How far has Oceania "Dumbed Down" or made Bland, the taste of it's Culinary Offering!

St Paul Girl

Now I'm really looking forward to my HAL cruise in February; never heard of Swiss Chalet but I suspect it's a frozen food brand featuring Chicken and not to be missed Salisbury Steak; must try some and compare. :o

Google Swiss chalet

it is a restaurant chain in Canada

I agree with you 100%! It's not necessarily the "heat" but the proper use of spices that make a culinary statement. From a simple dry rub(cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, brown sugar and garlic and onion powder) on a steak or garlic in a red sauce, all add to the taste experience.

Try the dry rub on a steak, no need to add anything to that steak but a nice Cabernet!

This is an example of why discussions of food are highly individual and, ultimately, pointless. One of the two examples of what you consider to be a positive addition to a steak is, to me, an abomination. If anyone were to serve me a steak that had been anywhere within three feet of brown sugar, I'd send it back to the kitchen.

Scientists have been studying individual perceptions of salty, bitter, sweet, and sour and have found a 30% variation in how people perceive the same amount of salt or sugar, etc. I'm someone who is at the highly sensitive end of the spectrum for sweetness. That means I find most of the dishes at Red Ginger unacceptably sweet. But, at least, going in to Red Ginger I understand that I'm going to have to order carefully since Asian food is expected to include sweetness to balance the salty, acid, and bitter. Unfortunately, food that is going to please the chef and most of other cruisers is going to taste like dessert to me.

To think that sugar might start showing up on red meat is both bewildering and depressing.

There isn't a single restaurant in the world that can claim to accommodate the tastes of every one of its patrons. Why should the restaurants aboard Oceania be any different? If you think the food is bland, ask for the pepper grinder or ask for some of the many available hot sauces or ask for an extra wedge of lemon or... (The people who are complaining about bland food can reassure ourselves that bland is easier to correct than overly or ineptly seasoned.)

Let's not pretend any one of us has the perfect palate and that our preferences are any more right than the preferences of the other people who sail on Oceania.

The main recent thread I believe you are referring to ran its course fading out to a discussion of what is a Caesar salad and some regional differences, that's all. Tempest tamed.

I think all the repeated posts of bland food is from the same poster who is also really mad about "geriatrics" ruining his or her tour. And is for some reason is concerned that they wear diapers and whine. I think that is where the recent whining of bland food is coming from. perhaps you've seen more reports from others that might lend some credibility but like others I see no beed more a new thread, just get the old one back on topic if you have something to add.

Plus 1. Check the source. Complaint after complaint

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My god...the girl was looking for thoughts and observations about the food on Oceania, not attacks.

We are taking our first Oceania Cruise in November and I admit, I have been a lurker and now I know why. I have never seen such viciousness and disdain for a simple question/comment.

It's no wonder Oceania is losing customers and can't fill their ships. If I had to deal with most of you on this board, I'd jump ship too!

Thank you to those who gave constructive and informative replies. We too were concerned about the comments we seem to see all over the internet about the lack of quality in Oceania's food as of recently. We went with Oceania due to the itinerary and food plus we wanted to try another line.

I'm certain many of you will "attack" my posting for being critical of the nastiness, however, the difference between me and you, is I don't know you and don't want to know most of you. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

This is an example of why discussions of food are highly individual and, ultimately, pointless. One of the two examples of what you consider to be a positive addition to a steak is, to me, an abomination. If anyone were to serve me a steak that had been anywhere within three feet of brown sugar, I'd send it back to the kitchen.

Scientists have been studying individual perceptions of salty, bitter, sweet, and sour and have found a 30% variation in how people perceive the same amount of salt or sugar, etc. I'm someone who is at the highly sensitive end of the spectrum for sweetness. That means I find most of the dishes at Red Ginger unacceptably sweet. But, at least, going in to Red Ginger I understand that I'm going to have to order carefully since Asian food is expected to include sweetness to balance the salty, acid, and bitter. Unfortunately, food that is going to please the chef and most of other cruisers is going to taste like dessert to me.

To think that sugar might start showing up on red meat is both bewildering and depressing.

