re meat pies

you cant beat a scollop pie made in Richmond Tasmania these are to die for... and i cant wait to have one when i head back to tassie in october

A couple of nice spots in Tassie for a pie, a few shops still using wood fired ovens too which tend to produce a good pie.

Vili's aren't bad just not stocked many places around me.

Originally just an Adelaide company but quickly expanded across SA as the quality was so good and their business expanded to the demand. Gabriel Gateau then was commissioned to design the gourmet range of pies and it just went boom. They then started going across Australia with their products being stocked in BPs café type stations and also in some IGA stores.

Not sure if they are still in the stores though.

Originally just an Adelaide company but quickly expanded across SA as the quality was so good and their business expanded to the demand. Gabriel Gateau then was commissioned to design the gourmet range of pies and it just went boom. They then started going across Australia with their products being stocked in BPs café type stations and also in some IGA stores.

Not sure if they are still in the stores though.

Used to have them frequently when visiting Adelaide, Mrs Gut says maybe Harry's for lunch today.

Most non franchise bakeries make awesome pies,

There is one up in Port Douglas that does the varieties like Crocodile, Barramundi and Kangaroo which are all very very nice.

My local bakery makes awesome pies so if you're ever in Lane Cove look for Sam the Cakeman.

Daughter is G/F too swears by Ridgy Didge. Says nearly as good as real ones.

Not seen them. Woolworths stock Jase's frozen meat pies and sausage rolls, not bad, but like all GF food, rip off price.:evilsmile:

Not seen them. Woolworths stock Jase's frozen meat pies and sausage rolls, not bad, but like all GF food, rip off price.:evilsmile:

They're a small chain, started in Coffs I think, lucky we have one in Abermain, just near Cessnock as it's one thing she really misses.

While we are talking pies, is Harry's anywhere within walking distance from circular quay cruise terminal. If so, might go for a feed.

Someone reported that a shop near the Ferry Terminal sells them.

Otherwise Haymarket is a few Kms up the road or around at Darling Harbour

http://www.harryscafedewheels.com.au/locations

A curry pie in winter, yum. The best pies, Harry de wheels. Pie and peas. The franchise is popping up everywhere. Had one in Campbelltown and of course the original in Woolloomooloo with it's photos of their hall of fame.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's making me hungry.

And I didn't get one yesterday like I'd planned, it was too early when we were there.

Can still remember the pies and the superb cream buns from the Wangi Bakery in the early sixties, eaten on the beach looking out to Pulbar Island. How are the pies there now?.

Can still remember the pies and the superb cream buns from the Wangi Bakery in the early sixties, eaten on the beach looking out to Pulbar Island. How are the pies there now?.

That would have been Jack Cooke, down next to the RSL in the early 60s, with Charlie Cousins Fish and Chips one side and Dougie Oldham Butcher on the other.

The bakehouse is now opposite the park you'd have sat in overlooking Pulbah early 60s it was an overgrown empty block, then the police station, now the bakehouse and a cafe (Wangi Deck Cafe). Haven't had a pie there for ages but mum and dad say they're good.

The Wangi bakery that was there years ago had changed hands, and then got pushed out by IGA but they did have good pies when they were in their prime.

Up in the old police station now Mic, on the corner, mum and dad say they're still pretty good.