Alternate Airports To Newark Close to Port Liberty Cruise Terminal

curlyjag

Hi All,

We are looking at flights from Toronto to Newark and it appears the vast majority are out of the Island Airport with Porter Airlines. Because we live in the west end it doesn't make much sense to travel into and out of the city with this airline. Unfortunately, the Toronto Airport (YYZ) have very few flights to Newark but lots to LGA and JFK at a much more reasonable price.

Would it make sense to fly direct to LGA or JFK and, if so, is there a shuttle from these airports to the cruise terminal?

First timer here on Cruise Critic. Thanks for any suggestions/advice.

Cheers!

We always fly in a day early, even if we are in the same time zone - flight delays, weather, who knows what can happen, and the distance from LGA or JFK to New Jersey can have so much traffic I'd be very nervous.

If you fly in the night before, stay at LGA or JFK, or if you have enough time to enjoy Manhattan why not do that? Then you can go to the pier on the day with fewer worries. You can look up how much a shuttle or car service would be from the NY airports to Cape Liberty. We always use Dial 7 and they are about $70 from Manhattan to Cape Liberty all in (tolls, taxes, tip).

I would suggest JFK. LGA is having crowds due to construction. The ride from JFK to Port Liberty is about 45 minutes. But per others suggestions if you could fly in a couple of days before and enjoy Manhattan- that would be great. If you fly in advance, NJ isn't exactly the best place to stay. Near the cruise port, not anything to do and not easy to get to manhattan.

Writing from the NY area to you.....

Try very hard to fly into Newark. It can be quite difficult to transfer to New Jersey from JFK or LGA. If you are arriving the same day as your cruise departs.....don't even think about any airport but Newark.

We live near JFK and LGA and we avoid Newark airport at all costs. What should have been a 90 minute trip home from Newark one evening took over 4 hours due to construction, accidents traffic. Welcome to NYC traffic jams!!

Newark and the cruise port is at least 60 minutes away from LGA and 90 from JFK under the best circumstances.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. The CC community is a good source of information and most posters are well intentioned with a wealth of knowledge.

Most cruisers will always recommend that you fly in the night before the cruise. A well traveled couple that I've cruised with before fly in from Milwaukee into Newark and stay in Staten Island in the Hilton Garden Inn. It's comfortable, reasonably close ride from the airport and to Cape Liberty. It's not in the heartbeat of the action if that's what you're looking for.

Another place you might consider staying is in the Newport area of Jersey City. There are some lovely hotels there that would keep you reasonably close to Cape Liberty. It's possible to go to and from Manhattan by PATH train from there.

LGA is the airport closest to Manhattan and handles mostly domestic U.S. flights except for Canada. It's a fixed rate ($ 65 ?) taxi ride into Manhattan. You can get a bus at a more reasonable rate into Manhattan. As a native I would not recommend taking public transportation. Great way to ruin the start of your vacation. Making a fun night or two in Manhattan would be a great way to start your trip (besides we can use the money). As another poster stated you can get Dial 7 service to Cape Liberty.

JFK is located the furthest from Manhattan and New Jersey and again I never recommend public transportation to the uninitiated. Taxi fare to Manhattan is again flat rate.

Lots of people looking for an adventure have started to stay in Brooklyn where new hotels have been built. FYI

I don't know of any train or bus service which would take you from LGA or JFK to Cape Liberty..

Again, if you're going to fly into LGA or JFK on the same day as departure you've got to leave yourself a minimum of 4 hours spare time to allow for traffic and unexpected delays to get to Cape Liberty at a reasonable time without cutting it close. But it's not the best way to start a vacation.

Enjoy your time in NY-NJ. Hope you can see some sights.

Enjoy your cruising days.

Thanks to all who replied. The idea of making this a 'vacation within a vacation' by flying into LGA sounds great. In the past, we have taken a 4 day weekend in Manhattan at least once a year but haven't in the past 3 years so we are very much overdue. Have already checked out the MET! Such a great time to visit NYC. Why didn't we think of it sooner?:confused:

I would suggest JFK. LGA is having crowds due to construction. The ride from JFK to Port Liberty is about 45 minutes. But per others suggestions if you could fly in a couple of days before and enjoy Manhattan- that would be great. If you fly in advance, NJ isn't exactly the best place to stay. Near the cruise port, not anything to do and not easy to get to manhattan.

Keep in mind that if you go to JFK, a major way to get to Bayonne is over the Bayonne Bridge which has been subject to complete closures on week-ends due to construction of the bridge.

Goethals.

anyway, traveling from JFK to Cape Liberty is easily over $35 in tolls alone+ interstate fare and you've made a better choice to stay the night. you can also check out prices on uber and lyft to get you to Manhattan from the airport and over to Cape Liberty.

PS: from LGA is a "metered" fare not a flat rate -- flat rate only applies from JFK.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

I see quite a few flights from YYZ to EWR...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

True, but either the times do not work or if they do it is a pricey flight for just a hop and skip. Thanks for checking, though.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Great info to keep on hand. Looks like we either combine this cruise with a trip to Manhattan or fly the day of directly to EWR using Porter Airlines. I've discovered we can take the train downtown and pick up a free shuttle to the island airport.

What a wonderful resource this site is. Thanks again!