Clothes Irons

FiggyWig

So I've read clothes irons are among the prohibited items...even with the best packing skills (and mine aren't great) shirts can't help coming out of the case looking a little squished☹

So how do people tackle this ? Surely you don't have to send these items to the laundry just to get the creases out 🤔

Any tips out there ?

Hi--you will now get lots of info re creased clothes ie everybody has them etc.

There is something called "Downey? wrinkle release spray in USA that people use but I seem to recall people saying it is 1 part fabric softener (Comfort) and 3 parts water . That and hanging clothes in the bathroom while showering seems to help.

Another thing we have done is press clothes for first couple of nights if we have a pre cruise hotel.

Sorry can't be of more help

Liz

So I've read clothes irons are among the prohibited items...even with the best packing skills (and mine aren't great) shirts can't help coming out of the case looking a little squished☹

So how do people tackle this ? Surely you don't have to send these items to the laundry just to get the creases out 🤔

Any tips out there ?

Send dress shirts out to be pressed only. Costs about $3. Well worth it.

Take lots of knits - they don't wrinkle much, and what wrinkles there are hang out easily.

I take formal gowns, in a good garment bag, and with a day hung up they look fine. Other than that it's denim, cotton, knits. My husband's suit is a 'travel' suit with a good bit of polyester, it hardly wrinkles at all, and what wrinkles there are tend to hang out in a day. His other clothes tend to golf wear - shorts, polos, t-shirts, dockers. All travel well.

As for packing - get a decent garment bag and hang things that wrinkle in that. It's well worth the cost. Roll knits, hang dress clothes and pants in the garment bag, and fold everything else like they do in the stores. One other thing - I've found that a full suitcase wrinkles less because the clothes can't move around much. We take one checked bag each - one 24" and one spinner garment bag. And I overpack. Even so, neither bag is overweight, and we have more than enough clothes for the week.

OP, I see you are from the UK....If you visit Marks and Spencer's they have a range of short sleeved men's shirts. £20/30 range. Look for the ones listed as 'easy care or linen rich' .....you can tell by the soft feel of them which ones they are. Not only do they not crease much in packing, they are quite smart and easily rinse and dry without creasing over a balcony chair (whilst you are there of course). They also last well. No shares in M&S by the way!

For the ladies, that 'jersey' fabric is great!

We always expect to put an item or two in for pressing but we do have 'cruise clothes' which we have bought for their easy packing qualities....My favourites are my two cocktail dresses, one shake and they are smooth as silk! Only problem is they have been on too many chic night photos over the last few years!!!

Happy cruising!

You can make a homemade version of wrinkle release, since the Downy kind isn't available in the UK, unfortunately. Mix 1tsp of your favourite fabric softener with 8 oz of water in a spray bottle, and you're all set. As with the original, it's not good on silk or other fabrics that will show water spots.

We pack our cotton and linen shirts in a dry cleaner bag and fold them while in the bag. That helps some.

We hang our clothes up immediately. Some creases I swear wouldn't fall out actually do.

I have used a wash cloth to dampen a crease and use a hair dryer.

And after all that --- once we put it on and start walking around, it's forgotten and often just "wears" out. Every single person on the ship is in the situation. No one really cares.

I agree, a full suitcase helps. All those dry cleaner bags (I use one per item) help, they really do.

My husband has more shirts that wrinkle - I tend to bring a lot of those traveler's type knits.

I despise the smell of the wrinkle release products. I just mist my clothes with plain water before bed and by morning most of the wrinkles have straightened out. Since I like to pack light, I just bring the nozzle part of a good mister and dip it into a glass of water.

I put my dress shirts (non-iron wrinkle free) into the plastic dry cleaning bag, I find this helps a little. Then, hang the shirt in the bathroom when the shower is on at hot temperature. The steam helps get some of the wrinkles out.

Other than that... I tend to take the "oh well, I'll just be a little wrinkled" approach. I'm on vacation, not a job interview! :P

I despise the smell of the wrinkle release products. I just mist my clothes with plain water before bed and by morning most of the wrinkles have straightened out. Since I like to pack light, I just bring the nozzle part of a good mister and dip it into a glass of water.

Ooh, great idea! I'm going to try that.

Any tips out there ?

I once or twice have asked the room attendant for an iron & ironing board as soon as the luggage arrives. I quickly "press" out the most wrinkled items, then reach out for the room steward and return the iron/board so others can borrow it. (I understand there's just a few to loan out). I assume this option still exists.

I once or twice have asked the room attendant for an iron & ironing board as soon as the luggage arrives. I quickly "press" out the most wrinkled items, then reach out for the room steward and return the iron/board so others can borrow it. (I understand there's just a few to loan out). I assume this option still exists.

Not on Celebrity .. Option never existed

Wrinkles? I use Vodka. A spritz on your clothes helps get the wrinkles out; a lot in your stomach insures you don't care. :evilsmile:

What a great idea....not a vodka fan, however, will cognac work as well?

Make sure when you pack your bag that the items that wrinkle the most are in a plastic dry cleaning bag, folded once on top of everything else. Helps minimize wrinkles. If you get wrinkles hang the offending item on the bathroom hook while you take a relaxing hot shower, no more wrinkles.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wouldn't try it. Vodka is basically pure alcohol, with no coloring. It evaporates leaving no flavor or color. Cognac doesn't.

I was thinking more of the 'in my stomach so I don't care....' part of the advice!