Tell me about breakfast :)

Chickenlover8

We will be on Sensation in February and are first time cruisers. My daughter's favorite meal is breakfast :) what options are available besides the buffet?

My advice is avoid the buffet. The MDR will have a much more relaxed start to your day. On port days it will serve a standard table service breakfast with a wide variety of juices, fruit, pastries, cereals, eggs, pancakes etc. On sea day it will run a differ menu for sea day brunch. There are still breakfast items but are more unique like steak and eggs and cereal crusted French toast. A simple search will produce the actual menus.

Oh - and if you like Mexican, and you ship has a blue iquana, you could try them for. Real fast - but that is still "Lido"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you're a coffee drinker like my DH you can put the hang tag out the night before and have coffee delivered in the morning - and some milk or juice for your daughter - to get your day started. Then head to the dining room for breakfast. That's a must with us because I don't want to be around him before coffee hits his system. I don't drink the stuff.

My husband and I pretty much always do the dining room for breakfast. I like being able to eat with different people at the table and talk about what we're up to that day in port, or just eat alone at a table for two with him. I'm not a big buffet fan in general and like the wait staff- plus sometimes it's fun to see your dinner waiter at the breakfast or lunch service.

If you don't want a big breakfast, you can do room service or you can get something small and simple in the dining room. They even offer things like cereal in the dining room.

DH loves going up to the Lido/buffet area early to have a made to order omelet.

I may go later and instead of an omelet get scrambled eggs made with omelet fixings. The buffet also has all sorts of fresh fruit and cereal and morning baked goodies. I don't eat much of the bacon,sausage ,pancakes, waffles there but some folks like them

We go to the MDR on some days for brunch but we don't want to eat with others and we don't always like to wait to be served instead of being able to take what we want from the buffet.

We always start with room service wake up knock around 9, so we are too late for the MDR which stops service at 9. We have coffee, juice, danish and fruit and eat it on the balcony, great way to start the day. We then go to the Lido deck and head to the omelet station and get 3 fresh scrambled eggs. The eggs in the buffet line are kind of funky.

I suggest you try both the MDR and Lido buffet. That way you won't have to wonder if you missed something you might have enjoyed. True, the eggs at least are better in the MDR, but it's nice to sit by a big plate glass window with an ocean view while you have breakfast, so the buffet has its advantages. It's also faster, should you be in a hurry. But try both! Why not?

I knew they have sea day brunch, but I've somehow missed MDR bfast on port days. Dets? Times? All ships? Do u go to your assigned dinner table with same wait staff? Or random seating like brunch?

Yes all ships all port days, even debarkation. Times vary depending on port arrival time but usually runs for 1.5-2 hrs starting as early as 0630 and going as late as 10. It is random seating like brunch and you can request a private table or group setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I knew they have sea day brunch, but I've somehow missed MDR bfast on port days. Dets? Times? All ships? Do u go to your assigned dinner table with same wait staff? Or random seating like brunch?

They will ask if you want to sit by yourself or with others. And than they will seat you.

If eggs are your thing then the MDR for a sit down breakfast may be a good choice for you. Be careful when ordering eggs and go for the over easy/fried type as the other egg dishes are typically made with powdered eggs mixture (ie: scrambled) and are as some say "funky". If you go to the MDR for a sit down/served breakfast and do not want to be at a big table with others then just ask for a private table for your group.

We used to always go the the MDR for breakfast, but last cruise on the conquest we would go up to lido early, around 7:15, and found it to be a relaxing expierence since it was still very quiet, especially on the sea days. We would sit upstairs to where the BBQ is later in the day, and we would be the only people up there for around twenty minutes! If you plan on eating later than say 8:00 though, I agree that the MDR is a better option, just make sure to check what time the MDR opens, as it can differ a little bit day to day.

Sensation was my first cruise, LOVED IT! Still miss all the open air deckspace of the Fantasy class ships compared to the newer ones.

Anyway, yah gotta try the room service cont. breakfast at least one day. And, the MDR by far serves the best breakfast with the Eggs Benedict and Filet + eggs. But, for convenience sake, we usually find ourselves in the buffet for breakfast. Enjoy your first cruise!

I love breakfast on the cruise ships!!

I'm sure you'll figure it out. Each day is different and im sure she'll try all the options.

Exactly! I would never (nor do I think anyone else would) form eating habits/preferences totally, based on the internet posts of strangers. Yes, try all the options and see what best suits you. That's the way to go.

Breakfast at the Lido buffet is better than in the MDR. It's nice to have a seat and enjoy juice and coffee while not having to wait for your omelets, hash browns, bacon, toast, fruit, etc. to arrive.

LOL, that made me giggle.

I like both MDR and buffet...just depends on my mood and my schedule. I agree with the above posters that if you like scrambled or fried eggs, then definitely get them at the omelette station so they are freshly made and not powdered. The Dr Suess breakfast is a lot of fun and good food. I even liked the steak and eggs there better than the sea day brunch steak and eggs. I admit that I have young children...but there were several tables with just teenage kids or no kids at all.