Life jackets?

phabric

On Princess .. YES .. you still carry (not wear) your life jackets to the muster drill.

Once at the drill, you practice putting them on. Then, you are to remove and strap them back the way they were to take back to your cabin.

The muster drill is inside and fairly painless.

On Princess, you are required to carry your life jacket to the safety drill. If you wear it to the assembly point, they make you wear if for the rest of the cruise. At least that's what the told us :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please keep in mind ....

This is on the PRINCESS Forum ... so the question is about taking life jackets to Princess muster drills. :)

Apologies. Will pay more attention in future.

Princess does it right by having passengers take the life jackets to the muster and the put them on at the end.

Based on how many do not do it correctly after the demo, it is important that the staff help them do it the right way and possibly save lives if there is a real emergency.

The cruise lines that do not do it the Princess way will have numerous passengers with absolutely no knowledge of how to don the life jackets in an emergency. My experience on those lines, where you stand outside for the muster no matter what the weather, is that most people cannot see through the people in front of them and thus do not even see the demo.

Princess does it right by having passengers take the life jackets to the muster and the put them on at the end.

Based on how many do not do it correctly after the demo, it is important that the staff help them do it the right way and possibly save lives if there is a real emergency.

The cruise lines that do not do it the Princess way will have numerous passengers with absolutely no knowledge of how to don the life jackets in an emergency. My experience on those lines, where you stand outside for the muster no matter what the weather, is that most people cannot see through the people in front of them and thus do not even see the demo.

I disagree.. we cruise many lines. do not see the value in carrying the jacket to the life boat drill. I do carry it because required, do try on... been there, done that way too many times.

I disagree.. we cruise many lines. do not see the value in carrying the jacket to the life boat drill. I do carry it because required, do try on... been there, done that way too many times.

Same here. I see no value in practicing to try it on other than to see if there's any problem with the jacket itself. Some people just forget from cruise to cruise & need the practice. ;)

I just got off the Radiance of the Seas last week. No life jackets were brought to the muster drill. The drill is required, however. I was on the Allure in January. No life jacket was required. I was on MSC Divina last year. No life jacket was required.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Same here. I see no value in practicing to try it on other than to see if there's any problem with the jacket itself. Some people just forget from cruise to cruise & need the practice. ;)

And if you don't put it on at the drill, then you can't take a selfie in it ;)

Same here. I see no value in practicing to try it on other than to see if there's any problem with the jacket itself.

I agree. Putting it on once isn't practice. It is only "trying it on". To be worthwhile a passenger should actually repeat putting it on over and over again, which would require doing it as many times as necessary to be able to do it without thinking about it. I doubt that many people in an emergency would remember what they did at the muster drill days ago. Fortunately, today's life jackets are not difficult to figure out. Besides, unless the ship was going to sink in a couple of minutes, people will have plenty of time to either figure it out or have someone show them how to put it on.

I agree. Putting it on once isn't practice. It is only "trying it on". To be worthwhile a passenger should actually repeat putting it on over and over again, which would require doing it as many times as necessary to be able to do it without thinking about it. I doubt that many people in an emergency would remember what they did at the muster drill days ago. Fortunately, today's life jackets are not difficult to figure out. Besides, unless the ship was going to sink in a couple of minutes, people will have plenty of time to either figure it out or have someone show them how to put it on.

For some people that is not the case as even right after the demo at the muster they need assistance from the crew to do it correctly.