Rci app

I think the app and cruising on Royal Caribbean will soon go together like PB&J for those who want simplicity and convenience.

There are many self-service features currently available, in beta, and being planned.  These will save time at guest services and simply make things easier.

I can see a time when a physical card may not be needed especially when Royal IT takes full advantage of NFC (7+ years away).  All the areas where you currently swipe or place your card near a reader can be done via a properly equiped phone.  Of course, there will still be those who want (or need) a physical card and a physical daily newsletter.

Edited by soremekun

27 minutes ago, soremekun said:

I can see a time when a physical card may not be needed especially when Royal IT takes full advantage of NFC (7+ years away).  All the areas where you currently swipe or place your card near a reader can be done via a properly equiped phone.  Of course, there will still be those who want (or need) a physical card and a physical daily newsletter.

I expect sooner than 7 years. 

RCI app supported ships:

- Adventure of the Seas®
- Allure of the Seas®

- Anthem of the Seas®
- Brilliance of the Seas®

- Empress of the Seas®
- Enchantment of the Seas®
- Harmony of the Seas®
- Independence of the Seas®
- Liberty of the Seas®
- Majesty of the Seas®
- Mariner of the Seas®
- Navigator of the Seas®
- Oasis of the Seas®
- Ovation of the Seas®

- Quantum of the Seas®
- Serenade of the Seas®
- Spectrum of the Seas®
- Symphony of the Seas®
- Vision of the Seas®

- Voyager of the Seas®

Biker, who is surprised by the latest addition.

41 minutes ago, banditoo said:

I see Radiance is not listed for the App. Anyone know if it will be available by January 2020?

The recent trend makes me believe that one more ship will be added this year.  There is no way of knowing which one it will be.

1 hour ago, banditoo said:

I see Radiance is not listed for the App. Anyone know if it will be available by January 2020?

The cruise line has not publicly shared the rollout schedule for the RCI App.

Something weird:

At one point in time, Oasis had both X-ray vision and Games available via the app.  Now, they aren't available (or at least the icons aren't present).  Hopefully within the next few days someone can confirm the availability of these features.  Must one be onboard to access them?  For the stateroom controls, one must be on that sailing to see the feature.  Maybe it is the same with X-ray vision and Games for Oasis?  That theory doesn't make sense because if I look up a Harmony cruise via the app, I can see that X-ray vision, Games, and even chat are available.

So the question remains, are X-ray vision and Games no longer available via Oasis?  I can't see the ship coming out of a major refurbishment with less app features.

33 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Might be easier to now start listing the ships without the App

Freedom

Explorer

Grandeur

Jewel

Radiance

Rhapsody

Kind  of surprised at a Freedom and a Explorer being on the list.

Hopefully they won't waste time adding Grandeur to the app since it won't be a part of the Royal fleet for much longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Part of an RCI blog article

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. SVP Digital Experience Jay Schneider has been at the helm of Royal Caribbean's next-gen tech, known as Project Excalibur, for three years and shared the plans, challenges, and successes the company has with leveraging technology.

Like all software development, creating a brand new Royal Caribbean app that sought to simplify the cruise experience for guests is not an overnight task. Moreover, developing an app to work on a cruise ship comes with its own set of challenges.

"Everything you expected on land, is designed for you to be on land. Your phone wakes up through a push notification, because you're connected to the cloud somewhere, whether through WiFi or cellular. There are so many ways where technology on land is easier."

"The problem is we also operate 50 data centers at sea that have to work in a redundant way, and so if you think about that, our challenge is to figure out how, you, the consumer can work with us when you're on land and then when the guest is onboard, how everything is localized."

How close are we to chat across the fleet

One of the most-requested features for Royal Caribbean to offer is a guest-to-guest chat communication feature. Royal Caribbean has been testing a chat function in its app on Allure of the Seas and Harmony of the Seas for months, so we asked Mr. Schneider when chat will roll out to the entire fleet.

"One of the things we've gotten complaints for, is the pace of our evolution. In fact, the number one reason people rate us poorly in the app store is, 'You're not on my ship.' That's deliberate. We want to make sure that the technology we put onboard every ship works flawlessly, and chat isn't there yet."

"We know people want chat. We know it's the number one feature they ask for, and it's something we're trying to rush to the market."

"I hope in early 2020, we will be able to light chat up on every ship that has the app. I think we're a couple months away of final testing."

"You asked the question around why it's hard to put technology on a ship, chat is the hardest. There is a number of ways Apple, and even Google on an Android platform, expect you to operate that doesn't exist at sea in the ocean."

"We know people want chat. We know it's the number one feature they ask for, and it's something we're trying to rush to the market."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...