All Things Jewel of the Seas

BillOh

Hi! Long time cruiser here but new to RC.  Doing the TA to Rome on March 29, 2019.

I was wondering about restaurants. MDR, buffet, snacks in solarium ... is there a venue near the pools offering burgers, pizza, etc? Do they do any midnight buffets or theme buffets during lunch? Afternoon tea?  Also are the hot tubs actually hot? It seems every hot tub on every ship has lukewarm water. Are movies offered poolside everyday? TIA!

On 6/4/2018 at 10:19 AM, cruise1600 said:

Hello, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right spot! So my apologies if I'm in the wrong place. We are looking at the Jewel from Miami to Southern Caribbean in February. This is my first time on a smaller ship as I've generally been on the Freedom Class. I'm a bit concerned about a smaller ship and that I might really feel the movement. Can anyone provide some feedback? Also, any feedback on deck 9 midship to mid/aft oceanview balcony with respect to location? TIA 😄

When we were all the way aft on the Radiance (#1100 sister to Jewel), the only time we felt movement was when the ship was moving into port and using the thrusters.  Then we could really feel it but it never lasted longer than 20 mins.  We found it to be a really stable class of ship.

@Thorswife59 .

I don't know how often responses come, so I will offer mine!

"is there a venue near the pools offering burgers, pizza, etc?"

"Do they do any midnight buffets or theme buffets during lunch?"

"Afternoon tea? "

"Also are the hot tubs actually hot? It seems every hot tub on every ship has lukewarm water. "

"Are movies offered poolside everyday? TIA!"- I DID see a poolside movie, but I'm not sure how often they happened. My adult daughter stayed.

i've only done four cruises, all Meditteranean, and I'll be honest. I probably can't help, because I've never done most of those things.

We chose Jewel because of the itinerary, and I was very satisfied.  The travel between was fine. 

Edited by shrinkrap
Oh yeah.

Currently on Jewel TA, the ship is in great shape, this class of ship is our favourite so we're enjoying it. 

Just woken up on our third sea day on the revised itinerary and the ship is rocking and rolling a bit in our corner aft cabin! We do have 4 m seas though so to be expected. The captain said today will probably be the roughest, tomorrow we are in the Canaries and then hopefully calmer for the crossing proper.

Food in MDR has been good so far, Chops was OK, will try Giovannis later in the cruise. Haven't even been in Windjammer yet, we're going to try it for breakfast in a while.

Julie

Enjoy the Jewel - and "hold on" during the rocking and rolling."

Who is the captain? Who is the hotel director?

(The info on some of the senior officers, if you don't have it, is usually with the documents , cruise compass, near guest services.) 

Thanks.

14 hours ago, Thorswife59 said:

Hi! Long time cruiser here but new to RC.  Doing the TA to Rome on March 29, 2019.

I was wondering about restaurants. MDR, buffet, snacks in solarium ... is there a venue near the pools offering burgers, pizza, etc? Do they do any midnight buffets or theme buffets during lunch? Afternoon tea?  Also are the hot tubs actually hot? It seems every hot tub on every ship has lukewarm water. Are movies offered poolside everyday? TIA!

We just completed a 9-night cruise on Jewel to Greece (including two ports in Italy); read my complete - lengthy - review (in my signature below) if you'd like.

We thought the food was very good to excellent; with noted exceptions, we ate in the Main Dinner Room for dinner and the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch (didn't try any of the specialty restaurants).  The snacks in the Solarium were not as good as we'd experienced on Adventure in Alaska, just a few pizza choices, sandwiches (with mayo, ugh) and cookies - and there isn't a promenade of course for other snack-time options.

No midnight buffets, but there are themes for lunch and dinner in the WJ (listed on the Cruise Compass) and you won't want to miss the Chocolate Dessert Buffet!

The Solarium hot-tub was hot ... I'd heard that at least one of the pool's hot-tubs was not.  During the day, there seem to be blooper videos run on the pool's big screen, and movies run at night.

• Like 1

We have just been assigned our guaranteed ocean view room for our March 2019 Sailing to the Panama Canal and was given room 2028 right next to the elevators. Never have stayed on deck 2 before so would like any input on this deck and room location.  Not a fan of our room assignment but have not been able to change

8 hours ago, kernow said:

Currently on Jewel TA, the ship is in great shape, this class of ship is our favourite so we're enjoying it. 

Just woken up on our third sea day on the revised itinerary and the ship is rocking and rolling a bit in our corner aft cabin! We do have 4 m seas though so to be expected. The captain said today will probably be the roughest, tomorrow we are in the Canaries and then hopefully calmer for the crossing proper.

Food in MDR has been good so far, Chops was OK, will try Giovannis later in the cruise. Haven't even been in Windjammer yet, we're going to try it for breakfast in a while.

Julie

Great description, I almost feel like I am there!:classic_wink:

12 hours ago, shrinkrap said:

@Thorswife59 .

I don't know how often responses come, so I will offer mine!

"is there a venue near the pools offering burgers, pizza, etc?"

"Do they do any midnight buffets or theme buffets during lunch?"

