Chops Restaurant - Poor Food

Morning all,

Just had my first evening meal on Adventure in Chops.

The service from the waiting staff was exceptional. The food was appalling.

I had the Tuna Tartar to start and it was very bland with a load of mashed avocado that tasted weird.

I left most of it and the waiter didn't seem suprised.

For my main I went for the grande seafood tower. (additional $19 surcharge on top of chops entry price).

Worst seafood I've tasted, the crab claws were tasteless - as were the clams, shrimp, mussels and lobster.

I tried one of everything but the last straw was the jumbo shrimp hadn't been deveined.

The sauces that came with the seafood was weird tasting too, taco/Marie rose/tartare (the tartare and Marie rose tasted the same but one was pink and one was white).

I raised the issue that it all tasted bland and as if it was frozen and just left to defrost and the waitress assured me it was all boiled up fresh.

As I had left pretty much the entire meal the waiter kindly knocked 10% off my bill, $1.90 off! Woohoo lol

I tipped the waiter $10...after all he didn't cook that crap.

Giovannis tonight...I hope to god that's better or I'll be on a liquid diet on this vacation.

I have never eaten at chops but we ate at Giovanni's on Oasis back in December of 2014 and it was incredible. We ate there again on Allure and were not very impressed. We were really looking forward to it as it was the best meal we had on Oasis. We may have had too high of expectations the second time I don't know. I love Linguini Carbonara and the stuff they served me was nowhere near what I was expecting.

The couple sitting at the table next to us said it was their fifth time there that trip so I guess it is a matter of opinion.

I would try it again. Like I said we loved it the first time.

For us, Chops is hit an miss...both with service and food. Lately it has been more in the miss range, and getting worse.

So I am another that is probably done going to Chops.

150 CP was just as bad IMHO on Oasis this last time also. Food and service very disappointing.

CK was excellent, and like others, have had good service and food in Giovannis, not sure why it should be so

different.

We were really disappointed with Chops too, luckily we went at lunch and had the adult meals comped by our TA so we just paid for the kids. The service was non-existent and the food was reasonable but didn't really excite us, whereas at Giovanni's the service was excellent and the food was delicious. We probably won't even try Chops again.

Aside from mussels, clams, etc...ALL seafood is previously frozen...thawed, then cooked.

But, Chops is over-rated for the additional you must pay to dine there.

Interesting. So while I was standing next to the man that dropped live, wriggling lobster into the pot last night and served it to me within minutes secretly went back in time and froze the thing first?

And when we go fishing, that fish secretly freezes itself in the live well before we take him out, chop him up and throw him in the pan?

Our favorite sushi chef gets his fresh fish delivery every day from our local port right off the boats.

Interesting. So while I was standing next to the man that dropped live, wriggling lobster into the pot last night and served it to me within minutes secretly went back in time and froze the thing first?

Was this on a cruise ship...

I have found chops either hit or miss, never had a meal as bad as poster, but last few meals on a couple different ships was excellent, not as good as a Ruth Chris but still very good, I do prefer Giovanni's normally

Last night here in Maine.

Soggy rubbery cruise ship lobster...no thanks. ;)

It's no surprise to find fresh seafood in a place known for just that. Local caught and prepared.

I'm surprised the last few years how many cruise lines have been able to get upcharges for seafood, some farmed or imported, comparable to never frozen local catch.

Chops solidly falls into the "just because it costs more doesn't mean it is better" category for me.

We have found that not only does the quality vary from ship to ship but even within the same cruise. We went to Chops on a recent cruise and were so surprised how much it had improved from previous cruises we booked a second night. Needless to say it was a bait and switch as when we went back a few nights later and even ordered some of the same items we had ordered the first visit, the standard in quality was night and day.

It was unbelievable how it could go from so right to so wrong in the space of a few days:(

When we started adding cruising to our vacations way back in 2012....Chops was fantastic!

Last few times.....very disappointing. We've also written off Chops.

Steak at Giovanni's is much better. Not sure why??

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

When we started adding cruising to our vacations way back in 2012....Chops was fantastic!

Last few times.....very disappointing. We've also written off Chops.

Steak at Giovanni's is much better. Not sure why??

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Even way back when, before they changed the menus and Giovanni's was Portofinos, we always found the steak better at Portofinos.

After several poor meals at Chops (food, not service) we avoided it for a couple of years. We tried it again when the FNDR was offered...I figured I could waste the $15pp charge, but were pleasantly surprised. So we have visited Chops a couple of more times since then and find it is just inconsistent. Very disappointing but not at all surprising for Royal Caribbean, which we find consistently inconsistent. Given the hit or miss food here, I would never pay full price for Chops again, only if deeply discounted like the FNDR promotion.

At $49PP on our upcoming Oasis sailing, there's no way I'll ever step foot in Chops. My wife and I can eat at Ruth's Chris and most other top steak houses for less than that PP. Insanity. Especially during shoulder season. Meanwhile Giovanni's is $21PP and has been impeccable each time we've dined there.