RC vs. Carnival

Obviously you will find an opinion for whatever people perceive to be better, according to their experience or just from what they've heard. My first couple of cruises were on Royal Caribbean and I thought that nothing would compare. Then I took a cruise with some friends on Norwegian and my last few have been on Carnival. We have another one booked on RC for December and are really looking forward to it. I have been on both Rhapsody and Sunshine and enjoyed both of them for different reasons. A vacation is what you make of it. I was worried about the Sunshine b/c I read so many negative reviews...but it was fantastic! The comparison that Carnival cruisers are like Walmart people is not completely accurate. I've met great people on all the cruise lines I've been on and also seen rude and disrespectful people on those same lines. So keep an open mind and enjoy whichever one you choose!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What a great attitude! Enjoyed reading your post.

I was interested in this thread because I'm going on my first Carnival cruise in October after many cruises on RCL on ships ranging in size from the old Monarch to Freedom OTS. The Carnival ship will be the Magic and I'm interested in any comments on the differences I would find between that ship and a typical RCL ship. I keep seeing a lot of references to Carnival's Sunshine and that doesn't help me a lot with Magic.

For example, how does Carnival's MDR food compare to RCL's? I know that can be subjective, but to me RCL's MDR food is generally about the same as the usual restaurants I do to on a regular basis. Once in a while I'll get something that's really, really good but mostly it's just average. And the buffett is OK but boring. By the end of a week-long cruise on RCL I'm usually pretty tired of the food and I'm hoping to enjoy Carnival's more.

I've heard Carnival's other dining options are free where RCL charges for them. Is that true on Magic? I've never eaten in any of RCLs specialty restaurants because I didn't want to pay the extra money (although on my last cruise I almost ate at one because we signed up for the murder mystery but then it got cancelled so we didn't go). I did eat in a Johnny Rockets once because the grandkids wanted the "free" milkshakes and I thought it was slow and too expensive for what we got. Keep in mind I'm not a cheapskate by any means but I don't like to spend money and then decide it wasn't worth it.

What about the cabins? RCL has 2 outlets at the desk plus what was in the bathroom and that was plenty for our needs. We'll be in a balcony (room 8409) and I'm hoping there is as much storage as RCL has. That's one thing I definitely like about the RCL cabins - I never have problems with storage. Will the Magic's furniture arrangement allow for easy moving around the cabin, or is the bed up against the wall? And do we have to put our room key in the slot to keep the lights on in the room?

Any other comparisons I'm forgetting? We aren't big-time drinkers so one bar is as good as another to us. We also don't soak up the sun by the pool so don't care too much about that. We do go to a few shows if we're in the mood.

Oh - one more thing. Are the elevators on Magic really crowded? I have bad knees and can't take the stairs (unless the ship's on fire or something and then I think I could handle it). Most of RCL's ships with the exception of the oldest ones like Majesty have enough elevators so you can almost always get on with little waiting. How are Magic's?

Thanks!

I've been on the Magic and just went on our first RCI cruise. I wrote up a review that explained what I thought were the Pros & Cons for RCI, having only been on Carnival in the past. To answer a few of your questions...

The food was pretty comparable to us. They each have things that seem to be done better. I'm not a big foodie, I realize others have bigger opinions on this. Give me a good chicken dish, some potatoes and good rolls, I'm set! LOL! I felt that the RCI menus were basically the same stuff every night, there was also a cold soup (which our son loves), always a special seafood type thing, etc..

Carnival doesn't charge for their specialty things like Blue Iguanas or Guy's, but it does still charge for the steakhouse and Italian restaurant (for dinner, not lunch though). We've never done the steakhouses on any ship - we live in a large city, plenty of steakhouses here with better food I'm guessing.

We felt the layout of RCI cabins was a little roomier. There was space to put the little coffee table between our bed and the balcony door, and still closing the curtains. It was nice to have the table out of the way. And yes, 2 outlets at the desk which is nice. We would like more on Carnival since we have 3 phones & 2 iPads to usually charge. ;)

We thought the elevators on RCI were very slow and would often seem to skip the floors. We didn't seem to have that problem on the Magic. Plus, depending on where you are, they have the 4 main elevators right next to the 3 atrium ones, so that was always plenty.

You can find all my pros & cons here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2526532

OP, you should post your question on the Carnival board as well, so you can get additional informed opinions.

If the OP did that I would be surprised if the responses were as snobbish as some of these.

I've sailed both cruise lines and have found positives on both, and negatives on both. They both have more in common than they have differences.

