specifically asked me to ask you. Thank you for being so quick with your response.

We look forward to seeing you onboard the Emerald in April. Take care!

Your checked luggage would be scanned twice.

At the Airport (If flying)

And, all checked luggage is scanned by Princess.

I have heard of cases where knives are found;

also booze confiscated.

We drive to the port. Thanks for the information.

They often find knives and alcohol in checked baggage. Small scissors are okay, but if they can find the alcohol and knives, you can bet a gun will stand out and be confiscated. The person goes to the "naughty room" as some people call it, and gets a claim check for the item confiscated and then they get it back upon disembarkation.

Definitely good to know, thank you!

You won't see them because they are in the warehouse. DHS is responsible for pier security and dogs are around.

At San Pedro I've actually seen the port policeman with a dog.

I travel quite extensively with a Service Dog, all over the world. I've cruised just about every major cruise line, again in different parts of the world, and have yet to see a dog on debarkation or embarkation day in or around the various terminals.

I'm always looking for other dogs because my job is to protect my Service Dog and I know that Working Dogs, whether it be for the Police or for the TSA would not be expecting to see a dog in either the airline or cruise terminal.

On only two other occasions did I see a Working Dog; once at LAX and on another occasion in Paris.

I'm glad to hear that they're using the dogs in the warehouse, these dogs are brilliant at what they do, I just haven't been witness to it yet.

On a recent cruise out of Southampton, we had to go to a secure area in the terminal several hours after boarding the ship to open a piece of our luggage since it appeared that there was a weapon inside. We had no idea what they were talking about until they showed us a sketch of what they saw. It was quite funny, since it was a miniature of the Shard...that tall, pointy building in London. I guess it looked like a weapon when it went through the scanner. THAT is how they detect weapons of any kind, including firearms.

I have been on deck and watched dogs sniffing around the supplies being loaded. They also bring doge on board in port if they suspect drugs are being used/smuggled. They used to regularly find drugs in Bermuda. EM

Usually dogs are sniffing for explosives...a much bigger concern than illegal drugs.

Not necessarily true..... that's how they busted the 3 crew members from the Island Princess at the start of the Alaska season this year for drugs:

The Island Princess was set to leave for Alaska when Canada Border Services Agency officers and members of the Vancouver Police Department's Canine Unit boarded the vessel and performed a search on Wednesday.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/crew-members-on-vancouver-docked-cruise-ship-arrested-for-drugs-1.3410240

A couple of cruise ago I had a small pocket knife (3 inches or so) in our checked luggage and they found it during the scan. A note was left in our cabin and I had to go down and open the luggage and turn the pocket knife over until the end of the cruise and then haul the luggage back to our cabin. Needless to say I was impressed and a lesson learned. I also forgot to pick up the knife when we disembarked.

Sent from my iPad using Forums