RC vs. Carnival

After one Disney cruise and seven Carnival cruises we are about to try RCI next month. I am curious to know the difference since RCI costs a tad more than Carnival. We have been very pleased with what we get on Carnival. And we can afford a more expensive cruise...we just like Carnival. We shall soon see what the differences are and maybe I will post a comparison review.

After one Disney cruise and seven Carnival cruises we are about to try RCI next month. I am curious to know the difference since RCI costs a tad more than Carnival. We have been very pleased with what we get on Carnival. And we can afford a more expensive cruise...we just like Carnival. We shall soon see what the differences are and maybe I will post a comparison review.

What I've noticed from reading reviews and comments is if one places a high value on quality hamburgers near the pool, they will usually like Carnival better.

Been on both lines. I am in the minority I like the food in CCL better also the Lido is more appetizing than the windjammer.

Shows on RCI are better with the exception of the X rated Quest.

CCL cabins much bigger.

Was on the new Vista in November. Was a bit disappointed liked the IOS but hated the mall feel of the promenade.

Trying HAL in a few months basically for the itinerary.

Both lines are basically the same.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forums mobile app

What I've noticed from reading reviews and comments is if one places a high value on quality hamburgers near the pool, they will usually like Carnival better.

:D sounds about right. We don't do the pool on cruises but we do like an occasional Guys burger. They aren't ALL that but good for a quick lunch once or twice a cruise. But there is a contingent that loves to be at the pool and walk up in swimsuit to pile burgers and fries on a plate.

I like choices...wok, guys, burritos, BBQ, fish and chips, sandwiches or pizza and even going to MDR for lunch. What will we have on the Majesty, for lunch choices?

Thank you for everyone's opinion, so I made a decision. Carnival Sunshine Reasons 1) Carnival was cheaper and it was pushing it for us booking two rooms. (Son in college, just grad. Aero Engineering cont. with MBA, only time was New Year wk which is more expensive. ) 2) Thinking about the Iguana Grill, Italian rest. and others that are free at lunch. 3) The Serenity area looks great 4) We were able to get a OV instead of inside.

So I guess I will mingle with Wal Mart /Target people, I do like a good deal lol. But really, I think we will have a great time on any ship. Yes, I do think the food has gone down a notch in the main dinning room over the yrs.. I had to tell my son tonight, when first thing he says is " I can get some Lobster", nope because it cost extra and if I'm going to spend extra then I will do the special rest. But really, I think the main rest. is still nice, and a treat to eat with my family. I expect an awesome time. :)

1. Try JiJi's for dinner - its $15 per person and it is - by far - the best specialty restaurant on any ship that we've tried.

2. If your cruise is 6 nights or more (and I think the New Year's cruise on the Sunshine is a 7 night), then yes, you'll have lobster tails in the MDR. They will be served on the first Elegant night and are included in your cruise fare. It's only on 5 nights or less that Carnival doesn't have the Lobster tails (and I'm not sure Royal does on it's short cruises either).

:D sounds about right. We don't do the pool on cruises but we do like an occasional Guys burger. They aren't ALL that but good for a quick lunch once or twice a cruise. But there is a contingent that loves to be at the pool and walk up in swimsuit to pile burgers and fries on a plate.

I like choices...wok, guys, burritos, BBQ, fish and chips, sandwiches or pizza and even going to MDR for lunch. What will we have on the Majesty, for lunch choices?

Lunch on Majesty: Windhammer, Compass Deli (until they make it Chops), Sorrento's, Johnny Rockets ($). Add MDR if a sea day. Sometimes they offer a BBQ buffet around the pool.

It's only on 5 nights or less that Carnival doesn't have the Lobster tails (and I'm not sure Royal does on it's short cruises either).

Is this new? We have done several 3 to 5 day cruises on Carnival and always had lobster and prime rib night...formal night, night 2. But we haven't been on short Carnival cruise since 2013.

Is this new? We have done several 3 to 5 day cruises on Carnival and always had lobster and prime rib night...formal night, night 2. But we haven't been on short Carnival cruise since 2013.

"Carnival Pulls Free Lobster From Short Cruises, Adds New Formal Night Menu Items"

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6534

"Carnival Pulls Free Lobster From Short Cruises, Adds New Formal Night Menu Items"

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6534

Thanks. I missed this info since we skipped a couple years cruising and then when we returned, last AUG, we did a seven nighter. I think it makes sense but I bet the Carnival boards blew up back in 2015.

