Buffet line etiquette?

To me, it would have been acceptable to take a piece or two of watermelon from the tray at her table. Tongs optional.

Yes, and tell her thank you so much..........I don't have to walk as far...........while taking some watermelon from her table.:*

And ask her politely if she'd mind getting you some pineapple.

So, if munching on food while waiting In the buffet line is not acceptable, I would guess picking up and putting back on the plate food one dropped on the floor would also be frowned upon? Despite the 5 second rule?

Go right ahead put the food back on your plate and munch away! Just remember to rub it with your hand sanitizer first. It kills those germs and tastes great! ;p

To me, it would have been acceptable to take a piece or two of watermelon from the tray at her table. Tongs optional.

Would it be OK if checked out all the pieces to make sure I got good ones? You know, like she did with the hot dog rolls.

While it doesn't help with people touching food with their hands in the serving dishes.....I ALWAYS carry hand sanitizer and use it after going through the buffet and before touching my utensils. If I use salt/pepper or a bottle/package condiment, etc I sanitize my hands again after touching them. (I keep the sanitizer on the table during the meal!)

Same here. I also use the sanitizer in the MD after using the menu before I touch the bread or utensils. Probably picking up germs anyways, but it makes me feel better. Also do the knuckle routine with the elevator buttons. Sometimes use the elbow if I have a couple of drinks in my hands. Now if the internal alcohol would just take care of the external germs we would all be fine.;p

Mary Ann

I have a confession, I have bouts with severe Eczema and can not use their hand sanitizer. If I do, my hands break out with bumpy red blotches with dead skin falling off my hands. which burns and is very painful for weeks. I am under a Doctor's care and get shots and also take meds for it. I have to use a rich cream based soap with lots of lotion after I wash my hands. I just pretend to use the sanitizer as I go into the Windjammer. If a person is there pumping it, I wipe it off with a tissue.

I don't think anyone wants my dead falling off skin around or in the food. I am a clean person, but there are exceptions to every rule.

I hope that those of you that use hand sanitizer incessantly understand that this can cause MORE issues with infection transfer.

Using hand sanitizer too much removes fats and oils from your skin, causing micro cracking. Those micro cracks pick up and HOLD bacteria and viruses. And protect them from the next use of hand sanitizer.

Also, living too clean has been shown to cause allergies and adult onset asthma. Your immune system needs to be exercised, just like your other systems. If it is not challenged, it becomes weak.

There is a similar thread on another board where I hang out. A lot of germophobes there also. Funny thing is, myself and a doctor are saying the same thing, don't worry that much, but the germophobes won't listen.

I don't use the hand sanitizer either. It really irritates my skin.

I really like the hand washing stations they have installed at the entrances to (some of) the WJ, if only they would give proper instructions for hand washing, most people tend to stick their hands in the water for just a few seconds ...

I don't worry too much about the serving tongs ... but if I see anyone using their fingers I avoid that particular item.

My big "thing" in the self-serving areas is the people who refill their drinking bottles directly from the machines

I hope that those of you that use hand sanitizer incessantly understand that this can cause MORE issues with infection transfer.

Using hand sanitizer too much removes fats and oils from your skin, causing micro cracking. Those micro cracks pick up and HOLD bacteria and viruses. And protect them from the next use of hand sanitizer.

Also, living too clean has been shown to cause allergies and adult onset asthma. Your immune system needs to be exercised, just like your other systems. If it is not challenged, it becomes weak.

There is a similar thread on another board where I hang out. A lot of germophobes there also. Funny thing is, myself and a doctor are saying the same thing, don't worry that much, but the germophobes won't listen.

When I was growing up our neighbour was a very well respected MD in town. One time, when we were building a fence together an insect landed in his coffee. As a young kid I went. 'Yuck, there's a bug in your coffee, it's got germs!’ So what did this medical professional do? He drank his coffee, insect and all, explaining; “A bug won't kill you, it's just protein." His point was stop worrying about the germs, you can't avoid them all the time, so learn to live with them.

Not only do you get micro cracking but removing the fats and oils disrupts the barrier that your skin provides between the external and your internal environment making you more susceptible to soft tissue infections. But you are right, germaphobes won't pay much attention. Maybe they feel the only way for microbes to enter their bodies is through their mouths.

