Buffet line etiquette?

I, too, have seen this happen. I guess if you eat in buffets enough times, and I do frequently, there is not much you won't occasionally see. Once on Oasis I was in the Solarium Cafe for lunch. This kid walks by the desserts, picks one up and stiffs it to see what it smelled like, then put it back down. That one even got to this die hard buffet lover.

You are reminding me why I usually only eat breakfast in the WJ.... I hope those people are still in bed because it was hard for me to get my a$$ here before going ashore.

JC<---- will eat at a buffet but will almost never prefer a buffet

Well lucky you. This thread is discussing people getting germs on Utensils in Wind Jammer. I was saying how I avoid it. As I said, never on a ship though thousands have caught it there. But If you ever had it once you would never want to again...

He is a doctor, and is trying to give you enlightenment....

wasted as usual.

JC

Well lucky you. This thread is discussing people getting germs on Utensils in Wind Jammer. I was saying how I avoid it. As I said, never on a ship though thousands have caught it there. But If you ever had it once you would never want to again...

Let's be honest, this thread might be about getting germs on utensils in the WJ but in reality if you get sick on the ship you really have no idea where you it originated from.

I didn't see the video but honestly the Windjammer is not that bad we did a few breakfast there didn't do much more than that and I think one time we were there for lunch yes there are times it's very busy and you do have to wait worst cases you have to look for a table but the staff is very amicable and they even tried to help us find the table when we couldn't

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Another thing people don't realize about sanitizers is that they alone don't kill bacteria. It's a combination of the sanitizer AND rubbing that kills bacteria. And you have to rub until your hands are completely dry. Otherwise, the bacteria not killed due to incorrect use of the sanitizer are basically 'vaccinated' against the sanitizer. They can become resistant to them, rendering sanitizers ineffective.

Also for those who think it's gross for people to eat something from their plate while they're in the line because of germs on their fingers, how is it any different than when/if they make a second trip to the buffet? How many people (who don't keep bottles of sanitizer on the table) go wash their hands AGAIN before each trip?

Eating with your fingers while in line is not gross. But the majority of those finger eaters then clean their fingers by licking them and then going on to touch other stuff.... that is the gross part.

Let's be honest, this thread might be about getting germs on utensils in the WJ but in reality if you get sick on the ship you really have no idea where you it originated from.

Of course we know. Have you ever read a thread on CC about getting sick on a ship where the blame was not put squarely on RCI?;)

Eating with your fingers while in line is not gross. But the majority of those finger eaters then clean their fingers by licking them and then going on to touch other stuff.... that is the gross part.

I'm not sure about that, I explicitly said that I only take bites of dry/non-residue foods (therefore, no finger licking) and people still reacted negatively. I am still scratching my head wondering where these germs are magically coming from.

To say nothing of the fact that it all becomes moot when you step outside and lean on a railing that has been touched by hundreds of hands.

I actually float/ hover magically above the floor and any furniture on the cruise ships and in port. I use telepathy to get my food to jump onto my plate ( and into my mouth at the table so never touching a utensil). In the bathroom I hover over toilets and use the same methods to turn on the water and open the doors. Also I don't take a single breath while on the cruise. So as to not let any airborn pathogens get into my system!! This has worked well so far. Then I go home and go to work in a school full of kids with severe hanidicaps who's parents NEVER 😂😂😂send their kids to school sick!

Then I woke up to reality .

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

I use telepathy to get my food to jump onto my plate ( and into my mouth at the table so never touching a utensil).

I know you mean telekinesis, but I laughed really hard imagining you telepathically communicating to a dinner roll and convincing it diplomatically to get up and hop onto your plate.

I had no idea some people had such strong feelings about OPG (other people's germs) and OPEH (other people's eating habits). If chewing on food in the buffet line, and picking up food from the floor is not acceptable, I would guess stopping to pick up road kill is completely out of the question. Just think of all those starving people ...

I'm not sure about that, I explicitly said that I only take bites of dry/non-residue foods (therefore, no finger licking) and people still reacted negatively. I am still scratching my head wondering where these germs are magically coming from.

To say nothing of the fact that it all becomes moot when you step outside and lean on a railing that has been touched by hundreds of hands.

Exactly. Why are we only concerned about cross contamination in the dining area, when the same germs are everywhere else? What about the pool? All that stuff people do when they're in the water, which they bring with them and share with the rest of us as they drip water everywhere! Gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it.