We generally sail Carnival because of price and our status onboard (we're platinum). However I have sailed four different cruise lines and over 20 cruise and I must confess that I have never been on a bad cruise. Some were better than others and every cruise line has it good, better, and best over other lines. I have even sailed two different ships on the same line and noticed differences in service, attitude, cleaniess, etc. Each cruise line has its own policies and standards but to say every ship/crew on a particular line is the same is like saying every person is the same. I've learned to embrace the good on every ship and work around the not so good. To me a day onboard a cruise ship is always better than a day in the hospital

Edited by tman77064

Been on both lines. I am in the minority I like the food in CCL better also the Lido is more appetizing than the windjammer.

Shows on RCI are better with the exception of the X rated Quest.

CCL cabins much bigger.

Was on the new Vista in November. Was a bit disappointed liked the IOS but hated the mall feel of the promenade.

Trying HAL in a few months basically for the itinerary.

Both lines are basically the same.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forums mobile app

Quest is totally dependent on how good your Cruise Director was. I went to quest on Anthem and Grandeur in February, and it was kind of lame and almost identical.

Quest on the Grandeur, two weeks ago was not the same and pretty hilarious. It depends on your CD's personality and creativity.

Quest is totally dependent on how good your Cruise Director was. I went to quest on Anthem and Grandeur in February, and it was kind of lame and almost identical.

Quest on the Grandeur, two weeks ago was not the same and pretty hilarious. It depends on your CD's personality and creativity.

I think the crowd probably makes a huge difference as well.

If the OP did that I would be surprised if the responses were as snobbish as some of these.

I've sailed both cruise lines and have found positives on both, and negatives on both. They both have more in common than they have differences.

The biggest difference I've experienced is the vocalness of the Loyal Royals

I agree %100 with your post. Now for my two cents. Although, I think RCI has a very, very slight edge, I also think in the last 10 years it has declined more than any other line. I also think Carnival has improved the most. I feel the dining options (for free) blow away RCI and I feel it is a far greater value. With that said, my next two cruises are booked with RCI mainly because Carnival is currently not in Europe.

There is a reason that Carnival is known as the Walmart of cruises; avoid at all cost.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always get a big chuckle out of this...it is really just SO old and cliche.

Walmart is a budget store and Carnival is a budget cruise line. For first time cruisers and families, it's a great fit for those just starting to dip their foot into cruising.

I am a solo traveler, and Carnival enabled me to take 2 of their ships to Australia and spend 33 days on the Vista in the Med (and TA). 175 days on a Carnival ship, and I don't have one single complaint.

I sailed RCI in the 90's and will become Diamond in Dec. I have 5 RCI cruises booked because I want new itineraries. I don't have any complaints on any of my RCI cruises.

But when I see comments like the one from this poster, no wonder my friends I've met on Carnival don't want to sail RCI because they think it's full of snobs.

I agree %100 with your post. Now for my two cents. Although, I think RCI has a very, very slight edge, I also think in the last 10 years it has declined more than any other line. I also think Carnival has improved the most. I feel the dining options (for free) blow away RCI and I feel it is a far greater value.

Spot on, I couldn't agree more. We too are booked on RCI LIberty of the Seas for our next cruise, just so the RCI "snobs" don't think this is biased.

Diamond Plus on RCI, Platinum on Carnival, and I like both lines about equally. Neither one is a premium line. I get tired of the pretentiousness of the RCI fanatics, but Carnival has their blinded by the light cheerleaders too. As for the Walmart comments about Carnival....so if you can buy X product at Walmart cheaper than you can at Target, do you still buy it at Target because it makes you feel more noble and worldly?

...so if you can buy X product at Walmart cheaper than you can at Target, do you still buy it at Target because it makes you feel more noble and worldly?

No, simply because their hatred of Walmrt is higher than their regard for their wallet.

I always get a big chuckle out of this...it is really just SO old and cliche.

Walmart is a budget store and Carnival is a budget cruise line. For first time cruisers and families, it's a great fit for those just starting to dip their foot into cruising.

I am a solo traveler, and Carnival enabled me to take 2 of their ships to Australia and spend 33 days on the Vista in the Med (and TA). 175 days on a Carnival ship, and I don't have one single complaint.

I sailed RCI in the 90's and will become Diamond in Dec. I have 5 RCI cruises booked because I want new itineraries. I don't have any complaints on any of my RCI cruises.

But when I see comments like the one from this poster, no wonder my friends I've met on Carnival don't want to sail RCI because they think it's full of snobs.

For 33 nights on Vista, weren't the same 4 shows repeated 4-5 times over 33 nights?