Galveston weather concerns

Update from RCL website:

August 26, 2017

We are still actively monitoring path and progression of Hurricane Harvey. At this time, Liberty of the Seas will keep her original schedule for Sunday’s turnaround in Galveston, Texas. Should we make any changes to Liberty of the Sea’s itinerary, we will make sure to inform our guests.

We will post another update on Saturday, August 26, 2017 by 2:00 PM CT.

To Cruisefan00000001: This was posted on RCI at noon today. Where in this announcement, cruisefan, does it say not to come to the port? Did you miss this, or were you manipulating the truth? The "don't come to the port" announcement was posted around 4 pm today.

Flew into Houston just fine this morning and sitting in our airbnb in Galveston right now. Some roads were flooded coming in once we got on the island, but Broadway was pretty much clear and the area we are is totally fine (up by the med school).

Weather is quite nice at the moment - sun is actually peeking through some clouds. If this dry pocket holds I'm pretty optimistic that the schedule may hold.

If another 10 inches of rain drops, though, I can't see anyone making it to/from the port. For now I think everyone is holding and waiting to see if the rain winds up coming in force again.

You said it correctly-- galveston is currently in a dry pocket that is not expected to last past midnight. Stay safe!

A very surly reservations agent just said that if you cancel without cruise insurance there will be NO ZERO NADA compensation, and only then it depends on your coverage.

This is like a sailing which gets chartered - don't cancel until the cruisline announces it (even if it's a know thing for several weeks here) and provides compensation.

These are the facts-

1. https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-declares-state-of-disaster-for-30-texas-counties-in-anticip

2. Galveston county is among them.

3. Royal Caribbean is telling people to not proceed to port.

4. Royal Caribbean is telling people that if they are not on the cruise, they will get no compensation.

These are facts. Do with them what you wish. I will leave it to you to speculate on the repercussions, if any.

These are the facts-

1. 30 counties in the state of Texas are disaster areas according to our Governor. https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/gove...ies-in-anticip

3. Royal Caribbean is telling people to not proceed to port at this time-subject to change.

4. Royal Caribbean is telling people that if they are not on the cruise, they will get no compensation excepting your individual insurance plan, consult your policy.

These are facts. Do with them what you wish. I will leave it to you to speculate on the repercussions, if any.

EDITQUOTEmultiquote_off.gif

Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this.

I'm guessing most of us thought that. A couple people appear to have no objectivity as far as RCI is concerned. If nothing else, I've learned whose opinion to ignore, when asking questions about an RCI cruise. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing most of us thought that. A couple people appear to have no objectivity as far as RCI is concerned. If nothing else, I've learned whose opinion to ignore, when asking questions about an RCI cruise. :rolleyes:

I'm the person who made the statement he's referring to. One, I apologized and explained my error. I thought Valor was coming in a day earlier. Two, my last 5 cruises have been on lines other than RCI. So how about leaving the "no objectivity" comments to those who truly deserve it. I'm far from a loyalist.

Edited by Aquahound

Watching the Weather Channel Galveston and water on roadways was remedied by cleaning debris off of storm water drain. Power still on in their location.

Now if you were or in Rockport, TX, a much different story.

Here in Florida, locally, due too heavy rains, we have flood warnings and currently South bound I4 has two lanes closed due to flooding and heavy rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The state of disaster was declared BEFORE the storm hit and before they knew where the storm was going to hit. As you will note in the link you sent, it shows a shows a date of the 23rd. It is preemptive, due to the threat of disaster. Not due to disaster. It helps the government get moving.

From the Houston NWS:

Area Forecast DiscussionNational Weather Service Houston/Galveston TX454 PM CDT Sat Aug 26 2017...Catastrophic and life-threatening flooding expected due to prolonged heavy rainfall from Harvey....DISCUSSION...With Harvey meandering just west of the forecast area, rain and feeder bands will move over Southeast Texas until the storm moves out of the area. Short term high resolution models show the potential for rain bands to produce 10 to 15 inches of rain just tonight and Sunday morning. Rainfall of 10 to 15 inches within 6 or 12 hours will produce flash flooding. In addition, rainfall rates could exceed 4 inches per hour. If these intense rain bands with these amounts occur over the metro areas, flooding could impact homes, roadways, and the highway system.In addition, isolated tornadoes will continue to be possible. A tornado watch continues in effect through 2:00 AM Sunday.With Harvey pretty much stuck in very weak upper level steering,the potential for heavy rainfall will persist into Wednesday. Global models continue to show the rainfall potential from tonight through Wednesday evening of 15 to 25 inches. Isolated maximum amounts of up to 40 inches for the entire event is possible.It should be stressed that anyone planning to travel should checkwith TXDOT, Houston TranStar, or other trusted sources for road conditions prior to travel. Rainfall of this magnitude could cause major flooding of the highway system.

