How Does Princess Keep Folks From Packing a Gun in Their Checked Luggage?

wizard-of-roz

We got called to the naughty room once, I forget now what for. While there, I checked out the large canvas bins on wheels of stuff they confiscated from luggage's. Coffee markers, a waffle iron, electric frying pan, a toaster, clothes irons. In another bin, bottles of vodka, whiskey, rum, etc. It was the expensive stuff too. I didn't see any guns, but I'm rest assured if there's one in a luggage, it will be found.

A couple of cruise ago I had a small pocket knife (3 inches or so) in our checked luggage and they found it during the scan. A note was left in our cabin and I had to go down and open the luggage and turn the pocket knife over until the end of the cruise and then haul the luggage back to our cabin. Needless to say I was impressed and a lesson learned. I also forgot to pick up the knife when we disembarked.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And yet if you dine in the Steakhouse, they give you a really sharp steak knife! I've carried on a Swiss knife before and it's never been confiscated. I carry it in my purse and I forget that it's even in there. Flew to Las Vegas and back with it in my purse.

They also use dogs to check luggage for illegal items.

I have yet to see this, while cruising.

The dogs at Pier 91 are used to check for explosives. They check all luggage as well as all the supplies (food, drink, materials, etc.) that are loaded onto the ship.

Tom

I have yet to see this, while cruising.

They actually do have dogs on the ship in some ports right when the ship docks. We were walking back to the ship one day in SFO with my Mom's German Shepherd service dog when we ran into the CD. He said they had 2 German Shepherd dogs onboard first thing that morning to walk the passenger decks to smell for drugs. I had no idea that they did this. The CD made it sound that this was pretty routine.

And yet if you dine in the Steakhouse, they give you a really sharp steak knife! I've carried on a Swiss knife before and it's never been confiscated. I carry it in my purse and I forget that it's even in there. Flew to Las Vegas and back with it in my purse.

Maybe TSA should hire the cruise line screeners?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Speaking of sniffing dogs, a woman on our first cruise was loudly insisting that the sniffing dogs were only for "sniffing for fruit!!". The cruise director somehow kept a straight face among the hooting in the room and told her to keep thinking that.

Steak House knives probably very closely watched, by the Wait Staff, for theft.

You would probably get a visit, from Security, if one was missing.

Swiss Army knives, with a blade length of less that 3 inches, is legal.

It is a folding knife.

Any knife with a blade length over 3 inches are illegal.

Have seen blade lengths checked at TSA.

Over 3 inches in length and "Fixed' are illegal; as well as folding knives.

You won't see them because they are in the warehouse. DHS is responsible for pier security and dogs are around.

At San Pedro I've actually seen the port policeman with a dog.

I have seen the dogs plenty of time. It's a good thing that they have them to.

Tony

My husband bought a replica antique pistol in Toledo Spain before our Med cruise on the Regal.

He was called down to the dock after it was picked up in the scanned luggage. He went ashore and the Spanish police at Immigration said it was a souvenir- it had a solid barrel but was confiscated til we disembarked in Venice.

Then we had to get it home to Australia. A bit of creative packing involving charge cables, shoes,belts and a computer disguised it and got it home without detection.

It now sits in the top of the wardrobe with all the other must haves - pith helmet, fez, Rasta wig etc Maybe come in handy for fancy dress one day.

We got called to the naughty room once, I forget now what for. While there, I checked out the large canvas bins on wheels of stuff they confiscated from luggage's. Coffee markers, a waffle iron, electric frying pan, a toaster, clothes irons. In another bin, bottles of vodka, whiskey, rum, etc. It was the expensive stuff too. I didn't see any guns, but I'm rest assured if there's one in a luggage, it will be found.

Not if their of the printed variety.

Well say you did get it on board, you leave the ship at port with it, but now you have to get back on the ship. You have to walk through a metal detector and your bag goes through an x-ray machine. Ding, Ding, Ding. Now you have some explaining to do. This could lead to you not getting back on the ship and you have to find a way home. I have seen dogs in foreign ports as you get off the ship checking people.

Now you are in a foreign port. Your off the ship. You run into a problem. The local law is called and depending on their laws, you may not be making home for awhile. I have traveled to many parts of the world and have not yet once come across an area that I would need a gun. As an old boss of mine always said " You have to have a sense of awareness".

Only once, so far, did my awareness alarm go off, when off the ship. If it looks like something is not right, walk away from there.

You are more likely to be pickpocketed, than have a need for a gun.

This question was asked of me and I said that checked luggage was put through a scanner before it's put on the ship. Am I correct?

I know that our carry-on's are put through the same TSA [or like] process before we board but what about our checked luggage?

Hmmm!

Don't think I would have asked that question, even on behalf of a good friend.

We do not need to the 'how'. We just to be reassured that they 'do'.

The only people who NEED to know 'how' are those with bad intentions.

Ok, with over 10,000 posts, it would appear that you are probably a 'good guy' BUT the 'bad guys' who really need to know the answer are going to ask apparently innocent questions in order to gain the intelligence they need!!

Personally I would rather hope that such a question, however 'apparently' innocent, would trigger an interest from those we rely on to keep us safe.

Do not be surprised if your luggage is subjected to more intense scrutiny than normal on your next cruise.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

To have a gun , you'll probably have ammunition.Dogs can sniff out ammunition.

Actually this may be sort of not true. Dogs can sniff out what they are trained to sniff out. It is a game to them. Find the drugs and you get a treat.

Since I would guess that the security people are more worried about drugs and illegal food items, there are probably not a lot of dogs trained to sniff out ammunition.

DON

Actually this may be sort of not true. Dogs can sniff out what they are trained to sniff out. It is a game to them. Find the drugs and you get a treat.

Since I would guess that the security people are more worried about drugs and illegal food items, there are probably not a lot of dogs trained to sniff out ammunition.

DON

I'm sure there are but when was the last time you've seen dogs sniffing passengers when boarding?

Maybe at airports but not cruise ships- yet.

I'm sure there are but when was the last time you've seen dogs sniffing passengers when boarding?

Maybe at airports but not cruise ships- yet.

I don't know. None of us are present when they scan our luggage before the luggage is loaded on the ship. It is possible there are dogs there.

I think there are a lot of security pre-cautions going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of. It is supposed to be that way!

I don't know. None of us are present when they scan our luggage before the luggage is loaded on the ship. It is possible there are dogs there.

I think there are a lot of security pre-cautions going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of. It is supposed to be that way!

But certainly not for carry on luggage that I've seen.

And pre cruise intel sharing among LEO agencies. That's why we have something called no fly list and persons of interest flagged in LEO systems.

We have seen the dogs working both before and after cruises. Before the cruise, they were sniffing around the items being loaded on the ship. After, they were sniffing around the luggage.

Ditto.....:):):)

Bob

Here is my thinking on this subject.

If Princess found a Gun in luggage, Security will have more interest then just confiscation and issuing a cabin number tag for the gun.

If anything, that should be grounds for refusing the passenger boarding.

Bob

Here is my thinking on this subject.

If Princess found a Gun in luggage, Security will have more interest then just confiscation and issuing a cabin number tag for the gun.

If anything, that should be grounds for refusing the passenger boarding.

Bob

Let's hope so! Not sure why anyone would need to or want to bring a firearm onboard a ship!