No credit card?

My best friend is thrilled because her daughter gifted her and dh a cruise including plane tickets and transfers. Neither my friend or her daughter have ever cruised. The cruise is in a month and she just confided in me that their credit cards are maxed out and they plan to file for bankruptcy. Her daughter lives on the opposite coast and doesn't know. So my froend won't have a credit card to charge on board expenses. She told me they "just won't buy anything on board so they don't need it." As a long time cruiser I know this won't work. Anyone else cruise without a credit card? How will this work?

If she takes cash to cover the amount of the daily gratuity (it was about $93 on my last 7 night cruise in a junior suite, any category above that would be more per night) then I don't see any reason it won't work. Even without buying anything else she will have to pay the gratuity, so as long as she can pay that, it will "work".

If she takes cash to cover the amount of the daily gratuity (it was about $93 on my last 7 night cruise in a junior suite, any category above that would be more per night) then I don't see any reason it won't work. Even without buying anything else she will have to pay the gratuity, so as long as she can pay that, it will "work".

Their gratuities might be prepaid by the daughter. Since she is paying flights and transfers, she might have also taken care of gratuities too. They should check into that before they leave.

Even the gratuities don't have to be paid. Many people remove the gratuities so they can tip directly. The point here is the gratuities can be removed from the sea pass account.

Even the gratuities don't have to be paid. Many people remove the gratuities so they can tip directly. The point here is the gratuities can be removed from the sea pass account.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. So yeah, your friend really can go with no cash, no credit and it will "work"

The point is....they WILL need some money! They do add the gratuities to your bill daily, and if they want to have drinks, then that will cost extra. Included in their fare is ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot) lemonade, milk and juice at breakfast.

If they are planning on getting off the ship in ports, they may want money for bus/cab so they can do something ashore!

You certainly don't NEED a credit card, but they will need to bring some cash!!! (And, by the way, the $93 quoted for gratuities is PER PERSON...just so they know!) That covers cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters, and head waiter. Room service requires a different tip!

The point is....they WILL need some money! They do add the gratuities to your bill daily, and if they want to have drinks, then that will cost extra. Included in their fare is ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot) lemonade, milk and juice at breakfast.

If they are planning on getting off the ship in ports, they may want money for bus/cab so they can do something ashore!

You certainly don't NEED a credit card, but they will need to bring some cash!!! (And, by the way, the $93 quoted for gratuities is PER PERSON...just so they know!) That covers cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters, and head waiter. Room service requires a different tip!

They will also need money for tipping porters etc. This cruise makes no sense to me.:*

They don't NEED any money. Daily gratuities can be removed, and all the tips mentioned are optional. They can actually go on this cruise without taking a cent, as long as they remove the daily gratuities and follow their plan of not buying anything on board (or on land).

Would respectfully suggest that your friend needs to have a long financial talk with her daughter.

She can set up a cash account. However, your friend needs to find out what her daughter has paid for. Gratuities are a part of cruising. She should not stiff the staff. Also, has insurance been included; sounds like she couldn't afford to get sick, or have an accident. Alcoholic drinks and soda are not included.

Personally would not travel without a credit card. At a very minimum she will need some cash for the trip.

My best friend is thrilled because her daughter gifted her and dh a cruise including plane tickets and transfers. Neither my friend or her daughter have ever cruised. The cruise is in a month and she just confided in me that their credit cards are maxed out and they plan to file for bankruptcy. Her daughter lives on the opposite coast and doesn't know. So my froend won't have a credit card to charge on board expenses. She told me they "just won't buy anything on board so they don't need it." As a long time cruiser I know this won't work. Anyone else cruise without a credit card? How will this work?

no one said they had no money, just not credit cards.

I would say that it is implicit in the red words.

Funny, your friend confided in you. Maybe your friend needs to learn about sharing with certain people who post on the Internet with thousands reading:rolleyes:

Of course the business owed money won't be checking social media to see what you have been up to. Oh, you have been on a cruise

Still doesn't mean they have no money. Just means they have less than what they owe. People regularly spend what money they do have on things other than to their creditors.

I've never been in this persons situation, nor do I plan to be. I do not think going on a cruise paid for or not is in their best interests.

They will also need money for tipping porters etc. This cruise makes no sense to me.:*

I guess it's a well intended stress relief, but they may want to present these added needs of money even if the other tipping is avoided. The daughter may get them a prepaid visa/MC they can assign to their onboard account.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

I hope your friend's daughter bought cruise insurance, medical and evacuation.

Her daughter can still buy it for her it just won't include pre-existing conditions.

God forbid she gets hurt on one of the islands and can't continue the cruise.

Please please have your friend check if insurance was paid for by the daughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think your friend should come clean and discuss their situation with her daughter. It will be a way less stressful situation for her if she does. She will need some money, it is never a good idea to travel without some money since so many things can arise.

As far as tips and travel insurance and all the extras, they may well already be covered by her daughter. We are gifting a cruise to my dad and his girlfriend as a birthday/Christmas gift for them and will be covering the gratuities, the planned excursions and travel insurance as well. They can use the onboard credit we are receiving for their cabin however they wish but I am sure they will be bringing some money for spending money. I don't expect them to buy us anything in return though, that kinda take away the whole point of giving a gift.

Wow! I can't believe how judgemental the majority of the responses to this thread are! Just some things to think about.....Just because the credit cards are maxed out, doesn't necessarily make the people irresponsible. There is a very good possibility that the cards may have been used for necessities or just to get through a tough time. Just because someone is filing bankruptcy also doesn't necessarily make them irresponsible or undeserving of a vacation. Who knows what their situation may be? This vacation may be a much needed time away from stresses. Why is it assumed that, just because they don't have credit cards that they can use, that they would not tip? That is a pretty harsh assumption. These people have been blessed with a child who loves them and wants them to have this vacation....quit judging them and let them enjoy their vacation...just like you get to.

• Like 1