The biggest difference I've experienced is the vocalness of the Loyal Royals

If the OP did that I would be surprised if the responses were as snobbish as some of these.
I am new to Carnival but I have to agree. There seems to be a much more easy-going laid-back attitude embraced by those who follow the Carnival Cruise Line.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

On two ships of equal size - basically, older smaller Royal ships, I'd actually probably consider Carnival as a better option. At least on our last cruise, the Carnival service was clearly better across the board. I know that varies ship to ship, but it was enough to give Carnival another shot. I found the food pretty similar on both. Carnival does have extra free options like Guys Burgers, Blue Iguana, Pizza Pirate, etc. Their pizza is MUCH better than what Royal serves, as is their burgers. You won't go wrong with Carnival Magic if you are sailing on the smaller ships.

Thank you for everyone's opinion, so I made a decision. Carnival Sunshine Reasons 1) Carnival was cheaper and it was pushing it for us booking two rooms. (Son in college, just grad. Aero Engineering cont. with MBA, only time was New Year wk which is more expensive. ) 2) Thinking about the Iguana Grill, Italian rest. and others that are free at lunch. 3) The Serenity area looks great 4) We were able to get a OV instead of inside.

So I guess I will mingle with Wal Mart /Target people, I do like a good deal lol. But really, I think we will have a great time on any ship. Yes, I do think the food has gone down a notch in the main dinning room over the yrs.. I had to tell my son tonight, when first thing he says is " I can get some Lobster", nope because it cost extra and if I'm going to spend extra then I will do the special rest. But really, I think the main rest. is still nice, and a treat to eat with my family. I expect an awesome time. :)

Thank you for everyone's opinion, so I made a decision. Carnival Sunshine Reasons 1) Carnival was cheaper and it was pushing it for us booking two rooms. (Son in college, just grad. Aero Engineering cont. with MBA, only time was New Year wk which is more expensive. ) 2) Thinking about the Iguana Grill, Italian rest. and others that are free at lunch. 3) The Serenity area looks great 4) We were able to get a OV instead of inside.

So I guess I will mingle with Wal Mart /Target people, I do like a good deal lol. But really, I think we will have a great time on any ship. Yes, I do think the food has gone down a notch in the main dinning room over the yrs.. I had to tell my son tonight, when first thing he says is " I can get some Lobster", nope because it cost extra and if I'm going to spend extra then I will do the special rest. But really, I think the main rest. is still nice, and a treat to eat with my family. I expect an awesome time. :)

Pretty sure we never had lobster on the menu on our RCI cruise. But it's on the menu at least once on Carnival. And sorry, but I'm not a Walmart person, never!! If you expect an awesome time, then you'll have one. For those who expect to be miserable, as other comments allude to, then they'll be miserable. ;)

We also get the "opportunity" to go on our first carnival cruise in november. We have a niece that is getting married onboard the Liberty and 1: I cannot get out of it :(, 2: I really wonder what it will be like. We have been on mostly Royal Cruises and have not heard a lot of great things about carnival, but hopefully they will surprise me.

Well, RCI didn't overly impress me either, I didn't get off going "WOW! That was so worth the extra $2000!" They were pretty even with Carnival, IMO. When we look at the things that we like or didn't like on each line, it was nothing major, nothing that would turn us off either line, but there are certainly things that each line does better. I've said it before, we cruise because of where the ship is going. We do the Caribbean because we like to relax and unwind, we often go with friends and it's cheaper to go that way. We can get our balcony room and enjoy our sunny days. We chose RCI because we wanted to go to Europe and Carnival doesn't go there. And we loved our cruise there. I get it, different boats for different folks, but hopefully you can enjoy your nieces special day! :)

I have never been on a RC cruise before, I have only cruise Carnival. I do, though, have friends who cruise on RC. IMO, and from what I've heard from other people, is that Carnival is cheaper, and more fun. Carnival also has a wide verity of free things to do or "all inclusive" things for you to do, while a lot of the activities on RC cost extra money. I love they way Carnival does their reward program and how easy it is to earn points. I don't know anything about RC reward system so I can't give an opinion on it.

I think if you're looking to stay in budget, and have a fun and exciting cruise, definitely go with Carnival.

What ever cruise you choose, I hope you have a great time!:)

I have never been on a RC cruise before, I have only cruise Carnival. I do, though, have friends who cruise on RC. IMO, and from what I've heard from other people, is that Carnival is cheaper, and more fun. Carnival also has a wide verity of free things to do or "all inclusive" things for you to do, while a lot of the activities on RC cost extra money. I love they way Carnival does their reward program and how easy it is to earn points. I don't know anything about RC reward system so I can't give an opinion on it.