"Afternoon tea? "

"Also are the hot tubs actually hot? It seems every hot tub on every ship has lukewarm water. "

"Are movies offered poolside everyday? TIA!"- I DID see a poolside movie, but I'm not sure how often they happened. My adult daughter stayed.

i've only done four cruises, all Meditteranean, and I'll be honest. I probably can't help, because I've never done most of those things.

We chose Jewel because of the itinerary, and I was very satisfied.  The travel between was fine. 

Thanks for the reply!

2 hours ago, cinesage said:

We just completed a 9-night cruise on Jewel to Greece (including two ports in Italy); read my complete - lengthy - review (in my signature below) if you'd like.

We thought the food was very good to excellent; with noted exceptions, we ate in the Main Dinner Room for dinner and the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch (didn't try any of the specialty restaurants).  The snacks in the Solarium were not as good as we'd experienced on Adventure in Alaska, just a few pizza choices, sandwiches (with mayo, ugh) and cookies - and there isn't a promenade of course for other snack-time options.

No midnight buffets, but there are themes for lunch and dinner in the WJ (listed on the Cruise Compass) and you won't want to miss the Chocolate Dessert Buffet!

The Solarium hot-tub was hot ... I'd heard that at least one of the pool's hot-tubs was not.  During the day, there seem to be blooper videos run on the pool's big screen, and movies run at night.

Thanks for the info! 

3 hours ago, cinesage said:

I'm stumped.  I'm anxious to read your review since our group will be on Jewel for the first time doing the Greek itinerary next May.  But I can't figure out how to access your review since the CC revision!  What am I missing?

Help please.

Susan

14 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

I'm stumped.  I'm anxious to read your review since our group will be on Jewel for the first time doing the Greek itinerary next May.  But I can't figure out how to access your review since the CC revision!  What am I missing?

Help please.

Susan

Thanks for letting me know that the link in my signature (below) didn't work!  I've corrected it.

Just in case that link still doesn't work, try this one - https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=637845

Thanks again.

Cinesage, that WAS an amazing review! For a minute I thought I WAS there! But since there was no mention of our "Medicain", we must of been on the same cruise the week prior. 

There was also talk of Norovirus on our cruise, but for us at least, there was negligible impact. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 12:13 PM, cinesage said:

Thanks for letting me know that the link in my signature (below) didn't work!  I've corrected it.

Just in case that link still doesn't work, try this one - https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=637845

Thanks again.

That was an amazing review.  Thank you so much!   My wife and I are in #1570, so it was nice to see what you wrote about it and what to expect.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 6:51 AM, Beaferd said:

We have just been assigned our guaranteed ocean view room for our March 2019 Sailing to the Panama Canal and was given room 2028 right next to the elevators. Never have stayed on deck 2 before so would like any input on this deck and room location.  Not a fan of our room assignment but have not been able to change

Good to hear you got your cabin assignment.  I am on the cruise before yours and still waiting for my balcony guarantee assignment!

• 2 weeks later...

On embarkation day they have a chops lunch for sale.  Does anybody know if you have the ultimate dining package you go there for lunch on embarkation day?  It just states that you can go and have lunch at a specialty restaurant when at sea.  Since we are not at sea, but Chops is open, I was wondering if we are able to go.  Thanks for information and time.

• 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, The Sunset Glow said:

Someone currently on the Jewel posted on another social media site that the Diamond Lounge is only open for the 3.5 hours in the evening and no 24 hrs access. I really find this hard to believe - is anyone currently on board that can confirm or deny this?

NOT TRUE! 24 hour access (to the espresso machine) and lounge. continental breakfast  items in the morning  - hours vary based on if sea day or port day. evening cocktails and hors ds. if the lounge gets too crowded they open the door to the next door Viking Crown lounge. only time no breakfast is on the last day of cruise. Evening hours for cocktails and hors ds 5-8 or 8:30 but if u have access you can also get the same cocktails as in the D lounge at the bars on board during the D lounge evening hours.

Edited by BEENSAILING

16 minutes ago, BEENSAILING said:

NOT TRUE! 24 hour access (to the espresso machine) and lounge. continental breakfast  items in the morning  - hours vary based on if sea day or port day. evening cocktails and hors ds. if the lounge gets too crowded they open the door to the next door Viking Crown lounge. only time no breakfast is on the last day of cruise. Evening hours for cocktails and hors ds 5-8 or 8:30 but if u have access you can also get the same cocktails as in the D lounge at the bars on board during the D lounge evening hours.

Thank you! Are you on board Jewel right now?

40 minutes ago, The Sunset Glow said:

Thank you! Are you on board Jewel right now?

We have been on the Jewel three times - 2 differnt port European cruises and most recently during Thanksgiving week. Going again over Valentine’s week. Great crew. Romina, currently in Concierge lounge, was in D lounge during our Thanksgiving cruise. We visited her in D lounge as she was our Concierge on the European cruises in the Concierge lounge.

Edited by BEENSAILING

On 11/14/2018 at 2:19 PM, MsYukon said:

Good to hear you got your cabin assignment.  I am on the cruise before yours and still waiting for my balcony guarantee assignment!

We’ve stayed on low decks many times and it’s always my preference because it’s where you feel the least motion.  I’ve been near elevators and never felt like it was a problem.