Power bar confiscated

BayouDoc

... t was my heated throw that, um, threw them. :p Anyway, in the process, they also discovered my power strip ...
Can you elaborate or be more specific, was your power strip - one of the many with circuit protection/switching and/or surge suppressor ?

Your electric throw blanket and power strip was in your checked luggage; and, flagged by security screening - not in your carry-on ... and called back downstairs to open your bag for a visual inspection ? Thanks.

I bring an extension cord for my BiPAP machine and never had a problem but I've never brought a power bar or surge protector since we don't have a need for it. We only charge our camera and we leave our laptops at home and turn off our mobile phones and throw them in the safe...it's nice to unplug for a week.

Can you elaborate or be more specific, was your power strip - one of the many with circuit protection/switching and/or surge suppressor ?

Your electric throw blanket and power strip was in your checked luggage; and, flagged by security screening - not in your carry-on ... and called back downstairs to open your bag for a visual inspection ? Thanks.

No, it was not a surge protector. Just a power strip. As for the throw, it never occurred to me that the wires would cause a problem since it had made it through the airport just fine. I never thought to bring it in my carry-on. Lesson learned.

So glad I return to these boards before my next cruises. This is new, already had it on my packing list. Guess time to update my packing list :)

new to you... possibly.

is this a new policy? No.. very old policy . been a few years

So anything with cords need to be in your carry on? (I use a sound machine-a "sleep mate" to sleep at night). I was going to put it in my suitcase. They did question it at security check point in my carry-on last time, but let it through. I thought I would avoid that hassle and put it in my suitcase this time, but sounds like that is not a good idea. (I am glad that I can take my protein (power) bars tho!)

I thought you were talking about a snack at first! Couldn't imagine why you would care to wait in line to get it back. :')

I am so glad I am not the only person that thought the OP was talking about a snack.

https://mrose.org/cc/SurgeProtectiveDevices-2.pdf

Short version: Household surge protectors were designed to work on household electrical systems. Electrical systems on ships are very different. Surge protection-equipped devices can malfunction internally, resulting in fire, or fail to protect the circuit correctly during a fault condition, resulting in fire.

Thank you triptolemus for providing this important information.

technically it says it has a surge suppressor so its not allowed (I know you brought it on but they can confiscate it)

Having done a lot of research on these things for the benefit of CC members, I have found that descriptions of items on third party sales sites like Amazon cannot be taken as gospel, and even going to the manufacturer's site can lead to inaccurate information. Most of these "pure" USB charging hubs (no 120v power outlets) have a two prong plug. Without a ground pin, the unit cannot have surge protection, as by definition surge protection shunts the excess voltage to ground. What these manufacturers call "surge protection" (since that is a "sexy" marketing term that everyone knows) is really "voltage regulation", which instead of dumping excess voltage to ground, merely shuts off the output of the USB charger, when the input voltage gets too high that it would output too high a voltage.

So, big key is to look at the plug: two prong US plug is fine, three prong US plug you need to look further at the fine print on the unit for words like "joules of protection" or "clamping voltage" or a small LED light marked "protected", as any of these will indicate surge protection. So, a three prong plug on a USB charger does not automatically make it surge protected, but a two prong plug makes it automatically not surge protected.

A power bar is an item which I have seen recommended on this board many times. I have always brought one (I am platinum) without problem. My power bar was seized from my carry-on in Seattle Aug. 13th. I had to stand in line the last night of the cruise to get it back. This seems to be a new policy, at least it is to me, and I will no longer bring power bars or extension cords along.

Was it a power bar or a surge protector. I suspect that it was a surge protector. They take those all the time. I have never heard of them taking an extension cord or a power strip.

Me too! I was like holy crap, a granola bar?! This is completely out of control :)

I bring snacks, candy, gum, junk for my kids and husband all the time.

I know "they" think extension cords are fire hazards. I also think on the modern ships there are enough outlets. You should be able to somehow manage without a power strip.

Having done a lot of research on these things for the benefit of CC members, I have found that descriptions of items on third party sales sites like Amazon cannot be taken as gospel, and even going to the manufacturer's site can lead to inaccurate information. Most of these "pure" USB charging hubs (no 120v power outlets) have a two prong plug. Without a ground pin, the unit cannot have surge protection, as by definition surge protection shunts the excess voltage to ground. What these manufacturers call "surge protection" (since that is a "sexy" marketing term that everyone knows) is really "voltage regulation", which instead of dumping excess voltage to ground, merely shuts off the output of the USB charger, when the input voltage gets too high that it would output too high a voltage.

So, big key is to look at the plug: two prong US plug is fine, three prong US plug you need to look further at the fine print on the unit for words like "joules of protection" or "clamping voltage" or a small LED light marked "protected", as any of these will indicate surge protection. So, a three prong plug on a USB charger does not automatically make it surge protected, but a two prong plug makes it automatically not surge protected.

you've mentioned this before to me and I agree but some of the people who look through the luggage are not the sharpest tools in the shed. they might not care about 2 or 3 prongs. if they 'think' its a surge suppressor... they will hold it and I dont think they will listen to 2 prong vs 3 prong discussion.

The one I posted is 2 prong. That's good. I was gonna be very annoyed. Lol

you've mentioned this before to me and I agree but some of the people who look through the luggage are not the sharpest tools in the shed. they might not care about 2 or 3 prongs. if they 'think' its a surge suppressor... they will hold it and I dont think they will listen to 2 prong vs 3 prong discussion.

While I agree that the security screeners are not technically trained, I haven't heard of them taking pure USB chargers like the one in question. And, if they did, I would not argue with them, but go to security when onboard and ask to discuss your charger, and have a ship's engineer present. Because regardless of what Amazon or Anker puts in their promotional information, nothing physically on these units says they are surge protected.

No you can either charge when you are sleeping or take a card from a deck of cards to use in place of your key card to keep the power on while our..I hear a blood donor card or similar will work too. Hate to be held hostage by our power sucking appliances on a cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"If the majority of you use an electrical power bar mainly for charging cellphones, tablets and other mobile devices., it might be good to know that on most NCL ships that has undergone major renovations lately, they have now installed several "charging stations" for mobile devices in the cabins. We were on the Jade last month, in a standard inside cabin, and had three different "charging stations". One on each of the lamps that were bedside and one below the TV. Very convenient!"

Also TVs have USB ports, although I didn't try them as the 3 USB ports available worked for us.

No you can either charge when you are sleeping or take a card from a deck of cards to use in place of your key card to keep the power on while our..I hear a blood donor card or similar will work too. Hate to be held hostage by our power sucking appliances on a cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Only the megaships need that card thing for power.

And even doing that, the cabin steward will still unplug anything being charged if no one is in the room.