I think if you're looking to stay in budget, and have a fun and exciting cruise, definitely go with Carnival.

What ever cruise you choose, I hope you have a great time!:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Curious which activities are free on Carnival that are extra cost on Royal?

Edited by clarea

I love Royal Caribbean. Especially their Radiance Class ships. My Father and I have bern on the Voyageir Clasd too but the Setenade our very first cruise was amazing.

I love sitting on the Windjammer patio having my morning coffee and pastry

Who needs a balcony?

We love the food and we even had a head waiter who remembered us from a precious cruise who took such good care of us on our second cruise with them. He would come by every night to talk with us.

I also love the entertainment in the theater and clubs. The Schooner Bar and Pub are my nightly hangout spots.

The Solarium is better than the for charge adult area on Princess. I go there to relax and enjoy nbreakfast and lunch at Park Cafe.

I have given feedback and even got a reply from Mr.Goldstein and his administrative staff have been the reason we are Emerald going on Diamond.

Its hard to leave Royal.

I have cruised two times on Carnival Pride and had a great experience never had a problem. I like RCL also just booked a 2018 cruise on Adventure of the Seas same Celebrity Cruise Lines was on the Summit last year top notch service. I looked at the reviews for the Pride before we went and am glad imdid not listen to them because we had rwo great cruises to Hrand Turk on her and will go again to Hrand Turk on her. We have cruised 3 times on RCL and think they are top notch also. When on a cruise I overlook minor stuff and enjoy the ride.

We also get the "opportunity" to go on our first carnival cruise in november. We have a niece that is getting married onboard the Liberty and 1: I cannot get out of it :(, 2: I really wonder what it will be like. We have been on mostly Royal Cruises and have not heard a lot of great things about carnival, but hopefully they will surprise me.

You are on the wrong forum, lol. Head over to Carnival and it's "I'd consider Royal, but I hear so many bad things about them."

Carnival is no more "Wal-Mart" than RCCL. The only thing Carnival is lacking is the mega ships and the "wow" experience that comes along with it. Their entertainment is a bit lacking as well. Besides that, they have some things that are better. Their service is generally outstanding - if not better than Royal and a majority seem to think the complimentary food on Carnival edges Royal. We found the guests on board to be essentially the same between Royal and Carnival as well. All major cruise lines offer a VERY high level of hospitality and they are much more similar than they are different.

Carnival also visits Grand Turk and HMC - which are simply outstanding. So you get ports that Royal doesn't visit as well. We'll definitely sail Carnival again in the coming years. We prefer Oasis class and we are also trying out NCL next year, but I would have no problem sailing again on a Carnival itinerary. The fact that it's often so much cheaper is just icing on the cake.

Never had a bad time the 5 cruises I went on Carnival. Having said that, had a great time on the one Royal cruise I've been on. Wife prefers Royal now so I'll be going with her but I wouldn't hesitate to get back on a Carnival ship.

Last week someone tagged me with regard to the matter of homeports, and they made a good point. Royal Caribbean embarks from 11 ports in the continental US, while Carnival embarks from 14. However, dig deeper into those numbers and you see an even bigger difference for those of us who live in the South, with Carnival serving Norfolk, Charleston, and Mobile, as well as Galveston, New Orleans and the Floridian cruise ports, which both cruise lines serve well. (And to be fair, Jacksonville is another bonus port, serving folks in Southern Georgia and South Carolina with a Carnival port many can reach in less than three hours.)

I've been on multiple cruises on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I like Carnival. I got married on the Carnival Pride. It tops the list as best cruise, but it disqualifies itself because of the special occasion.

why did I choose Carnival? Well, I wanted more of a "fun" atmosphere on Carnival for my wedding. I got it. Also, the wedding department for Royal Caribbean was unhelpful and required me to commit, before they would give me any information.

Regardless, I love Royal Caribbean, and if you take out my wedding cruise, Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the seas managed to top best cruise on my list, beating out Independence, Anthem and Jewel. Jewel of the Seas, also unfortunately, stands as my worst cruise ever.

Each cruise is unique. You will get a different passenger base, different crew, different activities staff, on every cruise. My perception is that Royal Caribbean tries to wow you with their ships. Rock walls, Ice Skating rinks, specialized theaters, specialized broadway shows, Ifly, North Star, Bumper Cars, Ziplining, etc etc etc. You can't be bored on a Royal Caribbean ship. However, given all these activities, I have found that their cruise director and activities staff is less energetic than Carnival. Carnival, may not have nearly the same bells and whistles as Royal Caribbean, but that's not their niche. Their niche is their passenger base. They like to rile you up. They want you up and out and about. They want to make you feel like you belong. That kind of crowd pleasing, makes you feel warm and wanted. The result, is a high energy, "fun" cruise. You go to a theme party on Royal Caribbean, its a little hit or miss sometimes, but on a Carnival ship, it feels like everyone is involved.