Go right ahead put the food back on your plate and munch away! Just remember to rub it with your hand sanitizer first. It kills those germs and tastes great! ;p

I try not to use hand sanitizer. I like eating food with my hands, and the sanitizer leaves a residue that makes the food taste bad. In fact, I try to wash my hands a little as possible, otherwise they get too dry. Besides, germs and bacteria are good for you - they keep your immune system working.

Edited by El Abuelo
Clarification

I actually use a napkin to hold the utensils, then use different napkin to eat with. Had Noro 2 times in last 4 yrs, not on ship but do anything to help avoid it.

I don't do anything like what you describe and I've never had noro virus.:confused:

I only use my sanitzer on ships, planes, restaurants and public eating venues. At home I avoid a lot of the antibacterial soaps and cleaners for good old plain soap and water bcause of the immunity issues. Moderation is the key. Also if I get sick at home I can deal with it much easier than when I am traveling.

Mary Ann

I don't do anything like what you describe and I've never had noro virus.:confused:

Well lucky you. This thread is discussing people getting germs on Utensils in Wind Jammer. I was saying how I avoid it. As I said, never on a ship though thousands have caught it there. But If you ever had it once you would never want to again...

So, if munching on food while waiting In the buffet line is not acceptable, I would guess picking up and putting back on the plate food one dropped on the floor would also be frowned upon? Despite the 5 second rule?

It's actually the "5 minute" rule in the buffet ;p

I always use the tongs, licking them clean before putting them back so they are ready for the next person

That's some funny sh*t

On Jewel I watched a lady do this with 10 more hot dog buns till she found one, " Just right" Moments later I went to the watermelon as it is usually really good and in April, we northerners haven't had any really great watermelon in months, anyway this lady took the entire tray back to her table and used it as a centerpiece for her family.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

If you're truly that concerned get your plate made up then have who ever you are with; assuming you're not alone; watch your plate while you go wash your hands before eating. However rembemer those same fingers are on the bathroom door, stair banisters, seats ( pulling out pushing in seats ehen sitting) and anywhere else on the ship. I just wash with soap and water before and after my meals.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

I heard (don't know if it's true) that norovirus can not be killed with alcohol (hand sanitizer) you have to wash it off. So you'd have to go wash your hands (and don't touch the door handle to get out of the bathroom or the chair to pull it out or the table to get closer after sitting down) after handling the tongs in order to really not worry about the germs you got from the serving utensils.

56f75f600f0a2b4f3157655f41b9fc29.jpg

I can't find the letter my doctor friend gave me years ago from the CDC but I just found this clip on the CDC website.

Edited by toxicfairy

Another thing people don't realize about sanitizers is that they alone don't kill bacteria. It's a combination of the sanitizer AND rubbing that kills bacteria. And you have to rub until your hands are completely dry. Otherwise, the bacteria not killed due to incorrect use of the sanitizer are basically 'vaccinated' against the sanitizer. They can become resistant to them, rendering sanitizers ineffective.

Also for those who think it's gross for people to eat something from their plate while they're in the line because of germs on their fingers, how is it any different than when/if they make a second trip to the buffet? How many people (who don't keep bottles of sanitizer on the table) go wash their hands AGAIN before each trip?

Definitely - Yes you are !!!

Yeah, but don't try to beat an Austrian to the front of the lift line.... Yikes.

OP, I will agree on the ships like HAL, they do serve the food on your plate and I prefer that way, but... unless you are super worried, there is no guarantee the person working for HAL is healthier than the random person in front of you. We are all humans....

JC

I should add that hand sanitizer and antibacterial soaps should be used sparingly because, while it does kill bad bacteria, it also kills the good bacteria that is healthy for us. The Quantum Class ships have the right idea with a hand washing area at the entrance to the Windjammer. There is no substitute for a good hand washing!

Well, you have many options for deciding where to eat, so if you are concerned, I would avoid the buffet.

I'm one of those people that grew up, drinking water out of water hoses and drink fountains, playing outside, and eating without washing my hands after making mud pies. So I eat in buffets.

All, I have to say is Germs..... George Carlin and google it

JC