I know you mean telekinesis, but I laughed really hard imagining you telepathically communicating to a dinner roll and convincing it diplomatically to get up and hop onto your plate.

I am already folding my tin foil hat for my September cruise.:')

I am thinking of taking a first time cruise on a RCCL ship. :)

I saw in an online video of Brilliance of The Seas buffet stations are mostly self service. In otherwords, PAX help themselves to the prepared foods at the various food stations.

I have on some cruises, noticed in buffet lines some PAX pick up food, put it on their plates, then use their fingers to eat what's on their plate whilst going to the next food station, and handling the serving utensils.:eek:

Fortunately, I have never gotten a food born illness on cruises with Princess and Celebrity because I ask the buffet line staff to place the food on my plate, and I seldom need to pick up the serving utensils.

So my questions are:

So, I'm just curious, do you say something to PAXs in front of you who nibbles food with their fingers off their plate, and then handles the next serving utensils in the buffet line? Or just keep quiet?

Is it improper and poor etiquette for one to use a napkin, or disposable glove to pick up the serving utensils?

And, am I overly concerned about getting someone's germs in the buffet line?:confused:

Thanks you.

Protecting your own health on a cruise should always be your main concern however you do it. If wearing gloves looks odd, so what if you are the only one not sick! Cruise in health!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

People react negatively because their experience has been that a line eater is most likely also a licker. As long as you don't lick for fingers I don't really care if you eat your whole meal standing in line. That frees up a table that I might be able to snag.:)

A slight hi-jack of the thread, but I was very dissapointed in Royal in that the new ships don't have a specific place for serving utensils in each individual tray at the buffet. If you can spend $1 billion on a ship, how hard would be it be to put a specific place to put the serving implement that is not directly on top of the food?

Edited by BillOh

People react negatively because their experience has been that a line eater is most likely also a licker. As long as you don't lick for fingers I don't really care if you eat your whole meal standing in line. That frees up a table that I might be able to snag.:)
So true! Put the food on your plate with the utensils provided and move on! This is not the table in your home.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I think the chair thing is something most people don't think about. How many times do we grab the chair (like by the armrests, or the edge of the seat, or the back of the chair) to move it toward or away from the table? And don't forget salt and pepper shakers!

For what it's worth, I don't worry about these things (or about the tongs).

and the kids that have sat, stood on that chair, crawled on the floor and sat on the chair again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

and the kids that have sat, stood on that chair, crawled on the floor and sat on the chair again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last year I was at a local restaurant...not on a ship....and watched a child (roughly 5 year old) continuously LICK the top of the salt shaker! Her parents just sat there and watched her! I immediately went to the manager and quickly/strongly suggested they replace the salt shaker before they seated the next customer at that table! (So they probably just moved it to a different table!😬)

Last year I was at a local restaurant...not on a ship....and watched a child (roughly 5 year old) continuously LICK the top of the salt shaker! Her parents just sat there and watched her! I immediately went to the manager and quickly/strongly suggested they replace the salt shaker before they seated the next customer at that table! (So they probably just moved it to a different table!)

I saw similar, child was sucking on the ketchup dispenser.

Or at a piazz place that caters to families, no names, but initials are CC. Watched two couples talking across the table while one of their kids, climbed onto the table and went stomping between them, WALKING THROUGH THEIR PIZZA. The two sets of "adults", only shifted left/right to keep eye contact.

I would definitely say something to a child or young adult. I've seen enough of these little snowflakes poking holes in rolls and trying desserts with their fingers. It would depend on the person and situation if I said anything. Most pretend not to understand English. I've actually gone to another line or buffet station.

I would, too. Several people seem to be laughing but as someone who's immune system is low, it does make me be extra careful. Not to the extent of wearing gloves but I have avoided some items if I've seen someone doing something gross lol

I would, too. Several people seem to be laughing but as someone who's immune system is low, it does make me be extra careful. Not to the extent of wearing gloves but I have avoided some items if I've seen someone doing something gross lol

Totally agree with you. Parents who laugh off their kids' misbehavior annoy me to no end. Children are disgusting X|

I guess I qualify as a germaphobe. I don't touch toilet handles, door knobs, etc bare-handed. I'm actually surprised the buffet allows people to serve themselves (haven't cruised in 13 years). I might bring gloves, don't mind me. Full disclosure, I'm an RN. I'm also a stickler on food safety, I know, I know, lots of fun at parties.