Hurricane question

slightlysilly

I'm watching this coverage of Harvey and I'm wondering... if I'm on one of the three ships unable to dock in Galveston, what's the best way to "prepare" for a hurricane on a cruise ship (and by that I mean insurance, maybe not parking my car at the port, but mostly insurance.) In this kind of situation, will the cruise lines help getting people from say, New Orleans to Galveston? Or are people for the most part on their own?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you choose to disembark in NO you will be on your own for transport unless the cruise line can arrange busing and the roads are clear.

Every circumstance is different, there are three things you can do to mitigate the effect.

1> Get insurance. In hurricane season especially this is not optional.

2> Carry at least 3-4 days extra supply of medicines you need (I carry a week)

3> Park your car on the highest covered deck of the garage if you can.

Everything else is deal with it as it comes.

Insurance is not going to get you to Galveston if the ship is at sea.

Insurance is not going to get you home on time.

I am sure some people will get off in New Orleans and risk life and limb to get to their cars in Galveston. I would stay on the ship. Safe bed and free food and maybe even free booze.

Here is the latest news I could find... could not find updates on the Carvival forum.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8028

I'm watching this coverage of Harvey and I'm wondering... if I'm on one of the three ships unable to dock in Galveston, what's the best way to "prepare" for a hurricane on a cruise ship (and by that I mean insurance, maybe not parking my car at the port, but mostly insurance.) In this kind of situation, will the cruise lines help getting people from say, New Orleans to Galveston? Or are people for the most part on their own?

If you disembark, you're on your own. They are in New Orleans because the port is CLOSED. If could not go to the port, even if you wanted to. You have to read your insurance to see if it covers what you want.

If the cruise line chooses to disembark at an alternate port they will arrange transportation, food, etc. for the extended time. Insurance is more for when you get hurt or sick and must leave the ship early because of your reasons, not the ship's reasons. Insurance covers you if a travel operator fails to get you to the ship on time for departure too.

Among other measures, carry 5 to 7 extra days' worth of personal medications as well as common OTC Rx, along with one's vitamins, contact lens cleaner & solutions. It's part of our compact but all hazards medical kit, including first aid supplies w. trauma pad for stopping blood loss & amputated limbs (little bandages can wait, as long as minor cuts are cleaned & given proper basic care) Remember that smartphone with camera/flash become a flashlight for emergencies, as long as you have access to portable/power source to recharge.

The cruise ship is the best shelter in place, a self-sustaining mini floating city for emergencies - it generate enough potable water & always have extra food supply ... rationed if necessary until re-provisioned.

Heads up for those along coastal Florida, there's a tropical disturbance, with 50% chance of becoming a cyclone early next week - heavy rain forecasted out to 24 to 48 hours.

When the Gem could not get into NYC because of Sandy, it went to Boston for supplies and Halloween. Hundreds got off the ship in Boston but were given nothing to get back to NYC, as the Gem pulled into NYC 2 days later.

The answer is it all depends.

Will the cruise line get you back to your vehicle? - Usually if they end the trip in a location other than where you embarked they arrange transportation. If they extend the cruise and you get off early you are usually on your own.

If you park your car at the port do it in a garage on an upper floor, toward the inside but NOT on the top. In this situation usually the worst that happens to the car is that you have to wait a few days to get it out.

Heads up for those along coastal Florida, there's a tropical disturbance, with 50% chance of becoming a cyclone early next week - heavy rain forecasted out to 24 to 48 hours.

That low is supposed to strengthen, if it does, once it gets out over the Atlantic after it exits Florida. It is probably more of an issue for the Carolinas according to the National Hurricane Center.

As of right now. 8PM CDT.

There are no flooded cruise ship parking lots. And none have flooded.That includes Lighthouse,Dolphin and Port parking.Only the roads are somewhat flooded.

Sunday can be completely different.

Sent from Samsung's Galaxy using speech to text

Stay on the ship.

We have cruised many times during the hurricane season. (Will be on two upcoming cruises before the current one is over.) As noted above, just be prepared to have your trip extended or changed in some way. Extra medication and anything else that is vital for you. If you get stuck in an airport, there is a great website called sleepinginairports dot net that has some good info for you. We have had a few cruises that ports were changed and one (on a Windjammer) that was shortened by one day. On each of these cruises we had full confidence that the cruise-line was making good and safe decisions and we enjoyed each and every one of the cruises.

The hard part is seeing what happens to those on land who can't get out of the way of the hurricane and intense rains. Watching what is happening to so many people in Texas is so difficult. Our prayers go out for all those affected.