re meat pies

Love that Dad had his own sauce.  Reminds me when I set the table, there was a glass bread box, a glass butter box, salt and pepper and a couple of bottles of sauce.  I only used tomato sauce and didn’t try the others.

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

Over the years been to Robertson Pies, Haydns at Ulladulla, Tilba, Heatherbraes , Yatala, Freddos and many, many more. 🥧

I'm guessing you had one or two pies now and then while on patrol on your motorcycle Les. Identifying the quality stops and having the misfortune of finding a few less than appealing.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm guessing you had one or two pies now and then while on patrol on your motorcycle Les. Identifying the quality stops and having the misfortune of finding a few less than appealing.

Morning young Lyle…oh yes back in the 70’s at Wollongong, riding the motorcycle up McQuarie Pass, Robertson Pie shop was always the place to be for a hot 🥧 and coffee when it was 0 degrees. But then Coeliac hit me in 2010 and I was a shattered man . Not easy to find a decent gf pie. Sometimes I drive 45 minutes to Haydens at Ulladulla for a hot gf pie and pick up half a dozen frozen ones for “Ron”, lol. You know, later on…ron.lol. They are great, albeit $8 a pie.

th.jpg.bfde842d9d2e938da849c9e0755eb9d8.jpgth.jpg.c033e3e40df80f3ee1d56c446c697342.jpg1969150544_th(1).jpg.e276204d57b8bb0d2eb892cfe2c6595a.jpg

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Morning young Lyle…oh yes back in the 70’s at Wollongong, riding the motorcycle up McQuarie Pass, Robertson Pie shop was always the place to be for a hot 🥧 and coffee when it was 0 degrees. But then Coeliac hit me in 2010 and I was a shattered man . Not easy to find a decent gf pie. Sometimes I drive 45 minutes to Haydens at Ulladulla for a hot gf pie and pick up half a dozen frozen ones for “Ron”, lol. You know, later on…ron.lol. They are great, albeit $8 a pie.

th.jpg.bfde842d9d2e938da849c9e0755eb9d8.jpgth.jpg.c033e3e40df80f3ee1d56c446c697342.jpg1969150544_th(1).jpg.e276204d57b8bb0d2eb892cfe2c6595a.jpg

Glad you can get quality gf pies Les.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Cool here today, 12C, gf sausage roll and sauce is the order for today.

colessrolls-553x1024.thumb.jpg.aa8ab777e739463aacafcedd3ff8f573.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Love that Dad had his own sauce.  Reminds me when I set the table, there was a glass bread box, a glass butter box, salt and pepper and a couple of bottles of sauce.  I only used tomato sauce and didn’t try the others.

Speaking of butter dishes, I still use daily a Danish stainless steel one which was a wedding gift from 1969😲 It's been through the dishwasher thousands of times and still looks almost like new.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NSWP said:

I had to smile at your comment about buying pies for Ron. My father's name was Ron and he would say exactly the same thing (and meaning the same).

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, fairywren said:

Speaking of butter dishes, I still use daily a Danish stainless steel one which was a wedding gift from 1969😲 It's been through the dishwasher thousands of times and still looks almost like new.

The table setting I mentioned was as a child for my grandmother.  Like you I had a stainless steel butter dish.  Must have been fashionable. We always gave wedding gifts, no money!  We would look at wedding lists at David Jones our best department store.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, fairywren said:

My wedding gifts are also from 1969🥰

• Like 2

I really wish we had companies competing for "best meat pies". I do have to admit we have some good pies around here but I don't think we have many if any places we can drop in and get a hot pie immediately. When we finally get down there we will be sampling some of the recommended places.

I can commiserate with you Les being forced into the gluten free lifestyle, it definitely takes away from the idea of grabbing a quick pie or any other pastry when the urge hits.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Buon appetito Les.  How are you faring?  You’re always in our thoughts😊

Thanks Linda, but I am struggling, most days I am a shot duck, side effects of the cancer meds according to Oncologist. This site cheers me up no end.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Thanks Linda, but I am struggling, most days I am a shot duck, side effects of the cancer meds according to Oncologist. This site cheers me up no end.

All strength to you, Les.  Wish I had a magic wand.  I agree…I get so much enjoyment chatting with all the wonderful CC members.  Some witty contributions leave me chuckling, and everyone is generous sharing their own areas of expertise and guidance.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Sorry to hear things are not going well at the moment - hopefully there will be a time when treatment ends and you can feel better. It's a b@gger of a disease - hate it with a passion even though it has now been over 20 years since my treatment. Try to stay strong and soldier on. ♥️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NSWP said:

You are in our thoughts often Les, and you should no it cheers us up no end when we see your posts and know you are carrying on.

Live life full mate.

Lyle & Lynn

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Agree that pie looks a not so humble pie. So Yummy!  I don’t buy Good Food just the weekend Travel Supplement.

Rolf still likes to get the paper every day even though he now does the cryptic crossword online. 

The pie is a Pithivier - an upside pie that has a hole on top where you pour gravy into it. The recipe comes from Nagi (RecipeTin Eats) and looks very complicated. 

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Rolf still likes to get the paper every day even though he now does the cryptic crossword online. 

The pie is a Pithivier - an upside pie that has a hole on top where you pour gravy into it. The recipe comes from Nagi (RecipeTin Eats) and looks very complicated. 

Thanks.   I have Nagi's book.  I read the Sydney Morning Herald at the Library.