There isn't a single restaurant in the world that can claim to accommodate the tastes of every one of its patrons. Why should the restaurants aboard Oceania be any different? If you think the food is bland, ask for the pepper grinder or ask for some of the many available hot sauces or ask for an extra wedge of lemon or... (The people who are complaining about bland food can reassure ourselves that bland is easier to correct than overly or ineptly seasoned.)

Let's not pretend any one of us has the perfect palate and that our preferences are any more right than the preferences of the other people who sail on Oceania.

Good points, well said.

My god...the girl was looking for thoughts and observations about the food on Oceania, not attacks.

We are taking our first Oceania Cruise in November and I admit, I have been a lurker and now I know why. I have never seen such viciousness and disdain for a simple question/comment.

It's no wonder Oceania is losing customers and can't fill their ships. If I had to deal with most of you on this board, I'd jump ship too!

Thank you to those who gave constructive and informative replies. We too were concerned about the comments we seem to see all over the internet about the lack of quality in Oceania's food as of recently. We went with Oceania due to the itinerary and food plus we wanted to try another line.

I'm certain many of you will "attack" my posting for being critical of the nastiness, however, the difference between me and you, is I don't know you and don't want to know most of you. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Interesting first post on cc. Apparently you did not read the other thread that led to this one. The op was not being criticized at all. The op was being reassured that most of us do not agree with the poster on a different thread who made certain observations about the food being bland and tasteless

Before you go on a rant on these boards always good to know the context

I don't think oceania is losing customers. Do you have a source for that statement? If so please share

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you very much for your informed comment.

The comments here are mostly from persons who exclusively sail with Oceania and have only their experience with Oceania for comparison.

I said, we choose this cruise primarily because of the itinery. I had already booked a Princess cruise but cancelled when my TA said that Oceania had a 21 day cruise at the same per diem rate as Oceania and many more interesting ports.

We will write a detailed review when we get back. Will the food be a focus, Yes it will and it will be compared to other cruise lines, Princess and Celebrity, but more importantly, to outside restaurants.

And to all of the posters who said that I was "complaining"?????????

Please read any of my posts. Also, please let me know about your "culinary" experience before you even think of commenting. You have to compare your comments to something else before they can be legitimate.

Cyber bullies, you know who you are, save it for who you really are!

The comments here are mostly from persons who exclusively sail with Oceania and have only their experience with Oceania for comparison.

How would you know? This is the Oceania cruise board. Occasionally, someone might mention a land trip or a trip on another cruise line, but, frankly, when the latter happens and the topic is food, the majority of the posters give the win to Oceania.

Will the food be a focus, Yes it will and it will be compared to other cruise lines, Princess and Celebrity, but more importantly, to outside restaurants.

Your focus on food, especially land restaurants bewilders me. Cruising is the best way to effortlessly visit lots of destinations. Any other features are bonuses: easy accessible to on-board entertainment, steps away from excellent food, unpacking once, etc. But cruising isn't the best way to visit a destination. And cruising isn't the best way to experience the food of the countries you're visiting. Why set up a contest where every and any cruise line is going to lose to land restaurants?

Most of the criticism has focused on your original premise. You accepted the premise that Oceania's food was bland and proceeded to offer a prescription for fixing the problem. Most replies said that premise was simply not true. If posters don't even agree with your premise, why should they embrace your solutions? (And, as many have pointed out, the loudest and most freqent poster who complains about Oceania's food is a habitual complainer on any topic.)

Also, please let me know about your "culinary" experience before you even think of commenting.

Should I include my credit score, too?

"How would you know? This is the Oceania cruise board. Occasionally, someone might mention a land trip or a trip on another cruise line, but, frankly, when the latter happens and the topic is food, the majority of the posters give the win to Oceania."

Ditto.

For what it's worth I've recently cruised on both HAL and Cunard. The food on Oceania is easily better than what those two lines offer.

Not having sailed on Oceania before, you have no way of knowing this, but the food on Oceania starts at a level which makes a comparison with Princess vaguely insulting.

Celebrity tries, but the lure of keeping costs at RCCL levels keep all but their Specialty Restaurants in check, food-wise.

If you are a true "foodie" I believe that you will be very very pleased.

