How Does Princess Keep Folks From Packing a Gun in Their Checked Luggage?

wizard-of-roz

#7 lead shots and busted clay discs littering the ocean. Environmentalists will not approve.

They are both environmentally friendly now. But, of course, it's not about that ;)

#7 lead shots and busted clay discs littering the ocean. Environmentalists will not approve.

They are both environmentally friendly now. But, of course, it's not about that ;)

You've got that right.

Princess wont even allow people to shoot ducks in the laser simulator for fear of promoting killing of animals. :eek:

Just to set the record straight, dogs can be trained for all kinds of things. Often they are specific to certain tasks like drugs. But with drugs, it's not a general thing. Each dog is trained to its departments policy for whatever substances they want. These drug dogs are often smelling for the common narcotics like marijuana, heroin, cociane etc. If the dog has been trained to find the scent of the specific compound it will. Identify it. These dogs train relentlessly and can smell 30 min or an hour later an area that has been rubbed or been near a particular drug. It doesn't even have to be present at the time of the sniff. Their noses are not wrong.

In addition to drugs dogs can be trained for other purposes like ammunition or agricultural use. Dogs can also be trained as patrol dogs; my friend's now retired K9 partner has been trained to exit the car on command and will return, and open the door and get back in when told to do so. He will take down a bad guy fleeing in a heartbeat and the bad guy will sorely regret his decision because there is always a hospital trip and stitches involved. It's like getting hit by a car when on of these dogs takes a person down.

I would not describe it as play to the dogs at all. They have a huge work drive, most are in tact males, and they do not work for treats. There reward is their toy which they will proceed to take their remaining aggression out on.

So for this reason, for port or airport purposes, I would be shocked if a patrol dog cross trained for another use would be anywhere near passengers. Way to risky - it is a rare patrol K9 that can be petted by anyone but his handler or the other trainers. But I assure you they are there behind the scenes. They work at USPS and UPS every day as well.

The dogs that you will see at the airport (usually narcotics) or at ports of call (agricultural) are quite the opposite and people friendly. They have "passive" as opposed to "aggressive alerts" and can be placed in the middle of the crowd.

They are more and more common as these K9s are excellent law enforcement tools. In the last year I have personally seen them at MCO (narcotics - watched him flag a young man's carryon) and agricultural dogs in Grand Turk and Cozumel (if memory serves).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My agency has two dogs that can smell ammunition, and I don't think this is unique to wildlife service dogs.

I'll also add that if you wanted to smuggle guns on board for whatever reason you'd use a crew member.

Or just don't put them in the checked luggage.

There are no dogs for the walk on people. Just the scanners which miss lots of things.

Just to set the record straight, dogs can be trained for all kinds of things. Often they are specific to certain tasks like drugs. But with drugs, it's not a general thing. Each dog is trained to its departments policy for whatever substances they want. These drug dogs are often smelling for the common narcotics like marijuana, heroin, cociane etc. If the dog has been trained to find the scent of the specific compound it will. Identify it. These dogs train relentlessly and can smell 30 min or an hour later an area that has been rubbed or been near a particular drug. It doesn't even have to be present at the time of the sniff. Their noses are not wrong.

In addition to drugs dogs can be trained for other purposes like ammunition or agricultural use. Dogs can also be trained as patrol dogs; my friend's now retired K9 partner has been trained to exit the car on command and will return, and open the door and get back in when told to do so. He will take down a bad guy fleeing in a heartbeat and the bad guy will sorely regret his decision because there is always a hospital trip and stitches involved. It's like getting hit by a car when on of these dogs takes a person down.

I would not describe it as play to the dogs at all. They have a huge work drive, most are in tact males, and they do not work for treats. There reward is their toy which they will proceed to take their remaining aggression out on.

So for this reason, for port or airport purposes, I would be shocked if a patrol dog cross trained for another use would be anywhere near passengers. Way to risky - it is a rare patrol K9 that can be petted by anyone but his handler or the other trainers. But I assure you they are there behind the scenes. They work at USPS and UPS every day as well.

The dogs that you will see at the airport (usually narcotics) or at ports of call (agricultural) are quite the opposite and people friendly. They have "passive" as opposed to "aggressive alerts" and can be placed in the middle of the crowd.

They are more and more common as these K9s are excellent law enforcement tools. In the last year I have personally seen them at MCO (narcotics - watched him flag a young man's carryon) and agricultural dogs in Grand Turk and Cozumel (if memory serves).

Actually, some K-9s are given treats after a take down, and depending on the K-9 they can be petted with permission. But, you are right, the individuals are always in need of a hospital visit after

From the Princess Website Under Prohibited Items:

The following items must not be allowed on board without valid lawful reason:

• All firearms including non-firing weapons. An exception to this rule are law enforcement agents acting in an official capacity and certified armed security guards acting in an official capacity (with full permission of the ship’s Master).
  • All forms of ammunition, explosive materials and propellants, projectiles of all kinds, cartridges.
  • All imitation or replica weapons including de-commissioned weapons, those not capable of being fired and realistic imitation/toy weapons.
  • Air/Pellet guns or any other variety of projectile firing weapon.
  • All explosives and explosive device components including but not limited to military, civilian and safety devices, detonators, detonation cords, blasting caps, smoke cartridges, grenades, mines, imitation explosives/devices.

I have yet to see this, while cruising.

Several years ago, Emerald Princess reboarding in Cartagena there was a german shepherd with two men in fatigues flanking the gangway foot. I suspect they were there as much to send a clear message as to interdict illegal substances.

Actually this may be sort of not true. Dogs can sniff out what they are trained to sniff out. It is a game to them. Find the drugs and you get a treat.

Since I would guess that the security people are more worried about drugs and illegal food items, there are probably not a lot of dogs trained to sniff out ammunition.

DON

If you mean food, it's usually not that. They get to play with their favorite toy. ;) At least that's the way it is with dogs working for the cops in the USA.