Can I see the northern lights in Iceland?

The website mentioned in the last post is a good one as you get closer to your visit date. Whether or not you see them depends on several factors (sunspot activity, cloud cover, etc.), so 'it depends'. Here's a website that provides a great explanation of what causes them:

https://www.northernlightscentre.ca/northernlights.html

We were there in September of last year for several nights. Technically we can say we saw them, but it was only a faint shimmering pale green streak across the sky, not the spectacular colors you sometimes see in photos and videos. We hope you are very lucky and get a great display!

The closer you are to December the better the chances are. This time of year - not so great.

October round to March should be fine. As others have said there are a number of factors involved here. December might give you the greatest number of hours of darkness, but means nothing without clearer skies (it was cloudy every day I was there) and decent sunspot activity 4 days prior to your viewing day.

September is pushing and whilst not ideal, it's certainly possible if the other factors work. OP make sure you get to somewhere away from light pollution though. We managed to get a very brief glimpse way away from the city in a minor break in the clouds but it was anything but spectacular and I'd still say if asked, I've not seen them.