Wine fee

brownie9

Wine?

When I bring wine on board, is there a corkage fee then or if we ask to have it opened in our cabin or at dinner. If I open it myself, is there still a charge?

You are entitled to bring one 750ml bottle of wine pp. to be consumed in your cabin. Anything above that you pay a corkage fee of I believe $15/bottle regardless. You can take it to the DR and they will open it for you. I believe when you board they place a sticker on the bottles to denote they are charged the corkage fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you board, you are allowed one 750ml bottle per adult (up to 2 per cabin) to be carried on. At embarkation, there is no charge for these bottles. If you drink them in your cabin (stewards have corkscrews) there is no charge. If you bring one or both to the dining room, there is a $15 fee for opening them.

For any additional bottles, there is $15 corkage fee collect at the top of the gangway. These bottles can be brought to the dining room with no additional charge.

When you board, you are allowed one 750ml bottle per adult (up to 2 per cabin) to be carried on. At embarkation, there is no charge for these bottles. If you drink them in your cabin (stewards have corkscrews) there is no charge. If you bring one or both to the dining room, there is a $15 fee for opening them.

For any additional bottles, there is $15 corkage fee collect at the top of the gangway. These bottles can be brought to the dining room with no additional charge.

On embarkation, you will encounter a "wine table" prior to check-in and there is where you pay the corkage for any bottles over the free allotment. When re-boarding at a port, there is often an alcohol declaration table. But many report re-boarding with wine and either no one attending or caring about wine. Or paying attention. Or passenger ignores, etc. But technically, will still face corkage fee if bring unopened to the DR or a bar.

Wine?

When I bring wine on board, is there a corkage fee then or if we ask to have it opened in our cabin or at dinner. If I open it myself, is there still a charge?

To answer your specific last question, even if you bring a bottle to dinner, along with your own corkscrew and open it there, you should technically be charged the corkage. Cannot say how individual waiters will react. Other than if they see you they will want to rush over to assist as it is their job afterall.

Now if you open it in the cabin and re-fit the cork and head off to dinner, you should still technically be charged according to Princess' policy (by the "letter of the law" so to speak).

Again, your results may vary, depending on how waiter reacts.

Going one step further... you open new bottle in cabin. You and spouse have a tipple while getting ready for dinner and now you bring the partially consumed bottle to dinner. No way to know when/where it was opened and it is very doubtful your waiter will grill you as to the provenance of that bottle in order to determine if he should prepare a corkage chit for you to sign.

Capiche?

PS - A little searching will reveal countless threads on bringing wine on board and what folks do to get it ahead of time, how they transport it, how they consume it, etc, etc. Happy hunting.

PS2 - It's one of the great things with Princess, so don't mess it up.

We just carry a glass of wine each to the dining room & avoid any charges at all.

No one ever questions anyone walking around with drinks.

That's what we do too. We also bring our own corkscrew, It resides permanently in my toiletry bag.

There is no limit per cabin. Four passengers over 21 in a cabin can carry on 1 bottle each at no charge.

"Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage."

As other have mentioned, you can bring one bottle per adult without being charged the fee. That bottle, if taken to a dining room will be charged a service charge/corkage fee. However, if you bring more than one bottle per adult you will pay the corkage fee up front, prior to boarding and they will put a sticker on your bottle. If you happen to take a bottle with a sticker to the MDR, you won't be charged a second corkage fee for that bottle. At least, that's how it worked for us, the time we took many bottles and paid our corkage fees up front.

The only inconvenience is that the bottles must all be brought on as carry on.

Edited by jennybenny
carry on comment

Most of the wines I bring have screw tops + they're all inexpensive wines.

There are some very nice wines with screw tops. A screw top doesn't necessarily mean it's a cheap wine these days.

Can I bring a bottle of wine back on when we stop at a port, without corkage fee, if I brought one on at original embarkation?

Real world conditions may vary but, in general, if you bring a bottle apiece onboard at a port other than your original embarkation port you won't be charged a fee.

We just carry a glass of wine each to the dining room & avoid any charges at all.

No one ever questions anyone walking around with drinks.

Works great for us!

Just carry your glass right on into dinner!

Enjoy🍷

There are some very nice wines with screw tops. A screw top doesn't necessarily mean it's a cheap wine these days.

Real world conditions may vary but, in general, if you bring a bottle apiece onboard at a port other than your original embarkation port you won't be charged a fee.

Agree on both points.

Last February, in Honolulu, we stopped and bought several bottles of our favorite wine and when we checked back on to the ship, the employees monitoring the booze patrol were on a cigarette break so the security folks passed us through, indicating the corkage fee would be charged if we took them outside our cabin to be opened. Because our favorite wine, plus corkage fee, was far cheaper than comparable wines on board, we took them to dinner each time and were charged the corkage fee and stickers attached in the event the bottle lasted through the meal. :')

Last February, in Honolulu, we stopped and bought several bottles of our favorite wine and when we checked back on to the ship, the employees monitoring the booze patrol were on a cigarette break so the security folks passed us through, indicating the corkage fee would be charged if we took them outside our cabin to be opened. Because our favorite wine, plus corkage fee, was far cheaper than comparable wines on board, we took them to dinner each time and were charged the corkage fee and stickers attached in the event the bottle lasted through the meal. :')

That is our attitude, also. We have found that, for the most part, Princess security personnel will tell us to enjoy our wine and assess no fee. However, should they wish to assess us, it is well worth the very reasonable $15.