re meat pies

I have Googled Tom Diddle unsuccessfully. Please explain. Are the meat pies like pasties?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

They look like a UK Pork pie but are eaten hot ,like a Cornish Pastie. Cornish pasties are best eaten with a pint of John Smith's Bitter in a nice pub in Devon or Cornwall.Think I might need a plane ticket to cure my hunger

They look like a UK Pork pie but are eaten hot ,like a Cornish Pastie. Cornish pasties are best eaten with a pint of John Smith's Bitter in a nice pub in Devon or Cornwall.Think I might need a plane ticket to cure my hunger

Yes similar to a pork pie on the outside, inside meat in gravy sometimes the meat is mince sometimes chunkier.

Pork pies are round with pork and jelly inside. Served cold. Most supermarkets in OZ stock them.

Pasties are a different shape, oblong with a curved edge one side, containing some sort of meat with a few vegies. Served warm to hot.:*

Pork pies and Pasties are a completely different species.:halo:

Remember Uncle Les was transported from Mother England to the Colonies, light years ago. Got my Ticket of Leave to go back now and then to contribute to the British economy.

I will be over in the English west country next year, you can have my share as I cannot eat them, unless GF, which are almost impossible to find.:loudcry::(

Certainly 'Mystery Bag' is a term for humble sausage or 'snag' as we call them. But for many years I have also heard meat pies referred to as 'Mystery Bags,' 'Dogs Eyes' and probably some more OZ vernacular.:halo: Certainly in Sydney or as some old timers call Sydney... 'Steak & Kidney.'

I did work in a butchers shop whilst at school, when I was about 14. A little Sawdust did go into snags as a filler with all the minced up rubbish the butcher had back in the early 60's. (1960's that is NOT 1860's) lol.:mad:

Yes back in ye olde days undisclosed items went into Snags and meat pies. These days of course most ingredients have to be disclosed, but not always. A butcher can tell you anything about his snags.

At school in the 60s we called pies "maggot bags". Adolescent teen humour?

Pasties are made with pastry, sometimes with flaky pastry but do not not have gravy in them. They contain meat, potato, carrot, onion, the odd pea etc. They were developed by the Cornish miners long ago as a means of taking their food into the mines. Pasties are also popular here and available at many bakeries, just like the meat pies and sausage rolls.:p Why not have a three course meal, with tomato sauce of course.

Above all enjoy.

I bought a pastie from a bakery at Green Hills (near Maitland). I was shocked to find disgusting foreign objects in it - broccoli - yuk!

In the early 60s my dad, on payday (Fridays), would bring home Darby's pies from Darby street in Newcastle. They've been my favourite ever since. Tried a Mrs Mac once, yuk also. Now there are Darby's pie shops all over Newcastle and Lake Macquarie. They also made great cream buns and cream horns but dropped them from the menu quite a few years ago. They still do lamingtons, vanilla slices and apple turnovers and others. I don't know if Darby's have a shop close to the harbour foreshore as it is a long hike down to the Darby street shop - it's still there 50 years later.

In the early 60s my dad, on payday (Fridays), would bring home Darby's pies from Darby street in Newcastle. They've been my favourite ever since. Tried a Mrs Mac once, yuk also. Now there are Darby's pie shops all over Newcastle and Lake Macquarie. They also made great cream buns and cream horns but dropped them from the menu quite a few years ago. They still do lamingtons, vanilla slices and apple turnovers and others. I don't know if Darby's have a shop close to the harbour foreshore as it is a long hike down to the Darby street shop - it's still there 50 years later.

Nope none in the City. Though at the moment any pie (or a pastime) a sausage roll and a 600 ml Coke $6.95 (or maybe $5.95)

A proper pastie has turnips or swedes in it. Heatherbrae pies at the service centre, just off the Pacific Highway at Raymond Terrace has a very nice veggie pastie. Tempting when we're travelling up north.

Their steak and vege pie isn't bad either

Do they bake Boston Buns or Yeast Buns? Cant' get any of these at the shops these day's

For anyone visiting the UK, and wishing to sample top quality pork pies, aside from the butchers that produce their own in Melton Mowbray, Taylor's of Darlington in the north east, and Waterall Brothers of Sheffield in the east Midlands both produce superb pork pies, as tested by my goodself😀.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app