Haven't posted here in years, but I do enjoy reading here for various reasons. Today I have learned a great deal...particularly about the demographic of RCCL cruisers...who apparently consist of retirees who may drive to port whenever summoned...and individuals with private planes and pilots awaiting their call.

Which is all good because they can wait till 9pm tonight to see if RCCL gives them the big "C'mon down" signal at the last minute. Anyone not in this category would spit at the name and logo forevermore.

This is most obtuse display of corporate obnoxia that I have observed in years. Keep em hanging on, RCCL. Great PR move.

Genius.

THIS!! :cool:

Stop defending them. Van Fleet was the same idiot that sent the Anthem where it never should have been. Having him make calls on what happens to the Liberty certainly doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

This could have a happy ending and I hope it does. But my confidence is waning with each less confident update both from RCI and official entities on the ground.

I thought it was Van Fleet who was hired after the Anthem storm?

These are the facts-

1. https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-declares-state-of-disaster-for-30-texas-counties-in-anticip

3. Royal Caribbean is telling people to not proceed to port.

4. Royal Caribbean is telling people that if they are not on the cruise, they will get no compensation.

If you want to stick with facts, note that it was a Preemptive declaration of disaster, based on potential threat of a storm with an unknown path.

The GOP trying to avoid egg on their face like Katrina.

News wants this to be a Katrina.

It does really suck for those on the direct path.

From the Houston NWS:

Area Forecast DiscussionNational Weather Service Houston/Galveston TX454 PM CDT Sat Aug 26 2017...Catastrophic and life-threatening flooding expected due to prolonged heavy rainfall from Harvey....DISCUSSION...With Harvey meandering just west of the forecast area, rain and feeder bands will move over Southeast Texas until the storm moves out of the area. Short term high resolution models show the potential for rain bands to produce 10 to 15 inches of rain just tonight and Sunday morning. Rainfall of 10 to 15 inches within 6 or 12 hours will produce flash flooding. In addition, rainfall rates could exceed 4 inches per hour. If these intense rain bands with these amounts occur over the metro areas, flooding could impact homes, roadways, and the highway system.In addition, isolated tornadoes will continue to be possible. A tornado watch continues in effect through 2:00 AM Sunday.With Harvey pretty much stuck in very weak upper level steering,the potential for heavy rainfall will persist into Wednesday. Global models continue to show the rainfall potential from tonight through Wednesday evening of 15 to 25 inches. Isolated maximum amounts of up to 40 inches for the entire event is possible.It should be stressed that anyone planning to travel should checkwith TXDOT, Houston TranStar, or other trusted sources for road conditions prior to travel. Rainfall of this magnitude could cause major flooding of the highway system.

Come on Down!

Agina (for the 3rd time now)...that's why airlines have been cancelling flights to the area as well already...unless one drives (and those folks on the ground are the best informed)...you can't get there by air anyway...and the port is in line with that reality.

since you know and your from ATL, their has been 5 flights land at Hobby today from ATL:eek: on Southwest

The weakest leadership at the state and local levels were Democrats, Kathleen Blanco, and Ray Nagin, Governor of LA and Mayor of Louisiana respectively.

In all honesty, and I mean, ALL honesty, Katrina was a bi-partisan screw up, and I know, because politics is my profession and I have been in the middle of campaigns, policy, and spin for a long, long time.

We have been told not to discuss politics but the "GOP" included our Governor, Rick Perry, who rescued, against the wishes of many in his own party, THOUSANDS of LA flood victims and many have since relocated here permanently.

The "Dems" also include Al Gore, the former Vice-President who flew into NOLA to rescue hospital patients-and you probably don't know that.

This is an American issue, to be solved by Americans, of all stripes, of all persuasions, of all backgrounds.

THIS is why we don't discuss politics here. Because it always seems to elevate party over people.