Unlimited drinks??

tmark47

We have only cruised 4 previous times, and we have never purchased the unlimited drink package. Do most people feel it is a good value?? Of course, if you drink no alcohol it is probably unecessary. In the package Princess states that drinks under $10.00 are covered. Another question I have is: does this include margaritas, daquari, whiskey sour and other mixed drinks. I don't know what price point the cruise line places on single drinks?

Tmark47, welcome to the Cruise Critic Forum.

My wife and I purchased the Princess Unlimited package when it was first introduced. We also have it as an included promotion on our next Princess cruise. We have also purchased/received with our fare the unlimited package on Celebrity. The package is convenient.

We found that the prices for individual drinks (alcoholic and non) are very reasonable on board Princess, therefore we would not purchase an unlimited package on Princess. The prices are significantly less than on many other cruise lines.

You can use the search function on this forum and find a spreadsheet that was created listing the prices for the various drinks. Perhaps someone with better skills can post a link for you.

Enjoy your cruise.

Does Princess require both parties in a couple purchase a beverage package?...and if so the same type of package? Example: my DH wants an AIBP and I don't. Can you buy a package during the cruise?...we are on a 15 day cruise and might want to buy it after 5 days or so if that is possible? Thanks! LuAnn

Does Princess require both parties in a couple purchase a beverage package?...and if so the same type of package? Example: my DH wants an AIBP and I don't. Can you buy a package during the cruise?...we are on a 15 day cruise and might want to buy it after 5 days or so if that is possible? Thanks! LuAnn

Both of you do NOT have to buy the AIBP.

It has to be bought by the second day of your cruise.

Not required to be purchased by both.

Also the AIBP is not proratable, so you cannot get a discount by waiting to buy.

We are brand new to cruising and are sailing on the Emerald to Alaska in about 10 days.

My question is: If we do not purchase the AIBP and buy drinks individually, how do we pay the gratuities??

Do we tip the bartender or barista at the time the drink is served to us? Or, is it automatically added to our bill at the end of the cruise?

Thank you in advance, and I apologize if this question has already been asked. - EBC

We have only cruised 4 previous times, and we have never purchased the unlimited drink package. Do most people feel it is a good value?? Of course, if you drink no alcohol it is probably unecessary. In the package Princess states that drinks under $10.00 are covered. Another question I have is: does this include margaritas, daquari, whiskey sour and other mixed drinks. I don't know what price point the cruise line places on single drinks?

If they don't specify "non alcoholic beverages, corks & caps".. then yes, whiskey, margaritas, etc. are included as long as they do not exceed $10

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are brand new to cruising and are sailing on the Emerald to Alaska in about 10 days.

My question is: If we do not purchase the AIBP and buy drinks individually, how do we pay the gratuities??

Do we tip the bartender or barista at the time the drink is served to us? Or, is it automatically added to our bill at the end of the cruise?

Thank you in advance, and I apologize if this question has already been asked. - EBC

The standard gratuity is added to the slip you sign when they bring you your drinks, they leave a space for an extra tip which isn't necessary.

A 15% gratuity is added to all drink orders...

The standard gratuity is added to the slip you sign when they bring you your drinks, they leave a space for an extra tip which isn't necessary.

Now I don't know about Princess. But on RCL & NCL, the gratuity is included in the beverage package you buy when booking, so there's no surprises later.

Now I don't know about Princess. But on RCL & NCL, the gratuity is included in the beverage package you buy when booking, so there's no surprises later.

On Princess the gratuity is added to the price at the time of purchase and then charged to the stateroom account.

If you get the AIBP under the sip and sail promo, then no gratuity is due as it's included with the package. If sailing on NCL and you select the AIBP as one of their "free" offers then they will still charge the gratuities to the stateroom unless that stateroom happens to be a full suite.

What's AIBP? All-Included-Beverage-Package? So if you're in the Haven Suite and the beverage package is Included as a free perk, you won't see gratuities as an extra charge?

How much should you tip the butler & concierge on a 14 night?

What's AIBP? All-Included-Beverage-Package? So if you're in the Haven Suite and the beverage package is Included as a free perk, you won't see gratuities as an extra charge?

Wrong cruise line. This is the Princess board. ;)

Whether it's worth it to you is a personal decision based on how much alcohol you drinks. Yes, you can get soda, coffee, bottled water, etc. but you can also buy a coffee card, soda card and water from the tap (just as pure as bottled water) for a lot less.

Cruise lines offer alcohol beverage packages to make money. Lots of money. They are laughing all the way to the bank. The AIPB will save some people money; it won't for most. Which is, of course, why it's offered.

Correct, no gratuity added for Haven suite guests. As for the butler/concierge question, as was suggested, you may want to try the NCL forum for that information.

Whether it's worth it to you is a personal decision based on how much alcohol you drinks. Yes, you can get soda, coffee, bottled water, etc. but you can also buy a coffee card, soda card and water from the tap (just as pure as bottled water) for a lot less.

Cruise lines offer alcohol beverage packages to make money. Lots of money. They are laughing all the way to the bank. The AIPB will save some people money; it won't for most. Which is, of course, why it's offered.

At what price point would it be beneficial for EVERYONE to buy and be a loss making proposition for the cruise line?

