Another tipping question. Ultimate dinning package.

pjewell910

Ok here is my question. We have the ultimate dinning packing which we already paid 18% gratuity on. Now with the being said when the bill come with the tip box in it whats the proper amount of tip without going overboard. I had a friend that told me 20 dollars a couple which I thought was a tad overboard but maybe I am wrong.

Ok here is my question. We have the ultimate dinning packing which we already paid 18% gratuity on. Now with the being said when the bill come with the tip box in it whats the proper amount of tip without going overboard. I had a friend that told me 20 dollars a couple which I thought was a tad overboard but maybe I am wrong.

Well it seems to me you've already tipped twice, why not tip yet again.

But it's up to you.

Conversely, unless there's something spectacular in the service (or something that's 'extra'), I sign the slip as-is.

NCL's approach is that they take care of the gratuity, so you don't have to.

That said, if you want to recognize somebody in particular, feel free.

Stephen

I think I understand the dilemma. To quote NCL, it's a: "18% gratuity and specialty service charge." So, how much does the server actually get as a gratuity vs the service charge that supposedly is distributed among various staff & crew? If you assume the server gets 10% (strictly a guess on my part) then on a 3 day UDP they're getting $3.30 per person. We usually figure how much we would be tipping for a similar meal on land and add the difference.

I think I understand the dilemma. To quote NCL, it's a: "18% gratuity and specialty service charge." So, how much does the server actually get as a gratuity vs the service charge that supposedly is distributed among various staff & crew? If you assume the server gets 10% (strictly a guess on my part) then on a 3 day UDP they're getting $3.30 per person. We usually figure how much we would be tipping for a similar meal on land and add the difference.

Even on land, the servers do not keep 100% of their tips. A portion is distributed to the hosts and cooks, etc.

Even on land, the servers do not keep 100% of their tips. A portion is distributed to the hosts and cooks, etc.

Not cooks, typically. Usually service bartenders, bussers, runners. Sometimes (but not typically) dishwashers and hosts. Minor point, I know.

For OP, we, too, usually just sign dining package as $0 -- good service, fast drinks, etc, will see about $5 or so. This is one area where you really have already tipped twice (DSC and SDP 18%)

If you are assuming that NCL takes a 44.4% rake (8% divided by the 18% service charge, shouldn't you assume that they're siphoning off 44.4% of your add-on tip on the slip? You'll need to give a 36% (20% divided by .556) tip so your servers get 20%. You'll need to tip 45% if you want to get to a 25% tip for the server. The only real way to circumvent this is to bring cash and make it rain.

In all seriousness though, I believe that the 18% autograt is designed to take the worry out of the process.

If you are assuming that NCL takes a 44.4% rake (8% divided by the 18% service charge, shouldn't you assume that they're siphoning off 44.4% of your add-on tip on the slip? You'll need to give a 36% (20% divided by .556) tip so your servers get 20%. You'll need to tip 45% if you want to get to a 25% tip for the server. The only real way to circumvent this is to bring cash and make it rain.

In all seriousness though, I believe that the 18% autograt is designed to take the worry out of the process.

I sure hope so, because there's no way i'm going to be dividing percentages after 9 hours of day drinking.

I'd give about 2% more...there are no "prices" to do a percentage.....just give $5 or so...that should be ample. Remember that the "fee" is for ambiance..the cost of the food is in your fare!

We don't take our first NCL cruise until the Escape in the fall, but all the specialty menus I've seen posted have prices. From a practical standpoint, I just figured that we'd give a certain number of dollars in cash so that we'd be giving our usual 20% - 25% tip. (More if service is amazing.)

we usually will slip our favorite bartender some money either at the end, or sometimes periodically thruout the week.

but tipping is completely optional. between teh 18% gratuity charge and the daily service charge, a cruise is designed to be completely cashless. the hardworking crew do appreciate it when they get extra, but it is not required.

There is not need to leave anything at all. NCL uses a different salary structure than most cruise lines and gratuities are neither expected nor required. If you want to leave something than $5 for a couple is more than enough.

They are paid a livable salary, it does not matter how much if any they get of the service charge. They likely get none of it.

FWIW, when I went to add something to the little tip box because of an incredible server who went out of her way, she said not to bother. She said anything added to the bill goes into the pool with the DSC and therefore she would see 1/985th of the amount I was gonna leave. In this case that would have been a penny. ($10/958 = $.0104). Thereafter, I have never used the tip box, instead we bring a stash of $1s and $5s and a couple of $10s and $20s. The $20s go to the cabin steward, the $10s are there just in case we get incredible service and the $1s to to bartenders and the $5s go to servers if the service is above the standard ....usually tip the bartender that is working my favorite bar a fiver the first time and last time there.

as always, YMMV.

Bottom line is decide what YOU want to give and give that amount.

Just my humble opinion....

I think that when UBP/SDP tipping threads pop up, the OP usually already knows how much they plan on leaving for a tip. The OP is usually looking to see if that amount is considered low, average, or high.

If everyone answered "...leave $200 per person per day...", the OP would ignore the posts and give whatever amount that they had originally planned, anyway.

DH and I did the British isle cruise this past May. We were given the drink package as a perk (paid the "tip) and we purchased separate the dining package paid the "tip"

After much debate we felt for the food package we had tipped enough and did not leave extra but we did tip the bartender/ servers of the were prompt and attentive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums