Wristbands - Any word on NCL using them?

SuiteCruiser

On my recent RCI cruise, the suites were provided with wrist bands that worked as our key cards. You could also buy them at guest services for $5.

It was really convenient especially at the pool and I never used my key card.

I know MSC also has them, has anyone heard of NCL adding them?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NCL is about taking away from the passenger experience, not improving it.

In all seriousness, I haven't heard anything about NCL using any RFID for anything. We'll have to see what kind of key system Bliss uses. Does Joy use RFID cards for stateroom entry? Hopefully.

I personally like the idea. I hate the card because I gave to pull it from its pouch or have a hoke punched into it. I wear my watch 24/7 so having a RFID band on the other is no problem. Just walk up an run my wrist past the reader would be great.

I would also be happy if they just put the RFID in the card. Just like my work ID. Just swipe it by a reader and door opens.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I REALLY hope they do not. Wrist bands are a PITA for a one night concert etc let alone for a week long (or longer) cruise. Is it really all that hard to have your key card with you?

Just to be clear, I believe the OP is referring to a wristband similar to the Disney World MagicBands. Not the paper kind they put around your wrist when you attend a concert.

I brought the stretch wristbands for our group and had a hole punched in our cards at guest services. It was great and staff always knew which cards were ours.

I use those stretch wristbands at home. I keep my house and car keys, a store shopper's card, and a gym pass on it. I love using it for this.

But I wouldn't want to wear a key card on a stretch band during a cruise. I can just imagine a few people forgetting about the card dangling from their wrist while going through the buffet. That's not seasoning I'd like to try. :eek:

All inclusives use the plastic ones, no RFID, and you can't take them off. They pinch when you sleep and are annoying in the shower. If you remove them you have to wait in line at the front desk to get a new one and they act all annoyed about it.

Disney's is OK since you can remove it but it get's really sweaty in the heat. And it gets messy with sunscreen. It would be nice if they could get to a small RFI card the size of a keychain card. Then offer a wrist or lanyard version, and convert all their POS systems and the boarding system to tap the card instead of slide or insert, so you do not have to remove it from anything. Waiter or waitress has a portable scanner and reads card to pay for order. That would be fast and an improvement.

It's not a wrist band! It's like a Fitbit, but thinner, and it acts as your key card. Some people like it because it's easier to flash your wrist than carry a keycard, others prefer the cards.

RCCL includes them for some passengers, but also sells them for a nominal fee.

This is how rumours start...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the idea providing they are done correctly. We were at a music festival (5 days) and they used them. They worked perfectly, except for they way they were put on your wrist. If you got them too tight you could not loosen them. It got uncomfortable pretty quick. If you wanted it loosened you had to give them $20 for a new one.

As long as NCL doesn't do that they would be perfect. Hard to lose, don't have to worry about them getting wet, no more silly lanyards. Win - win.

I love the Disney MagicBands! I'd be happy if they were to get something like that.

I personally don't like them, I don't need Disney to track me and find out how long I stay at any venue or shop on any of their properties. Way too much Big Brother in that wristband.

a key card is hard? I can hardly wait to hear what those people say about driving a car!

I understand where they are coming from. RFID is easier then a key card. Not that the key card is hard... Just harder then RFID. Like my prior post. I use a pouch to hold my card so I don't need to worry about getting the card punched with a hole. As such every time I need to use it I have to dig it out. If I had a RFID band no worries. Just wave it. Don't even need my hands to be free.

I like the idea providing they are done correctly. We were at a music festival (5 days) and they used them. They worked perfectly, except for they way they were put on your wrist. If you got them too tight you could not loosen them. It got uncomfortable pretty quick. If you wanted it loosened you had to give them $20 for a new one.

As long as NCL doesn't do that they would be perfect. Hard to lose, don't have to worry about them getting wet, no more silly lanyards. Win - win.

These you simply put on and take off yourself, as you see fit. If it's too tight, it's because you put it on too tight, and so you take 2 seconds to fix it. As someone else mentioned, they are like a fitbit wristband.

I personally don't like them, I don't need Disney to track me and find out how long I stay at any venue or shop on any of their properties. Way too much Big Brother in that wristband.
I have nothing to hide, so it doesn't bother me in the least. If the data they collect gets them to add more stores that are of the type I like, then that's a bonus!

These you simply put on and take off yourself, as you see fit. If it's too tight, it's because you put it on too tight, and so you take 2 seconds to fix it. As someone else mentioned, they are like a fitbit wristband.

I have nothing to hide, so it doesn't bother me in the least. If the data they collect gets them to add more stores that are of the type I like, then that's a bonus!

You don't need RFID to be tracked. Many security cameras can do that today. Facial recognition is used and they can do the same thing. Same goes for your cell phones. Wifi and Bluetooth are also tracked even if you do not connect.

You would be surprised how many places use those two technologies for market research of their customers as well as traffic flows. Some airports track every person that walks past an airport shop or restaurant and then they set the rent they charge based on these traffic flows.

What does RFID stand for? I hate acronyms.

It's actually an initialism. An Acronym is one that the letters make a word and you don't just say the letters. Examples of an acronym are SCUBA, RADAR, UNICEF.

As for the actual bands, we were on the Anthem for our last 2 cruises. I really liked the wristband. Since we stayed in a suite they were included. I still carried my card and used it for drink purchases, but I liked being able to just swipe my wrist over the door lock and have it open. Since it had a buckle like a watch, I could put it on and remove it as I wanted to and make it as tight or loose as needed.