Cruising with green card.

Amarei

I have a green card and cruising in November on Escape. I do have a passport from my origin country ( Russia) but it expired and I won't be able to renew it on time. I am also in a process to get my US citizenship ( already did fingerprints and waiting for my interview). Everywhere I read it seems like I only need my GC and DL to board the ship.

Can someone who cruised with green card confirm it?

I have a green card and cruising in November on Escape. I do have a passport from my origin country ( Russia) but it expired and I won't be able to renew it on time. I am also in a process to get my US citizenship ( already did fingerprints and waiting for my interview). Everywhere I read it seems like I only need my GC and DL to board the ship.

Congratulations on your path to citizenship. I will speak from experience. When i had my GC i still had to carry my passport specially if i visited other countries, unless there is a specific guideline with cruise lines that you can just carry your DL and Green card to be on the ship, you would still need a valid passport to carry with you on the ports where you will be visiting, does that make sense? which means if the cruise line allows you to get on board you would not be able to leave the ship. The green card is only good when entering the United States all other countries you still need a valid passport, maybe this has changed and if it has then i hope is in your favor. Unless you are just doing the Hawaii cruise which in that case all you would need is your DL and green card since is the document you have to carry with you at all times. I hope this helps.

Good luck

Not sure I can confirm but my wife is a Permanent Resident Cardholder and cruised a few weeks ago on the Escape. We used her Permanent Resident Card for identification for online check-in but NCL reviewed both her passport and the id card at the pier. Not sure if that helps but wanted to share our experience.

I suggest that you get the official word from NCL instead of relying on the various responses you'l get here. We sail with friends who hold Indian passports and a US green card. They're always asked for their passport and green card when they check-in. But, I'm not sure that they're required to do so.

Closed loop cruise from Miami. Going to The Bahamas, St Thomas and Tortola.

Those are countries with less of an issue - but without a valid passport, it might be different. Call and check.

Do not tell them you have a passport as they might assume it is valid and you can get a wrong answer. For just about anything, an expired passport is the same as no passport. (sort of crazy, unless you have expired, it is still you...lol)

I was always asked to have a VALID passport ( not expired) and green card to travel. Once my native passport expired i did not travel anymore until i received my American Citizenship, back then it was the case with cruise lines as well, they required i had non expired passport and my green card to get on board and as i said before maybe things have changed, so like garycarla says i would check

This is what I am finding...

U.S. Alien Resident Card (ARC) Holders

U. S. Alien Residents holding an ARC, also known as a "Green Card" may travel to Mexico and the Caribbean with just their valid ARC and Proof of Identity. However, it’s recommended that these guests also carry their passports from their country of citizenship if available.

The above post seems to have come the NCL page and it does appear elsewhere online (with a search).

Whatever you do - TAKE your green card. Somebody awhile back tried to cruise without their Green Card. Who in the world would think you could get back into the country without it? Link

And here is some official information from the gov.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/international-travel-permanent-resident

When my wife was a Green Card holder we always checked with the country we were visiting on the rules for passport/visa. I would bet money if you call NCL 5 times and ask the same question 5 times you will get at least 3 answers that are not the same. You have multiple parties involved here, the USA, the home country passport, the country visited and NCL can set there own rules. You need to check with each before you travel.

Never leave the USA without your Green Card. Traveling on an expired Passport, not sure about that but it would seem that it is expired and has no use or value, that is why it has an expiration date.

I know many people on a cruise travel without a Passport but I think this is very risky to do. If you ever need to return to the USA, emergency/health via a 3rd country it will be a very expensive and delayed trip without that Passport. The chances are small that this will happen but it can and does happen. For adults Passport fees average less than $13 a year for the life of the Passport, 10, years and a little more cost per year for under age 16. Many think they do not need this and they spend thousands on cruises.

Do you want to trust others or do good research for yourself?

This is just my opinion, everyone is free to do what they think is best.

Closed loop is good since you have a WHTI-compliant document. St Thomas is fine since you are in the USVI. Please see the "Entry, Exit, & Visa Requirements" tabs in the following links and read thoroughly to make an informed decision. For what it's worth, I was once told by a CBP officer that an expired passport is better than no passport at all.

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

Travel to The Bahamas

Travel to Tortola

.... For what it's worth, I was once told by a CBP officer that an expired passport is better than no passport at all. ...

I would agree. Just like having a copy of your passport that some folks carry when ashore. Not the real thing, but if you get into a situation where a "judgement call" has to be made by the person in front of you, it could help. I know some folks believe everything is exactly one way, but judgement calls are made often.

Like for example, do you know you can fly with a valid ID? True-check the TSA website. You may be hassled and delayed, but it is not a requirement.

1. Where are you boarding?
  2. What are your ports of call?
  3. Where are you disembarking?

This has nothing to do with OP's question since OP is not a US citizen. OP does not have a valid passport. The question that has to be answered is can a green card holder leave the country and return without a valid passport from their home country.

This has nothing to do with OP's question since OP is not a US citizen. OP does not have a valid passport. The question that has to be answered is can a green card holder leave the country and return without a valid passport from their home country.

Yep, that's my question.... Seams like I can...

It has everything to do with providing an informed answer.

Call the cruise line. Many years ago my husband misplaced his passport just before we left on our honeymoon cruise. He was a permanent resident at the time. He was able to use his permanent residency card and drivers license. If there is time I suggest getting the passport renewed. But call the cruise line.

It absolutely has everything to do with the OP's question. US regulations are not the problem...a valid green card is sufficient for the OP to board the cruise and return to the US under US regulations...BUT...it may not be sufficient for admission to the countries being visited. Some countries require the traveler to also have a valid passport from their country of citizenship, and in some cases a visa may also be required.

Please read the following from US CBP, https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1191/~/traveling-outside-of-the-u.s.---documents-needed-for-lawful-permanent-residents

which explains the requirements. In particular note the following from the cited web page:

"United States (U.S.) LPRs do not need a passport to enter the U.S. as per 8 CFR 211.1(a), however, they may need a passport to enter another country. Please contact the embassy of the foreign country you will be traveling to for their requirements."

Sort of true. But there is always more to the story.

The OP has to deal with any immigration issues of countries that the cruise will be visiting. If they lack certain documents, the cruise line might not even let them board. This happens at airports for intl flights quite often.

Out of curiosity, mainly because it forces us to input it- did you not have to enter a passport # when you booked your trip? Perhaps it's because we are currently in Canada- that we had to. We never cruised when my husband held green card status in the US. We didn't travel outside the US for many years then (6) and we had to file 2x (we moved and they did not get update of address as they moved our file at same time to another location so his first application was considered abandoned since he missed his interview lol). Even after all was said and done we never did travel to anywhere but within North America- til we cruised last year and again that was as Canadians x3 and myself who was not yet naturalized.

So i guess, I'm wondering if US bookings don't require a passport while booking?

...So i guess, I'm wondering if US bookings don't require a passport while booking?

US citizens booking in the US for a "closed loop" cruise do not require a passport. Birth Cert and other ID such as a drivers lic will work for those people.

US citizens booking in the US for a "closed loop" cruise do not require a passport. Birth Cert and other ID such as a drivers lic will work for those people.

True. We are British citizens and had to present our passports on all closed loop cruises, including the CTN ones.

OP is not yet a US Citizen so she does need a valid passport to accompany her green card.

If you are doing a Caribbean cruise you only need your green card- not even a driver's license.

Just want to clarify since you are doing a Caribbean cruise from the US and the other posts have different information. YOU ABSOLUTELY ONLY NEED A GREEN CARD. No passport, no DL needed to board the ship, get off in ports, get back into the US.