Not having sailed on Oceania before, you have no way of knowing this, but the food on Oceania starts at a level which makes a comparison with Princess vaguely insulting.

Celebrity tries, but the lure of keeping costs at RCCL levels keep all but their Specialty Restaurants in check, food-wise.

If you are a true "foodie" I believe that you will be very very pleased.

Thanks Jim and Stan. From what I have read of your comments, I respect that advise.

Good Bye Oceania discussion group until we return.

As my South American friends say: Hasta La Vista amigo!

We'll agree to disagree. The OP claimed the food on Oceania was bland, mentioning the thread of Caesar salad as evidence. She said her purpose in starting the thread was to communicate to corporate Oceania so they would fix the problem. That's not the same as looking for thoughts and observations about the food on Oceania.

I agree you cannot compare cruise line food with land restaurants ..well you can compare but it will be an exercise in futility

The OP has already set herself up for failure hope she enjoys the itinerary

JMO

I was not impressed in May on Regatta. Neither was my cruise mate or about 3 other people we spoke to regarding the food (including a travel agent); though most seemed to think it was great. It wasn't really any different than the standard cruise lines to my palate and the Caesar salad was basic at best. I also hate liquid eggs -- even the fun ship cracks 'em fresh at the omelet bar. The service, crew and ship were outstanding though. My best overall food experience in the last 10 years was definitely Windstar.

If you are lucky enough to have the Indian Dinner scheduled in The Terrace -- do not miss it. While the vindalooo will not melt your tonsils, it certainly has not been dumbed down. It left a pleasantly warm glow.

I say don't miss it because there were a number of people who came in, saw the choices (many Indian foods and some that weren't) and spun on their heel and left huffing about 'not eating that stuff'. Too bad. Their loss.

Absolutely the worst food I've ever had on Oceania.

How would you know? This is the Oceania cruise board. Occasionally, someone might mention a land trip or a trip on another cruise line, but, frankly, when the latter happens and the topic is food, the majority of the posters give the win to Oceania.

Your focus on food, especially land restaurants bewilders me. Cruising is the best way to effortlessly visit lots of destinations. Any other features are bonuses: easy accessible to on-board entertainment, steps away from excellent food, unpacking once, etc. But cruising isn't the best way to visit a destination. And cruising isn't the best way to experience the food of the countries you're visiting. Why set up a contest where every and any cruise line is going to lose to land restaurants?

Most of the criticism has focused on your original premise. You accepted the premise that Oceania's food was bland and proceeded to offer a prescription for fixing the problem. Most replies said that premise was simply not true. If posters don't even agree with your premise, why should they embrace your solutions? (And, as many have pointed out, the loudest and most freqent poster who complains about Oceania's food is a habitual complainer on any topic.)

YOU are NASTY. Twirl away, honey....

So Nasty...So Rude.

Why continue with this Thread, this subject has been beat to death on this and many past forums. Some think the Food is the best thing since Apple Pie, others have the opposit opinion. Please let this rest. Go on an Oceania Cruise and make your own mind

LOL!

Three posts on CC and they are all in this thread.

Do you by any chance live in Canada?

Unless Maryland has succeeded the Big 50 and been accepted into Canada I don't think so. The only thing wrong with her posts is that they assume CCers equate with ordinary cruisers when the rest of us know that we are the raw end of a genteel bunch. Oceania cruisers are, IMOBOAK, at least as welcoming as those in other lines.

As to the original topic it is problematic for reasons others have stated - varying tastes - and as with food ratings sights like Yelp, unless you are familiar with a reviewers tastes in food and they match yours you should not give them much credence.

Unless Maryland has succeeded the Big 50 and been accepted into Canada I don't think so. The only thing wrong with her posts is that they assume CCers equate with ordinary cruisers when the rest of us know that we are the raw end of a genteel bunch. Oceania cruisers are, IMOBOAK, at least as welcoming as those in other lines.

As to the original topic it is problematic for reasons others have stated - varying tastes - and as with food ratings sights like Yelp, unless you are familiar with a reviewers tastes in food and they match yours you should not give them much credence.

I'm pretty sure that CC doesn't geolocate and that you can put anything you want into that data field.

Just seems odd that this seems to be a new userID that was created solely to defend the OP...