Thank you so much to EVERYONE who replied to my question about gratuities and beverages. We are always so grateful to have our questions answered and to receive all this helpful information.:p

We're getting out our suitcases tomorrow and working on our packing lists. I think this is going to be a really fun adventure ! :)-EBC

Correct, no gratuity added for Haven suite guests. As for the butler/concierge question, as was suggested, you may want to try the NCL forum for that information.

Apparently this has recently changed and they now charge the 18% gratuity to all US pax. Some Haven pax on the NCL board are not happy...

Apparently this has recently changed and they now charge the 18% gratuity to all US pax. Some Haven pax on the NCL board are not happy...

No... the response was in reference to AFTER the package has been paid for or included as a perk, BEFORE boarding. Gratuities ARE included in the package. When you swipe your seapass, there are no additional charges, for drinks under $15.

Forgot a few but here's the majority:

Carnival Ecstasy 1994

Carnival Triumph 1997

RCL Voyager of the Seas December 1999

RCL Explorer of the Seas November 2001

RCL Navigator of the Seas April 2002 & November 2002

RCL Mariner of the Seas November 2003

RCL Explorer of the Seas April 2004

RCL Navigator of the Seas April 2005

RCL Freedom of the Seas April 2006

RCL Mariner of the Seas November 2006

Princess Crown June 2006

NCL Pride of America (formerly Pride of Hawaii) June 2007

Celebrity Solstice December 2008

RCL Oasis of the Seas May 2010

NCL Epic June 2010

RCL Jewel of the Seas April/May 2011

RCL Oasis of the Seas June 2012

Carnival Pride November 2012

RCL Jewel of the Seas May 2013

RCL Independence of the Seas June 2013

RCL Freedom of the Seas May 2014

RCL Explorer January 2015

NCL Getaway May 2016

RCL Adventure of the Seas December 2016

At what price point would it be beneficial for EVERYONE to buy and be a loss making proposition for the cruise line?
Always follow the money. If a profit can be made, cruise lines, and Princess, will do it. Very few things are loss leaders or implemented to save passengers money.

Always follow the money. If a profit can be made, cruise lines, and Princess, will do it. Very few things are loss leaders or implemented to save passengers money.

Maybe pricing it at $20 pp pd would be in the passengers' interest & everyone would buy it.

I assume that price point would be loss making for any Cruise line.

That's like asking, "At what price point would it be beneficial for EVERYONE to buy Suites at sea?" It's NOT for everyone. And if EVERYONE could buy it, it wouldn't be a suite and a loss of profit. Same with the beverage package. They would lose money making the beverage package affordable because buying them wholesale would cost more. At some point, you have to break even or make more in profit than what you are purchasing in wholesale.

You don't market yourself for cheap... then ANYONE & EVERYONE would take advantage.

Forgot a few but here's the majority:

Carnival Ecstasy 1994

Carnival Triumph 1997

RCL Voyager of the Seas December 1999

RCL Explorer of the Seas November 2001

RCL Navigator of the Seas April 2002 & November 2002

RCL Mariner of the Seas November 2003

RCL Explorer of the Seas April 2004

RCL Navigator of the Seas April 2005

RCL Freedom of the Seas April 2006

RCL Mariner of the Seas November 2006

Princess Crown June 2006

NCL Pride of America (formerly Pride of Hawaii) June 2007

Celebrity Solstice December 2008

RCL Oasis of the Seas May 2010

NCL Epic June 2010

RCL Jewel of the Seas April/May 2011

RCL Oasis of the Seas June 2012

Carnival Pride November 2012

RCL Jewel of the Seas May 2013

RCL Independence of the Seas June 2013

RCL Freedom of the Seas May 2014

RCL Explorer January 2015

NCL Getaway May 2016

RCL Adventure of the Seas December 2016

No... the response was in reference to AFTER the package has been paid for or included as a perk, BEFORE boarding. Gratuities ARE included in the package. When you swipe your seapass, there are no additional charges, for drinks under $15

When purchasing an AIBP either prior to boarding, or once onboard, a one time gratuity charge is added to the bill (15-18% depending on the cruise line) and no further gratuities are due. If sailing on a Princess cruise under the sip and sail promo (and one didn't opt for the OBC) then no gratuity is added to the account. On NCL if one were to chose the AIBP, or even Speciality dinning, or internet minutes, then although it might have been free under a promo, they would still charge a gratuity on the package based on what it would have cost to purchase the package. That gratuity charge was waived for guests in a full suite. The previous note indicates that this is no longer the case and that suite guests are unhappy about it. I know I would have been!

We have been on a "Sip & Sail" All Inclusive beverage cruise with Princess and for us, it was sooo well worth it. I know it has been mentioned that the drinks are limited to $10.00/drink but I will say that I like Grey Goose vodka and my husband drinks a premium gin and all the premium brands were included. We also like wine with dinner and any bottle of $100.00 or more is 40% off (no - we don't drink a whole bottle between the 2 of us in 1 sitting but the waiter will hold it for you and even if in a Specialty restaurant, the wine magically finds it's way to you!:) Not to mention soft drinks, bottled water (must for excursion days!) & yummy specialty coffees. On our 30 day Singapore-Rome cruise coming up in April we once again got the free beverage package. Would we BUY it? Probably not - I think for premium liquor the cost is more + other little add-ons make it not such a great deal - at least in our opinion.