Cards in mailbox.

deborahjo

Know this is not new on the Splendor but questions.

Does anyone else feel uncomfortable having your sign and sail cards out in the general public? I just don't like this.

Anyone can just walk by and take whose card they choose. I know it may seem silly but it can happen.

If someone charges on my card I know Carnival can remove the charges but I don't want the hassle.

Can someone answer why they even went to this system? Does not make sense to me.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No I don't feel uncomfortable with it at all. Only people that are already on the ship could get your card and what are the going to do with it? If it's tampered with, it's obvious and if it's missing, go the Diamond/Platinum/FTTF GS line. It's not like a hotel where there is unlimited access to your card.

They went to it to speed up the process as you now have one less line to wait in and it also keeps people from accessing their cabins early as the keys are placed in the envelopes when the cabin is ready. It helps the room stewards as far as not having to stop what they are doing to talk to people that aren't supposed to be there "just dropping things off". I love it and you can see many threads on this where I would say practically all the people who have actually experienced it loved it as well. Do a search.

Lots of threads on this since the policy change. Misgivings such as yours have been posted many times.

I have yet to read that any of the possibilities you mention, plus any that others may have voiced, have actually occurred.

When I first started cruising, I would find my excursion tickets left in my mailbox.

My past 4 cruises have been this way and I've had no problem at all with it. It speeds up your check-in and keeps people from trying to get to their rooms before it's ready. I've not seen or heard of one person having theirs stolen.

We have done it twice now. It works, I would have zero qualms about security. Lots of things can "happen". You are not in jeopardy, let it go.

The reason why they went to this system, is that it is a SIGNIFICANT enhancement to the boarding process. It was the main component of slowing down embarkation.

Just go and enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I didn't like the idea at first but it really isn't a big deal. They come in a sealed envelope and your picture is linked to it. If anyone else were to try to use your card for something, I'm sure it would be obvious to an employee.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't like the idea because I like having my card to get my beer. But security concerns should be minimal. Your picture pops up on the computer. Unless your an ugly old man, you wouldn't be able to use mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thanks all for your responses. I do not see how it speeds up check in because we only went to one line at check in.

Do understand though that it will keep people from having access to their cabins when not suppose to be there.

I don't like the idea because I like having my card to get my beer. But security concerns should be minimal. Your picture pops up on the computer. Unless your an ugly old man, you wouldn't be able to use mine.

You can use your boarding pass to make purchases prior to getting your S&S card.

Thanks all for your responses. I do not see how it speeds up check in because we only went to one line at check in.

Do understand though that it will keep people from having access to their cabins when not suppose to be there.

You went to the initial line before security where they check your IDs then went to the line where you got your cards. There were 2 lines. Now there's only the one out front right before the metal detectors.

You can use your boarding pass to make purchases prior to getting your S&S card.
So I'm good to go. It's all about the beer. [emoji476] [emoji476] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji481] [emoji481] [emoji482]

So I'm good to go. It's all about the beer. [emoji476] [emoji476] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji481] [emoji481] [emoji482]

You indeed will be good to go. And you will get that beer even quicker than in the past with the expedited check-in.

Happy Sailing!

Remember every time you buy something at a cash register a VERY large photo of you shows up on the screen. So if someone took your card they need to look like you.

The hand scanners also have a photo of you but it is smaller, even the scanner at the doc to get on and off has a photo of you.

think of it as like a finger print.

Plus if someone took your card, just report it missing or stolen, customer service will then eval all charges to see if someone did something.

Check in time was super fast using the mail box method. Saves them hours.

how does that affect this: as soon as I walk onboard, there are usually waiters with trays of the "drink of the day" and I want one!!!!

how can I get one as soon as I walk onboard, without my S&S card????????

this is distressing:eek:

They will still be there hawking the drinks. You had a boarding pass to get checked in, right?

That VERY SAME boarding pass will allow you to make purchases, until you retrieve your S&S card from your mailbox.

No worries unless you throw away your boarding pass.

Believe me, Carnival is eager to sell you that drink.

how does that affect this: as soon as I walk onboard, there are usually waiters with trays of the "drink of the day" and I want one!!!!

how can I get one as soon as I walk onboard, without my S&S card????????

this is distressing:eek:

IamaTexasCruiser- I'm sure your distress caused you to miss the previous post... just use your boarding pass til you get your S&S card.... now breathe.... deeply.... all will be well and you can start imbibing as soon as you embark! LOL!

IamaTexasCruiser- I'm sure your distress caused you to miss the previous post... just use your boarding pass til you get your S&S card.... now breathe.... deeply.... all will be well and you can start imbibing as soon as you embark! LOL!

You are so much more diplomatic than I am. Man I hope you love the Breeze.

You are so much more diplomatic than I am. Man I hope you love the Breeze.

LOL- I'm not often accused of being diplomatic so I'll take it!

I'm so excited to be onboard! I know Harvey could still cause issues, but I'm feeling more confident every minute that 3 weeks from now we'll be arriving at our pre-cruise hotel, preparing for a nice relaxing dinner before an early night in preparation for boarding the beauty Sunday morning!

Thanks so much Bury Me At Sea for all your help and info so far!

LOL- I'm not often accused of being diplomatic so I'll take it!

I'm so excited to be onboard! I know Harvey could still cause issues, but I'm feeling more confident every minute that 3 weeks from now we'll be arriving at our pre-cruise hotel, preparing for a nice relaxing dinner before an early night in preparation for boarding the beauty Sunday morning!

Thanks so much Bury Me At Sea for all your help and info so far!

You're welcome for whatever I offered that was helpful. Looking out my windows right now I wish I had her booked soon. Alas it will be next summer, but on the bright side, it will be with three of my favorite people.

Happy sailing! I look forward to reading about your experiences and thoughts when you return.

Look on it this way. Not sure how it is at other ports, but in Galveston the cards are kept at a central part of the desk (at least they were the last time I sailed). When it comes time to give you your cards, the person checking you in has to walk away from their terminal to go get your cards. I'd guesstimate it takes roughly a minute if they are close to where the cards are kept, maybe two if they aren't. If there are 20 check in terminals, checking in 3000 guests, that's 150 minutes saved per terminal at a minimum. It will help the line move faster as check-in won't take as long. From what others have said, this seems to be what they are experiencing.

You went to the initial line before security where they check your IDs then went to the line where you got your cards. There were 2 lines. Now there's only the one out front right before the metal detectors.

I never went to a line BEFORE security. Not in NY and not in Baltimore. There was generally a person there but basically I just held up my boarding pass, they waved us through and then we got in a short line for security. Perhaps it pays to arrive early [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Forums