So depending on your personality, you may favor one over the other. I like to think that if you're an extrovert, you would enjoy yourself more on Carnival than Royal Caribbean, but introverts would feel more at home on Royal Caribbean. In my opinion, neither is better or worse. Its just what you prefer on a vacation.

How would you know? You've never set foot on a Carnival ship. It's so endless annoying to see this type of comment from someone who hasn't a clue.

Carnival isn't bad and I'd urge you to give the line a try. I love the pizza and Guy's burgers on Carnival ships. The entertainment is pretty bland, but you can find some good bands in the evenings.

I'm glad I've begun trying as many lines as I can. Everything seems so new and surprising when I step on a ship for the first time. New menus, new entertainment, new ships, new everything.

Don't let the "Walmart of the Seas" sway you. Carnival is a great line for people who have never tried cruising before. You'll see families, family reunions, weddings, honeymoons, retirees, LGBT couples, everyone. I suspect you'll be on a 7-day cruise which will have less of a party atmosphere and more of a vacation atmosphere. Just go and enjoy a new experience for you and yours. Have fun at the ports. Try some of the Didja Ever... menu items in the MDR.

Then report back!

And how would you know that I haven't? Just because I dont list cruises that I was disappointed in in my profile?

Did you ever hear what happens when you "assume"?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is a reason that Carnival is known as the Walmart of cruises; avoid at all cost.

I really take offense to this post. I am a professional cost accountant and I could cruise any line I want. Most of my cruises have been on Carnival. Why? Better food, larger rooms, better service, better comedy shows and better itineraries. I give the nod of aesthetics to Royal and also better shows. I don't ice skate, don't care to rock climb or flow ride. Why should I pay more for these things I don't do? I am not interested in the mega ships - I don't want to feel like I am at a mall. I'd rather go on outer decks and see water all around me and not merry-go-rounds, etc. In the past, I have worked a part time job selling cruises, and I know for a fact the demographics between the cruise lines are virtually identical. My sleepiest cruise was on a Carnival ship - the Miracle. The stupid old adage of "party ship" which people continue to propagate, is not true. The short itineraries on all lines tend to have more of the drinking crowd - probably due to the fact a 7 day cruise is not in their budget.

I wouldn't tell people to stay away from Carnival. There is a ship and a cruise line for everyone, and it depends on many factors - your budget, the itinerary and what you want to do on a ship.

This all being said, I am going on Freedom of the Seas from San Juan in July 2018 and I am really looking forward to it!

9k=

I really take offense to this post. I am a professional cost accountant and I could cruise any line I want. Most of my cruises have been on Carnival. Why? Better food, larger rooms, better service, better comedy shows and better itineraries. I give the nod of aesthetics to Royal and also better shows. I don't ice skate, don't care to rock climb or flow ride. Why should I pay more for these things I don't do? I am not interested in the mega ships - I don't want to feel like I am at a mall. I'd rather go on outer decks and see water all around me and not merry-go-rounds, etc. In the past, I have worked a part time job selling cruises, and I know for a fact the demographics between the cruise lines are virtually identical. My sleepiest cruise was on a Carnival ship - the Miracle. The stupid old adage of "party ship" which people continue to propagate, is not true. The short itineraries on all lines tend to have more of the drinking crowd - probably due to the fact a 7 day cruise is not in their budget.

I wouldn't tell people to stay away from Carnival. There is a ship and a cruise line for everyone, and it depends on many factors - your budget, the itinerary and what you want to do on a ship.

This all being said, I am going on Freedom of the Seas from San Juan in July 2018 and I am really looking forward to it!

9k=

Sorry that you take offense that I expressed my opinion. I thought this forum was all about expressing experiences and opinions.

I have sailed both lines. Here is my personal opinion.

Food: RCI had better tasting food while Carnival had more options.

Entertainment: Very similar for both, liked RCI shows better.

Cleanliness: Very very disappinted in RCI. Carnival never had any complaints this far.

Cabins: I stayed in inside on both lines. RCI was smaller and felt more cramped.

As far as class of people... I always read people saying RCI has a higher class of people and Carnival is a party line. My cruise on RCI had the rowdiest and drunkest group of people we ever experienced. That blew that theory right out the window.

I'd sail both again if the price is right and I'm sure have a great time because I believe your vaca is what you make it. 😊